Automatic, Manual, and On Demand? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Automatic, Manual, and On Demand? - Wireless ; I've been looking through the Windows XP's online help, Google, and Grouples for an explanation of what these mean. I can sort of guess what they mean, but only guess, and I'm not sure what happens in different situations when ...

  1. Automatic, Manual, and On Demand?

    I've been looking through the Windows XP's online help, Google, and
    Grouples for an explanation of what these mean. I can sort of guess
    what they mean, but only guess, and I'm not sure what happens in
    different situations when you have a list of networks with different
    settings. Thanks for pointing out any informative websites.

    I'm also looking for where to control this setting. Currently looking
    at the Wireless Network Connection Properties panel, Wirless Networks
    tab, double-clicking the entries in the Preferred Networks list. In the
    resulting (new) Properties panel, you can check the automatic box in the
    Connection tab. That makes it "On Demand". But what about Manual? I'm
    somewhat surprised that explicit explanations aren't in the online help.

    Thanks if you can point out other sources...

  2. Re: Automatic, Manual, and On Demand?

    Hi

    Since it is a Wireless newsgroup, I would try to guess what you refer to
    accessing Wireless networks.

    If you are seeing in your Wireless available Networks many Networks that is
    OK. However, the way to access them is up to the owner. Unless the owner
    gives you the access parameters, you cannot, and should not access them.

    If you have, you own Wireless Network with your own Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router or Access Point you can configure it with your own parameters and
    access them at your own will.

    Here how, Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "M$ User" wrote in message
    > I've been looking through the Windows XP's online help, Google, and
    > Grouples for an explanation of what these mean. I can sort of guess
    > what they mean, but only guess, and I'm not sure what happens in
    > different situations when you have a list of networks with different
    > settings. Thanks for pointing out any informative websites.
    >
    > I'm also looking for where to control this setting. Currently looking
    > at the Wireless Network Connection Properties panel, Wirless Networks
    > tab, double-clicking the entries in the Preferred Networks list. In the
    > resulting (new) Properties panel, you can check the automatic box in the
    > Connection tab. That makes it "On Demand". But what about Manual? I'm
    > somewhat surprised that explicit explanations aren't in the online help.
    >
    > Thanks if you can point out other sources...

+ Reply to Thread