Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access! - Wireless

This is a discussion on Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access! - Wireless ; I have just fitted a TP LINK wireless router TP-WR541G/542G and although I get an excellent signal I cant access the Internet at all. I am in Chile - previously the Lap Top has worked well wirelessly in UK I ...

  1. Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    I have just fitted a TP LINK wireless router TP-WR541G/542G and although I
    get an excellent signal I cant access the Internet at all.
    I am in Chile - previously the Lap Top has worked well wirelessly in UK
    I suspect its to do with the configuration but need some help if anyone can
    offer it!!
    Very many thanks
    --
    Thanks
    Andy

  2. Re: Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    Hi
    There is not enough technical information to give you a focused answer.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Andy" wrote in message
    news6A3DBC9-6992-4C63-A0F1-2E070602ED8D@microsoft.com...
    >I have just fitted a TP LINK wireless router TP-WR541G/542G and although I
    > get an excellent signal I cant access the Internet at all.
    > I am in Chile - previously the Lap Top has worked well wirelessly in UK
    > I suspect its to do with the configuration but need some help if anyone
    > can
    > offer it!!
    > Very many thanks
    > --
    > Thanks
    > Andy

  3. Re: Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    I think one of my problems is trying to find where to enter the WAN
    connection type. Can you help there at all?
    --
    Thanks
    Andy

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > There is not enough technical information to give you a focused answer.
    > May be this can Help.
    > My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Andy" wrote in message
    > news6A3DBC9-6992-4C63-A0F1-2E070602ED8D@microsoft.com...
    > >I have just fitted a TP LINK wireless router TP-WR541G/542G and although I
    > > get an excellent signal I cant access the Internet at all.
    > > I am in Chile - previously the Lap Top has worked well wirelessly in UK
    > > I suspect its to do with the configuration but need some help if anyone
    > > can
    > > offer it!!
    > > Very many thanks
    > > --
    > > Thanks
    > > Andy

  4. Re: Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    It tells me to open the NETWORK icon on Control Panel then look at
    CONFIGURATION. I cannot find the Network icon though! Cheers!
    --
    Thanks
    Andy

    "Andy" wrote:

    > I think one of my problems is trying to find where to enter the WAN
    > connection type. Can you help there at all?
    > --
    > Thanks
    > Andy
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > There is not enough technical information to give you a focused answer.
    > > May be this can Help.
    > > My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > > Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > > Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >
    > > "Andy" wrote in message
    > > news6A3DBC9-6992-4C63-A0F1-2E070602ED8D@microsoft.com...
    > > >I have just fitted a TP LINK wireless router TP-WR541G/542G and although I
    > > > get an excellent signal I cant access the Internet at all.
    > > > I am in Chile - previously the Lap Top has worked well wirelessly in UK
    > > > I suspect its to do with the configuration but need some help if anyone
    > > > can
    > > > offer it!!
    > > > Very many thanks
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Andy

  5. Re: Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    Hi
    If you do not have basic Network configuration nothing would work.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Andy" wrote in message
    > It tells me to open the NETWORK icon on Control Panel then look at
    > CONFIGURATION. I cannot find the Network icon though! Cheers!
    > --
    > Thanks
    > Andy
    >

    > "Andy" wrote:
    >
    >> I think one of my problems is trying to find where to enter the WAN
    >> connection type. Can you help there at all?
    >> --
    >> Thanks
    >> Andy
    >>

    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> > There is not enough technical information to give you a focused answer.
    >> > May be this can Help.
    >> > My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> > Wireless, Basic Configuration -
    >> > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> > Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >> >
    >> > "Andy" wrote in message
    >> > news6A3DBC9-6992-4C63-A0F1-2E070602ED8D@microsoft.com...

  6. Re: Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    First, please don't snip parts of the earlier posts when you reply. It
    makes it much harder to follow what's going on.

    Andy wrote:

    > I think one of my problems is trying to find where to enter the WAN
    > connection type. Can you help there at all?
    > It tells me to open the NETWORK icon on Control Panel then look at
    > CONFIGURATION. I cannot find the Network icon though! Cheers!

    The manual for your router is needlessly confusing. The first thing you
    need to do is to access your router's configuration utility. For a
    first try, forget about configuring your computer's IP address. The
    default settings will probably work just fine.

    I assume you have some sort of DSL or cable modem.
    Turn off the modem, the router, and the computer.
    Connect the cable or telephone line to the modem.
    Connect the modem to the router's WAN port with an Ethernet cable.
    Connect the router to the computer with an Ethernet cable (you can
    remove this later for wireless connectivity).

    Power on the modem.
    Power on the router.
    Power on the computer.

    Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 for the address and click "Go"
    (or enter or whatever is appropriate for your browser).

    You should now see your router's configuration login screen.

    Enter admin for both user name and password.

    Follow the Quick Set Up directions.

    You need to know the WAN connection type. You get this info from your
    Internet Service Provider. Generally, DSL uses PPPoE and Cable uses a
    "Dynamic IP." If you were given a username and password by your ISP,
    you probably use PPPoE.

    When it comes time to configure your computer's IP address (for example,
    if you can't connect to the router), open Control Panel. (Start >
    Settings > Control Panel). If you see "Pick a Category", click on
    "Network and Internet Connections." You should then see the "Network
    Connections" icon. If your Control Panel is set to "Classic View" you
    should see "Network Connections" directly. In the following screenshot,
    the Network Connections icon is in the second row, second icon from the
    right.
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ic/Index.shtml

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  7. Re: Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    Dear LEM,

    I've just picked-up on your posting to Andy about being unable to access the
    internet through a wireless modem.

    I recently signed-up for Virgin Broadband, installed the 'free' Thomson
    Speedtouch 330 modem successfully, and was 'blown away' by broadband.

    In a burst of enthusiasm, I bought a Buffalo WMBR - G54 wireless router
    (with built-in ADSL modem), their matched USB adaptor and a PCMCIA wireless
    cardbus to be able to also access the Web via my laptop.

    The laptop shows that with each of the wireless adaptors (when used one at a
    a time) I'm getting a strong link to the wireless modem router, but I've come
    to a dead stop when configuring the modem router. I've managed to access the
    configuration utility on the router's internal DHCP server and followed the
    'Configuration Wizard' but subsequently been unsuccessfully in accessing the
    Virgin Net broadband service.

    All the guidance I've read tells me that I need to obtain the following
    information to do this:-

    1) the specific Virgin Net I.P. address

    2) DNS addresses and domain names.

    I've asked Virgin to supply this information, but, once I input these values
    to the modem, will I need to create a new desktop Broadband connection icon,
    or will the current one (that points towards the original plug-in USB
    Speedtouch Modem) automatically send a demand for data to the wireless router
    through the USB adapter to the new modem?

    The wireless adaptors both show in Control Panel under "LAN or High-Speed
    Internet", but it's not clear to me whether the wireless modem router should
    show as an item under "Dialup", "Broadband" or no-where at all!

    Control Panel now shows (for the first time ever) two Network Bridge items,
    (both with crosses against them). Might hese have been created by plugging in
    an Ethernet cable between the router and laptop as prompted by the Buffalo
    user's guide?

    You'll gather that I'm a novice, so if I've asked a daft question, or a
    completely wrong one, I'm more than willing to accept robust advice to put me
    right.

    Thanks in anticipation . . .
    Martin Morgan

    --
    Martin Morgan

    "Lem" wrote:

    > First, please don't snip parts of the earlier posts when you reply. It
    > makes it much harder to follow what's going on.
    >
    > Andy wrote:
    >
    > > I think one of my problems is trying to find where to enter the WAN
    > > connection type. Can you help there at all?
    > > It tells me to open the NETWORK icon on Control Panel then look at
    > > CONFIGURATION. I cannot find the Network icon though! Cheers!

    > The manual for your router is needlessly confusing. The first thing you
    > need to do is to access your router's configuration utility. For a
    > first try, forget about configuring your computer's IP address. The
    > default settings will probably work just fine.
    >
    > I assume you have some sort of DSL or cable modem.
    > Turn off the modem, the router, and the computer.
    > Connect the cable or telephone line to the modem.
    > Connect the modem to the router's WAN port with an Ethernet cable.
    > Connect the router to the computer with an Ethernet cable (you can
    > remove this later for wireless connectivity).
    >
    > Power on the modem.
    > Power on the router.
    > Power on the computer.
    >
    > Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 for the address and click "Go"
    > (or enter or whatever is appropriate for your browser).
    >
    > You should now see your router's configuration login screen.
    >
    > Enter admin for both user name and password.
    >
    > Follow the Quick Set Up directions.
    >
    > You need to know the WAN connection type. You get this info from your
    > Internet Service Provider. Generally, DSL uses PPPoE and Cable uses a
    > "Dynamic IP." If you were given a username and password by your ISP,
    > you probably use PPPoE.
    >
    > When it comes time to configure your computer's IP address (for example,
    > if you can't connect to the router), open Control Panel. (Start >
    > Settings > Control Panel). If you see "Pick a Category", click on
    > "Network and Internet Connections." You should then see the "Network
    > Connections" icon. If your Control Panel is set to "Classic View" you
    > should see "Network Connections" directly. In the following screenshot,
    > the Network Connections icon is in the second row, second icon from the
    > right.
    > http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ic/Index.shtml
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  8. Re: Excellent wireless signal - but no Internet access!

