Wireless network will not enable - device malfunctioning - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless network will not enable - device malfunctioning - Wireless ; Hello - I am trying to get my wireless to work again. My roommates works no problem but mine says 'unavailable device malfuntioning' I do not have the Client for Microsoft Networks (I may have deleted it) that my roommate ...

  1. Wireless network will not enable - device malfunctioning

    Hello -
    I am trying to get my wireless to work again. My roommates works no problem
    but mine says 'unavailable device malfuntioning' I do not have the Client for
    Microsoft Networks (I may have deleted it) that my roommate has. Any help
    would be appreciated.

    Thanks Ashley

  2. Re: Wireless network will not enable - device malfunctioning

    Hi
    I fell for you thta your Wireless does not work. However it is impossible to
    provide you with any focused answer since there is No information about your
    system.
    May be this can Help, read and you might be able to solve it on your own.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Divafeva" wrote in message
    > Hello -
    > I am trying to get my wireless to work again. My roommates works no
    > problem
    > but mine says 'unavailable device malfuntioning' I do not have the Client
    > for
    > Microsoft Networks (I may have deleted it) that my roommate has. Any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks Ashley

  3. Re: Wireless network will not enable - device malfunctioning

    On 5-Feb-2007, =?Utf-8?B?RGl2YWZldmE=?= wrote:

    > I do not have the Client for
    > Microsoft Networks (I may have deleted it) that my roommate has.

    Likewise I do not have Client for Microsoft Networks - no tick in
    the box - wireless works ok.
    Start -> Connect To -> {select one of the connections} ->
    right click properties -> Networking
    All I have is Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) ticked.
    TCP/IP should be all you need for your wireless network to
    work.
    Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP then Properties button,
    You may not have
    Use the following IP address
    Use the following DNS server addresses
    So your PC can't find it's way to the router or outside
    world.
    Put the dotted quad IP addresses in manually and try again.
    Worth a try, doesn't take much time.
    If not go to a DOS box shell out.
    Do ipconfig -all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    Look in root C:\ open ipconfig.txt and post result here.

  4. Re: Wireless network will not enable - device malfunctioning

    ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On 5-Feb-2007, =?Utf-8?B?RGl2YWZldmE=?= wrote:
    >
    >> I do not have the Client for
    >> Microsoft Networks (I may have deleted it) that my roommate has.

    > Likewise I do not have Client for Microsoft Networks - no tick in
    > the box - wireless works ok.
    > Start -> Connect To -> {select one of the connections} ->
    > right click properties -> Networking
    > All I have is Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) ticked.
    > TCP/IP should be all you need for your wireless network to
    > work.
    > Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP then Properties button,
    > You may not have
    > Use the following IP address
    > Use the following DNS server addresses
    > So your PC can't find it's way to the router or outside
    > world.
    > Put the dotted quad IP addresses in manually and try again.
    > Worth a try, doesn't take much time.
    > If not go to a DOS box shell out.
    > Do ipconfig -all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    > Look in root C:\ open ipconfig.txt and post result here.

    Client for Microsoft Networks is not needed if all you want to do is
    access the Internet through the router. It is needed if you want to
    share resources among the computers connected (wire or wireless) to the
    router.

    For 'unavailable device malfuntioning', take a look in Device Manager
    and see if there are any devices there that show a yellow exclamation point.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking