Hi guys,

I purchased a Compaq V2417AU (V2000 series) laptop over a year ago
(jan '06) and I later purchased a D-Link DWL-G630 54mbit/s (wireless
G) PC Card (32bit Cardbus card).

I noticed the asymmetric speed issues immediately, with 3Mbyte/s
downstream and 900KByte/s upstream.

Under Linux Ubuntu Dapper with the Madwifi drivers I noticed I had a
good 3Mbps up/down.

I put it down to a driver issue as I had nothing else to test the card
with.

Now I have finally purchased the wireless Rangemax 240 WPNT121 Usb 2.0
and WPNT511 PCMCIA 32-bit cardbus card for my WPNT834 Rangemax 240
router, throughput is very high with the USB2.0 unit plugged into my
PC around 100mbit/s with my laptop connected via ethernet. With my new
cardbus card I still get 3Mbyte/s / 900KByte/s.

This is extremely frustrating for me, as you can understand.

My Laptop uses a Texas Instruments 6x21/7x21 driver, i've taken the
laptop apart and it indeed uses the TI PCI7411 chipset.

I have checked online documentation for this chipset provided by TI,
the card supports up to 100/200/400mbit/s it appears also that the
PCMCIA cardbus standard allows 33/66/133mbyte/s burst speed depending
on data size (byte/word/dword) and it states that no drivers are
needed under WIndows as there is a pcmcia.sys driver provided under
Windows (by MS from TI? it's driver version 5.1.2600.2180 xpsp_sp2_rtm.
040803-2158). I have used the compaq provided driver version 2.0.0.6
and I have tried to install the sony version 2.0.0.11 but the sony
installer blocks me from proceeding and the drivers do not extract
anywhere. I believe these only install flashmedia card drivers and
merely update the name of the cardbus controller.

This time I have installed Ubuntu Edgy 7.04 herd 2 (alpha 2) and I
have compiled ndiswrapper 0.36rc1, ndiswrapper allows you to use
windows drivers under Linux.

I have so far managed to attain 7.33 Mbyte/s (i.e. 400MB in 55
seconds) downstream and 10.6 Mbyte/s upstream.

So I say, please can you fix this issue, I will also be contacting
Texas Instruments. Compaq have not bothered to get back to me on this
so far.

Kind regards

Joe

My original post was in reply to this thread:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless/browse_frm/thread/
8a118b5de8130ad1/fd30b7a645fcf9ab?lnk=gst&q=asymmetrical
+wireless&rnum=1#fd30b7a645fcf9ab

Here is my post on the MS wireless networking group
http://groups.google.com.au/group/
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless/browse_frm/thread/
1c2491099dc556e0/5013080d935daea5#5013080d935daea5

here's a thread on another forum
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...11&p=-1#bottom