good wireless connection, but cannot browse - Wireless

This is a discussion on good wireless connection, but cannot browse - Wireless ; I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service. Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I can't use IE or Firefox ...

  1. good wireless connection, but cannot browse

    I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service.
    Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to
    wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I
    can't use IE or Firefox to browse any web sites. My MSN Messenger
    can't login either.

    The weird thing is that I can ping www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and
    get the correct responses. If I put yahoo's IP into IE/Firefox's
    address bar, I can connect to that website. I can also use telnet to
    connect to some other servers. No problem with email sending and
    receiving in Thunderbird either.

    I tried different ways including disable Windows firewall, set fixed
    DNS and IP address and/or set automaic IP and DNS. None of them
    works.

    BTW, I am using the Orinoco/Lucent wireless adapter with Windows XP
    SP2.

    I appreciate if anyone can help me sovle this problem.
    Thanks

    Roy

  2. Re: good wireless connection, but cannot browse

    My guess is you have a third party firewall that is blocking the connection.
    Or your DNS is not configured correctly are you using a static setting, or a
    DHCP server? I suggest that you use Ipconfig /all and look at the DNS values
    when connected by wire and wireless are they the same, for both adapters
    when connected?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "Roy" wrote in message
    news:1170286310.625069.205590@l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service.
    > Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to
    > wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I
    > can't use IE or Firefox to browse any web sites. My MSN Messenger
    > can't login either.
    >
    > The weird thing is that I can ping www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and
    > get the correct responses. If I put yahoo's IP into IE/Firefox's
    > address bar, I can connect to that website. I can also use telnet to
    > connect to some other servers. No problem with email sending and
    > receiving in Thunderbird either.
    >
    > I tried different ways including disable Windows firewall, set fixed
    > DNS and IP address and/or set automaic IP and DNS. None of them
    > works.
    >
    > BTW, I am using the Orinoco/Lucent wireless adapter with Windows XP
    > SP2.
    >
    > I appreciate if anyone can help me sovle this problem.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Roy

+ Reply to Thread