Strong signal, but wireless access keeps dropping - Wireless

This is a discussion on Strong signal, but wireless access keeps dropping - Wireless ; Good Morning Everyone, I hope everyone is doing great today. Someone here at the office has a computer at home with a internet access through a local cable company and has a wireless router set up to access the net ...

  1. Strong signal, but wireless access keeps dropping

    Good Morning Everyone,

    I hope everyone is doing great today. Someone here at the office has a
    computer at home with a internet access through a local cable company and
    has a wireless router set up to access the net via his laptop. There is a
    desktop the plugs into the wireless router, and he uses the laptop to go to
    other areas of the house and access the net. He has a strong signal with
    his laptop but he keeps loosing the connection. I went to the house and
    tried to figure out what it was but we don't have wireless at the office
    (small office) so I'm not that familiar with it. He's using WEP. We've
    tried switching to WPA, but he still drops the connection. We tried with no
    security at all and he still drops the signal.

    I took the laptop and used it at my brothers house because they have
    wireless net access also, but the laptop didn't drop the connection. So I
    don't think it is the laptop.

    His desktop doesn't seem to have a problem with the connection, it's
    connected via LAN cable directly into the wireless router.(3Com) We had a
    Linksys I think before and thought it might have been the router, but not
    so. Last time I was there he had speakers and other things NEAR the router
    and we thought that could have been it so we moved them and it seem to work
    fine for a while.

    I don't understand, when I look in the tray and open up the wireless
    settings, it shows all bars and a strong signal. We'll be online and all of
    a sudden will lose the connection and get a page not found error. We'll
    look and the connection goes, even though it's set to automatic connection
    it still drops. I really don't have any idea what else it could be.

    I tried to put as much information on this topic as I thought is necessary.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Using XP SP2. I think he also tried or has
    installed IE7. This stuff started happening before we recently upgraded the
    browser. Please advise. Thanks!

    Sincerely,
    Anthony Smith
    In God We Trust!

  2. Re: Strong signal, but wireless access keeps dropping

    Anthony Smith wrote:
    > Good Morning Everyone,
    >
    > I hope everyone is doing great today. Someone here at the office has a
    > computer at home with a internet access through a local cable company and
    > has a wireless router set up to access the net via his laptop. There is a
    > desktop the plugs into the wireless router, and he uses the laptop to go to
    > other areas of the house and access the net. He has a strong signal with
    > his laptop but he keeps loosing the connection. I went to the house and
    > tried to figure out what it was but we don't have wireless at the office
    > (small office) so I'm not that familiar with it. He's using WEP. We've
    > tried switching to WPA, but he still drops the connection. We tried with no
    > security at all and he still drops the signal.
    >
    > I took the laptop and used it at my brothers house because they have
    > wireless net access also, but the laptop didn't drop the connection. So I
    > don't think it is the laptop.
    >
    > His desktop doesn't seem to have a problem with the connection, it's
    > connected via LAN cable directly into the wireless router.(3Com) We had a
    > Linksys I think before and thought it might have been the router, but not
    > so. Last time I was there he had speakers and other things NEAR the router
    > and we thought that could have been it so we moved them and it seem to work
    > fine for a while.
    >
    > I don't understand, when I look in the tray and open up the wireless
    > settings, it shows all bars and a strong signal. We'll be online and all of
    > a sudden will lose the connection and get a page not found error. We'll
    > look and the connection goes, even though it's set to automatic connection
    > it still drops. I really don't have any idea what else it could be.
    >
    > I tried to put as much information on this topic as I thought is necessary.
    > Does anyone have any ideas? Using XP SP2. I think he also tried or has
    > installed IE7. This stuff started happening before we recently upgraded the
    > browser. Please advise. Thanks!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Anthony Smith
    > In God We Trust!

    Your friend should use WPA, not WEP.

    As to dropping the connection, this most likely is due to radio
    interference. This could be caused by the construction of his home or
    interference from other sources of 2.4 GHz radio signals in the
    vicinity. Such sources include cordless telephones, cordless
    headphones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, and neighboring wireless
    networks. For the latter, access his router's configuration utility and
    check to see which channel the router is using. Most default to
    channel 6. Although it appears that there are 11 channels available (in
    the US), because of overlap you should use channels 1, 6, or 11. Change
    the channel to channel 1 and see if that helps. If not, try channel 11.

    In addition, go into the Properties of the wireless adapter and ensure
    that any power save settings are disabled.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. RE: Strong signal, but wireless access keeps dropping

    I have been having the same issues...
    I have found some improvement after reinstalling ot even better upgrading
    the driver for your PC's wireless card.
    what make & model is your PC?

    Try resetting your router to factory settings and starting again.
    In addition check to see if your router has a firmware update available from
    the manufaturer... sometimes they address issues that have been found.

    With all the wireless networks out there it could be that someone in your
    range is using the same channel you are... try changing channels.
    The are a few free programs out the that will scan for wireless neworks and
    provide info about them such as signal strength, channel, etc.
    Try: Network Stumbler - http://www.netstumbler.com/

    Broadcom makes a large portion of the chipsets for wireless cards for
    manufacturers. If you find that your wirelees card is one download the
    updated driver which comes with a utility to detect wireless networks. It's
    free and it provides info on detectable wireless networks as well as address
    the broadcom
    exploit:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=365

    download the driver and broadcom utility here:

    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NET...-802-11g.shtml

    I have been able to minimize the issue, but as of yet have not found a total
    resolution. I have found that for some reason that corrupted drivers are
    still a major
    Microsoft issue... not matter how many letters they add after their latest
    operating
    systems... Vista... MisdYa.

    Hope this helps!
    Good luck :-)

    "Anthony Smith" wrote:

    > Good Morning Everyone,
    >
    > I hope everyone is doing great today. Someone here at the office has a
    > computer at home with a internet access through a local cable company and
    > has a wireless router set up to access the net via his laptop. There is a
    > desktop the plugs into the wireless router, and he uses the laptop to go to
    > other areas of the house and access the net. He has a strong signal with
    > his laptop but he keeps loosing the connection. I went to the house and
    > tried to figure out what it was but we don't have wireless at the office
    > (small office) so I'm not that familiar with it. He's using WEP. We've
    > tried switching to WPA, but he still drops the connection. We tried with no
    > security at all and he still drops the signal.
    >
    > I took the laptop and used it at my brothers house because they have
    > wireless net access also, but the laptop didn't drop the connection. So I
    > don't think it is the laptop.
    >
    > His desktop doesn't seem to have a problem with the connection, it's
    > connected via LAN cable directly into the wireless router.(3Com) We had a
    > Linksys I think before and thought it might have been the router, but not
    > so. Last time I was there he had speakers and other things NEAR the router
    > and we thought that could have been it so we moved them and it seem to work
    > fine for a while.
    >
    > I don't understand, when I look in the tray and open up the wireless
    > settings, it shows all bars and a strong signal. We'll be online and all of
    > a sudden will lose the connection and get a page not found error. We'll
    > look and the connection goes, even though it's set to automatic connection
    > it still drops. I really don't have any idea what else it could be.
    >
    > I tried to put as much information on this topic as I thought is necessary.
    > Does anyone have any ideas? Using XP SP2. I think he also tried or has
    > installed IE7. This stuff started happening before we recently upgraded the
    > browser. Please advise. Thanks!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Anthony Smith
    > In God We Trust!

  4. Re: Strong signal, but wireless access keeps dropping

    ok thanks for the reply everyone. I'll see what switching the channel does.