wireless connection good, but cannot browse - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless connection good, but cannot browse - Wireless ; I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service. Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I can't use IE or Firefox ...

  1. wireless connection good, but cannot browse

    I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service.
    Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to
    wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I
    can't use IE or Firefox to browse any web sites. My MSN Messenger
    can't login either.

    The weird thing is that Skype can login with no problem. I can also
    ping www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and get the correct responses. If
    I put yahoo's IP into IE/Firefox's address bar, I can connect to that
    website. I can also use telnet to connect to some other servers. No
    problem with checking and sending emails in Thunderbird.

    I tried different ways including disable Windows firewall, set fixed
    DNS and IP address and/or set automaic IP and DNS. None of them
    works.

    BTW, I am using the Orinoco/Lucent wireless adapter with Windows XP
    SP2.

    I appreciate if anyone can help me sovle this problem.
    Thanks

    Roy

  2. Re: wireless connection good, but cannot browse

    Hi
    Assuming that you switch to Wireless by unplugging the wire connection.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Roy" wrote in message
    news:1170279685.418649.31880@j27g2000cwj.googlegro ups.com...
    >I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service.
    > Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to
    > wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I
    > can't use IE or Firefox to browse any web sites. My MSN Messenger
    > can't login either.
    >
    > The weird thing is that Skype can login with no problem. I can also
    > ping www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and get the correct responses. If
    > I put yahoo's IP into IE/Firefox's address bar, I can connect to that
    > website. I can also use telnet to connect to some other servers. No
    > problem with checking and sending emails in Thunderbird.
    >
    > I tried different ways including disable Windows firewall, set fixed
    > DNS and IP address and/or set automaic IP and DNS. None of them
    > works.
    >
    > BTW, I am using the Orinoco/Lucent wireless adapter with Windows XP
    > SP2.
    >
    > I appreciate if anyone can help me sovle this problem.
    > Thanks
    >

    > Roy

  3. RE: wireless connection good, but cannot browse

    "Roy" wrote:

    > I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service.
    > Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to
    > wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I
    > can't use IE or Firefox to browse any web sites. My MSN Messenger
    > can't login either.
    >
    > The weird thing is that Skype can login with no problem. I can also
    > ping www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and get the correct responses. If
    > I put yahoo's IP into IE/Firefox's address bar, I can connect to that
    > website. I can also use telnet to connect to some other servers. No
    > problem with checking and sending emails in Thunderbird.
    >
    > I tried different ways including disable Windows firewall, set fixed
    > DNS and IP address and/or set automaic IP and DNS. None of them
    > works.
    >
    > BTW, I am using the Orinoco/Lucent wireless adapter with Windows XP
    > SP2.
    >
    > I appreciate if anyone can help me sovle this problem.
    > Thanks
    >

    > Roy

    Try this;
    Open a Run command and type in:
    CMD.exe click [OK] and on the new prompt command type this:
    ipconfig /flushdns (Note the space between ipconfig_/) Hit Enter on your
    Keyboard then type this in the new prompt command:
    ipconfig /release or renew (type both) then Hit Enter after each command.
    On the new prompt command type this:
    netsh winsock reset Hit Enter then Type Exit to close the command prompt
    window.
    Reboot your machine and try to connect.
    If still no joy then try this;
    Click Start >> control panel >> Network and Internet connections >> Internet
    Options.
    Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down under Browsing option and uncheck
    this:
    [ ] Enable third party browser extensions (Req Rest)
    then click on Programs Tab then click on Manage Add-Ons and disable all
    non-verified Add-Ons ( you need to renable them later one-by-one and see the
    culprit and disable it or remove it).
    Reboot your machine and see if you can establish connection.
    HTH.
    Let us know.
    Regards,
    nass
    --------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

  4. Re: wireless connection good, but cannot browse

    On Jan 31, 3:40 pm, nass wrote:
    > "Roy" wrote:
    > > I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service.
    > > Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to
    > > wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I
    > > can't use IE or Firefox to browse any web sites. My MSN Messenger
    > > can't login either.

    > > The weird thing is that Skype can login with no problem. I can also
    > > pingwww.yahoo.comorwww.google.comand get the correct responses. If
    > > I put yahoo's IP into IE/Firefox's address bar, I can connect to that
    > > website. I can also use telnet to connect to some other servers. No
    > > problem with checking and sending emails in Thunderbird.

    > > I tried different ways including disable Windows firewall, set fixed
    > > DNS and IP address and/or set automaic IP and DNS. None of them
    > > works.

    > > BTW, I am using the Orinoco/Lucent wireless adapter with Windows XP
    > > SP2.

    > > I appreciate if anyone can help me sovle this problem.
    > > Thanks

    > > Roy

    > Try this;
    > Open a Run command and type in:
    > CMD.exe click [OK] and on the new prompt command type this:
    > ipconfig /flushdns (Note the space between ipconfig_/) Hit Enter on your
    > Keyboard then type this in the new prompt command:
    > ipconfig /release or renew (type both) then Hit Enter after each command.
    > On the new prompt command type this:
    > netsh winsock reset Hit Enter then Type Exit to close the command prompt
    > window.
    > Reboot your machine and try to connect.
    > If still no joy then try this;
    > Click Start >> control panel >> Network and Internet connections >> Internet
    > Options.
    > Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down under Browsing option and uncheck
    > this:
    > [ ] Enable third party browser extensions (Req Rest)
    > then click on Programs Tab then click on Manage Add-Ons and disable all
    > non-verified Add-Ons ( you need to renable them later one-by-one and see the
    > culprit and disable it or remove it).
    > Reboot your machine and see if you can establish connection.
    > HTH.
    > Let us know.
    > Regards,
    > nass
    > --------www.nasstec.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

    Still does not work.
    But if I disable the WEP Open Encryption, the wireless will work
    properly. Odd...
    Of course I don't want to disable the security protection of this
    wireless network.

  5. Re: wireless connection good, but cannot browse

    Hi
    Try to use the actual Hex string that is generated in the Wireless Router
    instead of the pass phrase.
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/wep_pass.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Roy" wrote in message
    news:1170302951.024960.121030@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Jan 31, 3:40 pm, nass wrote:
    >> "Roy" wrote:
    >> > I have a 2wire gateway installed with AT&T Yahoo DSL Service.
    >> > Everything is good when using a Ethernet cable. When I switch to
    >> > wireless, the system tray shows that the connection is built. But I
    >> > can't use IE or Firefox to browse any web sites. My MSN Messenger
    >> > can't login either.

    >> > The weird thing is that Skype can login with no problem. I can also
    >> > pingwww.yahoo.comorwww.google.comand get the correct responses. If
    >> > I put yahoo's IP into IE/Firefox's address bar, I can connect to that
    >> > website. I can also use telnet to connect to some other servers. No
    >> > problem with checking and sending emails in Thunderbird.

    >> > I tried different ways including disable Windows firewall, set fixed
    >> > DNS and IP address and/or set automaic IP and DNS. None of them
    >> > works.

    >> > BTW, I am using the Orinoco/Lucent wireless adapter with Windows XP
    >> > SP2.

    >> > I appreciate if anyone can help me sovle this problem.
    >> > Thanks

    >> > Roy

    >> Try this;
    >> Open a Run command and type in:
    >> CMD.exe click [OK] and on the new prompt command type this:
    >> ipconfig /flushdns (Note the space between ipconfig_/) Hit Enter on your
    >> Keyboard then type this in the new prompt command:
    >> ipconfig /release or renew (type both) then Hit Enter after each command.
    >> On the new prompt command type this:
    >> netsh winsock reset Hit Enter then Type Exit to close the command prompt
    >> window.
    >> Reboot your machine and try to connect.
    >> If still no joy then try this;
    >> Click Start >> control panel >> Network and Internet connections >>
    >> Internet
    >> Options.
    >> Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down under Browsing option and
    >> uncheck
    >> this:
    >> [ ] Enable third party browser extensions (Req Rest)
    >> then click on Programs Tab then click on Manage Add-Ons and disable all
    >> non-verified Add-Ons ( you need to renable them later one-by-one and see
    >> the
    >> culprit and disable it or remove it).
    >> Reboot your machine and see if you can establish connection.
    >> HTH.
    >> Let us know.
    >> Regards,
    >> nass
    >> --------www.nasstec.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

    > Still does not work.
    > But if I disable the WEP Open Encryption, the wireless will work
    > properly. Odd...
    > Of course I don't want to disable the security protection of this
    > wireless network.

  6. Re: wireless connection good, but cannot browse

    On Jan 31, 8:25 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > Try to use the actual Hex string that is generated in the Wireless Router
    > instead of the pass phrase.http://www.ezlan.net/example/wep_pass.jpg
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Roy" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1170302951.024960.121030@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > >> Try this;
    > >> Open a Run command and type in:
    > >> CMD.exe click [OK] and on the new prompt command type this:
    > >> ipconfig /flushdns (Note the space between ipconfig_/) Hit Enter on your
    > >> Keyboard then type this in the new prompt command:
    > >> ipconfig /release or renew (type both) then Hit Enter after each command.
    > >> On the new prompt command type this:
    > >> netsh winsock reset Hit Enter then Type Exit to close the command prompt
    > >> window.
    > >> Reboot your machine and try to connect.
    > >> If still no joy then try this;
    > >> Click Start >> control panel >> Network and Internet connections >>
    > >> Internet
    > >> Options.
    > >> Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down under Browsing option and
    > >> uncheck
    > >> this:
    > >> [ ] Enable third party browser extensions (Req Rest)
    > >> then click on Programs Tab then click on Manage Add-Ons and disable all
    > >> non-verified Add-Ons ( you need to renable them later one-by-one and see
    > >> the
    > >> culprit and disable it or remove it).
    > >> Reboot your machine and see if you can establish connection.
    > >> HTH.
    > >> Let us know.
    > >> Regards,
    > >> nass
    > >> --------www.nasstec.co.uk-Hide quoted text -

    > > Still does not work.
    > > But if I disable the WEP Open Encryption, the wireless will work
    > > properly. Odd...
    > > Of course I don't want to disable the security protection of this
    > > wireless network.- Hide quoted text -

    My 2wire gateway does not offer this choice. It only has two options.
    1. Use default encryption key 2. Use custom pass phrase. I tried both.
    Both way can let me connect to the network, sending/receiving email,
    telnet, ping, but not browsing and msn messenger.

    One more thing, I want to try WPA-PSK. But in my wireless network
    properties setup, I didn't find this. For network authentication,
    there are only Open and Shared; for data encryption, there are only
    WEP and Disabled.
    Roy

  7. Re: wireless connection good, but cannot browse

    "Roy" wrote:

    > On Jan 31, 8:25 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Try to use the actual Hex string that is generated in the Wireless Router
    > > instead of the pass phrase.http://www.ezlan.net/example/wep_pass.jpg
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >
    > > "Roy" wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:1170302951.024960.121030@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > > > Still does not work.
    > > > But if I disable the WEP Open Encryption, the wireless will work
    > > > properly. Odd...
    > > > Of course I don't want to disable the security protection of this
    > > > wireless network.- Hide quoted text -

    > My 2wire gateway does not offer this choice. It only has two options.
    > 1. Use default encryption key 2. Use custom pass phrase. I tried both.
    > Both way can let me connect to the network, sending/receiving email,
    > telnet, ping, but not browsing and msn messenger.
    >
    > One more thing, I want to try WPA-PSK. But in my wireless network
    > properties setup, I didn't find this. For network authentication,
    > there are only Open and Shared; for data encryption, there are only
    > WEP and Disabled.
    > Roy

    Yes you are right gateway just offer WEP 64-bit key encryption, you need to
    look at the bottom of the Modem for the Serial Number and the WEP Key the
    default one and try to Enable the Wireless Option on the Modem Web page by
    accessing it and go through the setup again and input the encryption.
    Here is the setup option again for 2wire gateway:
    http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/100_...tall_Guide.pdf
    http://gateway.2wire.net/setup

    I don't know what you ar4e using for wireless but I will assume 2wire
    wireless USB:
    www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/802.11gUSBadapter.pdf

    Do you have XP up2date and you have SP2 installed?.
    Try to leave the option for Open on the wireless, this equal to broadcasting
    your SSID to be picked up and you will be safe if your Encryption is strong.
    Note when you said "Open or shared", if you open your wireless and right
    click it and then select properties.
    Under Wireless networks Tab, select your connection name (SSID) and click
    properties, there on the 2Wire gatway or Roy2Wire under Association Tab,
    under this:
    Wireless network key:

    Network Authentication [ ][v] drop down this and
    you will get Open, Shared, WPA, WPA-PSK.

    Dat encryption [ ][v] you should see TKIP,AES
    selec the first with WPA-PSK.
    Then you can enter the Key (but you need to change that on the Modem Page
    first to WPA-PSK) to Match the Authentication.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    nass
    www.nasstec.co.uk