Make PC wireless access point - Wireless

This is a discussion on Make PC wireless access point - Wireless ; Ok heres my setup... -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home -It conntects to the internet via the wired network -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one I want ...

  1. Make PC wireless access point

    Ok heres my setup...

    -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
    -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
    -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one

    I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for my
    house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
    connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
    connect other wireless devices to the internet.

    Can someone please explain to me how to do this

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Make PC wireless access point

    Hi
    May be this can Help,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
    Wireless Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "GMAN" wrote in message
    > Ok heres my setup...
    >
    > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
    > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
    > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one
    >
    > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for
    > my
    > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
    > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
    > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
    >
    > Can someone please explain to me how to do this
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: Make PC wireless access point

    I already read that article but its not working correctly. I have the ad hoc
    network working but I cannot get internet access on any client computer.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > May be this can Help,
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    > However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
    > Wireless Router.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "GMAN" wrote in message
    > > Ok heres my setup...
    > >
    > > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
    > > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
    > > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one
    > >
    > > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for
    > > my
    > > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
    > > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
    > > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
    > >
    > > Can someone please explain to me how to do this
    > >
    > > Thanks!

  4. Re: Make PC wireless access point

    It would be most helpful to give some real information, like IP address,
    error messages, test that you have done. As it is it could be any number of
    things. Can you ping from one computer to another?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "GMAN" wrote in message
    >I already read that article but its not working correctly. I have the ad
    >hoc
    > network working but I cannot get internet access on any client computer.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> May be this can Help,
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    >> However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
    >> Wireless Router.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "GMAN" wrote in message
    >> > Ok heres my setup...
    >> >
    >> > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
    >> > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
    >> > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired
    >> > one
    >> >
    >> > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point
    >> > for
    >> > my
    >> > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
    >> > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I
    >> > can
    >> > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
    >> >
    >> > Can someone please explain to me how to do this
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

  5. Re: Make PC wireless access point

    Hi

    Try it first with one client computer, make sure that there is a valid
    connection by pinging from one computer to the other.

    Just seeing a statement in the Wireless menus that you see another Wireless
    does not mean that you have a valid connection.

    Otherwise, you have to look at the Network settings and give more info.
    Just by stating that it does not work, there is no knowing where to start
    repairing. ( http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html ).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "GMAN" wrote in message
    >I already read that article but its not working correctly. I have the ad
    >hoc
    > network working but I cannot get internet access on any client computer.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> May be this can Help,
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    >> However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
    >> Wireless Router.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "GMAN" wrote in message
    >> > Ok heres my setup...
    >> >
    >> > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
    >> > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
    >> > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired
    >> > one
    >> >
    >> > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point
    >> > for
    >> > my
    >> > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
    >> > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I
    >> > can
    >> > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
    >> >
    >> > Can someone please explain to me how to do this
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

  6. Re: Make PC wireless access point

    GMAN wrote:

    > Ok heres my setup...
    >
    > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
    > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
    > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one

    What kind of wireless network adapter, make and model?

    > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for my
    > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
    > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
    > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
    >
    > Can someone please explain to me how to do this

    Apart from the very good article on www.microsoft.com others have
    already mentioned, there are wireless adapters with client software from
    ZyXEL that have built in access point capability - only with WEP
    encryption though.

  7. Re: Make PC wireless access point

    Hi
    If more hardware is needed, it is better to buy a real Access Point, or a
    Router to be used as a Router or as an Access Point (
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ).
    There are Wireless Routers on sale for less than $10 (see this week
    CompUSA).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message
    > GMAN wrote:
    >
    >> Ok heres my setup...
    >>
    >> -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
    >> -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
    >> -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired
    >> one

    > What kind of wireless network adapter, make and model?
    >
    >> I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for
    >> my
    >> house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
    >> connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
    >> connect other wireless devices to the internet.
    >>
    >> Can someone please explain to me how to do this

    > Apart from the very good article on www.microsoft.com others have
    > already mentioned, there are wireless adapters with client software from
    > ZyXEL that have built in access point capability - only with WEP
    > encryption though.

  8. Re: Make PC wireless access point

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    > Hi
    > If more hardware is needed, it is better to buy a real Access Point, or a
    > Router to be used as a Router or as an Access Point (
    > http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ).

    Oh I agree. However, the OP did not mention his adapter model, so maybe
    he already has a software access point - if it's a ZyXEL or other
    adapter that comes with a similar client.

+ Reply to Thread