    Martin Morgan wrote:
    > Dear LEM,
    >
    > I've just picked-up on your posting to Andy about being unable to access the
    > internet through a wireless modem.
    >
    > I recently signed-up for Virgin Broadband, installed the 'free' Thomson
    > Speedtouch 330 modem successfully, and was 'blown away' by broadband.
    >
    > In a burst of enthusiasm, I bought a Buffalo WMBR - G54 wireless router
    > (with built-in ADSL modem), their matched USB adaptor and a PCMCIA wireless
    > cardbus to be able to also access the Web via my laptop.
    >
    > The laptop shows that with each of the wireless adaptors (when used one at a
    > a time) I'm getting a strong link to the wireless modem router, but I've come
    > to a dead stop when configuring the modem router. I've managed to access the
    > configuration utility on the router's internal DHCP server and followed the
    > 'Configuration Wizard' but subsequently been unsuccessfully in accessing the
    > Virgin Net broadband service.
    >
    > All the guidance I've read tells me that I need to obtain the following
    > information to do this:-
    >
    > 1) the specific Virgin Net I.P. address
    >
    > 2) DNS addresses and domain names.
    >
    > I've asked Virgin to supply this information, but, once I input these values
    > to the modem, will I need to create a new desktop Broadband connection icon,
    > or will the current one (that points towards the original plug-in USB
    > Speedtouch Modem) automatically send a demand for data to the wireless router
    > through the USB adapter to the new modem?
    >
    > The wireless adaptors both show in Control Panel under "LAN or High-Speed
    > Internet", but it's not clear to me whether the wireless modem router should
    > show as an item under "Dialup", "Broadband" or no-where at all!
    >
    > Control Panel now shows (for the first time ever) two Network Bridge items,
    > (both with crosses against them). Might hese have been created by plugging in
    > an Ethernet cable between the router and laptop as prompted by the Buffalo
    > user's guide?
    >
    > You'll gather that I'm a novice, so if I've asked a daft question, or a
    > completely wrong one, I'm more than willing to accept robust advice to put me
    > right.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation . . .
    > Martin Morgan

    Is your issue that you can't access the Internet at all, or that you
    can't access it via a wireless connection. I assume the former (that
    is, you can't even get to the Internet via an Ethernet cable connection
    to the Buffalo).

    I don't know anything about Virgin Broadband. I can say, however, that
    I think you did the right thing in buying something to replace the
    Speedtouch USB modem, because most routers will not take a USB input (I
    would have bought a separate modem and wireless router, but that's not
    so important).

    If by a "desktop Broadband connection icon" you mean that this was an
    icon on your desktop that you double clicked and then entered your
    username and password, then you probably have what is known as PPPoE
    service for your DSL connection. In that case, you shouldn't need a
    "specific Virgin Net IP address" or any DNS addresses and domain names.
    Again, however, I don't know how Virgin Net DSL works. Where did you
    get the information to the contrary?

    In the US, the typical DSL service is PPPoE, and all one needs to do to
    configure the modem portion of your Buffalo WBMR-G54 is to enter your
    username and password in the appropriate place. (Important - this
    refers to the username and password you received from Virgin Net, NOT
    the username/password that gets you into the WBMR-G54 configuration
    utility).

    I don't know where the two Network Bridge icons came from, and without
    more detail (such as info that might be revealed by clicking on
    "properties), I can't even speculate. I doubt that they had anything to
    do with connecting to the Buffalo via Ethernet cable. All
    wireless-capable routers recommend that you do your configuration via a
    wired connection, because otherwise, as you change wireless parameters,
    you may lose connection to the router.

    The router may or may not show up in Network Connections. If it does,
    it may appear as a "Gateway" device or something similar. If so, you
    can click on that icon to configure the router; otherwise, you configure
    the router via its web interface.

    You will not use any desktop icon to connect anymore. One feature of
    most routers is that they automatically will initiate a connection to
    your DSL service, either on a timed basis or when required.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking