PATRIOT 6000 - Wireless

This is a discussion on PATRIOT 6000 - Wireless ; need to know if my laptop can be used for wireless...dont know if it has wireless enabled as i cannot connect with my new netgear range max router which uses the ethernet cable.....can someone help me as dont want to ...

  1. PATRIOT 6000

    need to know if my laptop can be used for wireless...dont know if it has
    wireless enabled as i cannot connect with my new netgear range max router
    which uses the ethernet cable.....can someone help me as dont want to waste
    anymore time trying to get it to work if it not got software in it..have been
    trying for ages!!!!!
    thanks and hope!
    sterny

  2. Re: PATRIOT 6000

    "sterny" wrote in message
    > need to know if my laptop can be used for wireless...dont know if it has
    > wireless enabled

    have you a) looked in your user manual and b) compared that with the model
    number you have?

  3. Re: PATRIOT 6000

    aaaah.... well user manual cant find have tried on my system info and it
    doesnt tell me if wireless enabled but does have ethernet adapter on it
    sterny

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "sterny" wrote in message
    > > need to know if my laptop can be used for wireless...dont know if it has
    > > wireless enabled

    > have you a) looked in your user manual and b) compared that with the model
    > number you have?

  4. Re: PATRIOT 6000

    sterny wrote:
    > aaaah.... well user manual cant find have tried on my system info and it
    > doesnt tell me if wireless enabled but does have ethernet adapter on it
    > sterny
    >
    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >
    >> "sterny" wrote in message
    >>> need to know if my laptop can be used for wireless...dont know if it has
    >>> wireless enabled

    >> have you a) looked in your user manual and b) compared that with the model
    >> number you have?

    "ethernet adapter" is not equal to "wireless network adapter"

    Sounds as if you do not have built-in wireless capability. As near as I
    can determine, Patriot laptops used to be made by a company named Acom,
    which was bought 7 or so years ago by Toshiba. The vast majority of
    Google hits for "Patriot 6000" relate to batteries -- it must go through
    them quickly. I didn't even find any Patriot laptops for sale on eBay
    -- this must be a very old and obsolete computer.

    You MAY be able to use wireless IF you are using Windows 98se or more
    recent Windows operating system.

    If you are running Win 98se or more recent, you can buy a separate
    wireless adapter, either a PC-card (Cardbus) adapter (if your laptop has
    a Cardbus slot) or a USB adapter (if your laptop has a USB jack).

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  5. RE: PATRIOT 6000

    "sterny" wrote:

    > need to know if my laptop can be used for wireless...dont know if it has
    > wireless enabled as i cannot connect with my new netgear range max router
    > which uses the ethernet cable.....can someone help me as dont want to waste
    > anymore time trying to get it to work if it not got software in it..have been
    > trying for ages!!!!!
    > thanks and hope!
    > sterny

    Try this Right click My Computer and select Properties, then click Hardware
    Tab and click on Device manager.
    On Device Manager scroll down to Network adapters:
    say for Ex:
    [ ] Broadcom 440X 10/100 Integ controller
    [ ] Samsung SWL27000 11b/g miniPCI WLAN Adapter <--- this a wireless
    Adapter installed if it have Red Cross or X that means it is Disabled, if not
    that mean it need to be configured to talk to the Router and know each other
    language (which the IP, Authen Key and configurations).
    If it has the Red X then Right click it and select Enable and close the
    Device manager.
    = Click Start >> Control Panel ( here you will see a wireless Network Setup
    wizard) if you want you can select that option and run the Wizard to set up
    the wireless.
    Or you can click Network Connections and there Right click the Wireless
    Network Connection Icon and select Enable and then again select Properties
    from the list.
    On the wireless Properties Under General :
    Connect using:
    [ Samsung Wireless card here ] [ Configure] you click this to see the
    settings
    This connection uses the following Items:
    Client for MS Net
    File and printer shar
    QoS Packet
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) select this and click on Properties to bring
    up the TCP/IP properties window.
    There select to obtain Automatic IP.
    Then click on Wireless Networks and select let windows to manage My Wireless
    network settings

    Also you can view the wireless networks.
    If your Wireless network SSID not in the Preferred Networks click on the Add
    button to add it and Fill in the details (SSID, KEY (WEP/WPA)..etc..).
    After finishing setting up click OK and Reboot your machine or you may try
    to see if you will get the connection, be sure the WZC is enabled in the
    services to get the windows manage the wirelss for you.
    To do that open a Run Command and type in:
    services.msc click [OK] and scroll down to Windows Zero Wireless
    Configuration be sure this set to Auto.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    nass