Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem - Wireless ; I am trying to set up my wireless network to share my ISDN internet connection to two other computers. I have set up my network, and as far as I can tell it is okay because I can share files ...

  1. Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    I am trying to set up my wireless network to share my ISDN internet
    connection to two other computers. I have set up my network, and as far as I
    can tell it is okay because I can share files between computers, but when I
    try to set up my internet connection to share, I get the following error
    message, "Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled due to an
    IP address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host be configured to
    use 192.168.0.1 Please ensure that no other client on the network is
    configured to use 192.168.0.1."

    As far as I can tell this is not the case, I have a little program called
    'Network Manager', which provides me with the addresses used and none of
    these except the router have the address 192.168.0.1. Unless there is
    something I cannot see, I am really stumped. I have spent all weekend on
    this and it is very frustrating. Please help!

  2. Re: Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    It would help if you described your network. But basically you need two
    network connections. The connection you are sharing (in your case the ISDN
    connection) which must not use any address that starts 192.168.0.xxx and the
    network adapter that you will connect all other computer to, this adapter
    will use 192.168.0.1 and all things connected to it will use an address in
    the range 192.168.0. xxx where xxx is 2 or greater.

    Now you say you have a router, a router has a DHCP server in it, and
    generally this is incompatible with ICS, if you have a router you don't as a
    rule need ICS. If the router is part of your ISDN connection you'll need to
    configure it to 192,168.1 (or greater as long as this value is not 0).xxx
    for it to work with ICS. Hope this helps.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "Tracey" wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up my wireless network to share my ISDN internet
    > connection to two other computers. I have set up my network, and as far
    > as I
    > can tell it is okay because I can share files between computers, but when
    > try to set up my internet connection to share, I get the following error
    > message, "Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled due to
    > an
    > IP address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host be configured
    > use 192.168.0.1 Please ensure that no other client on the network is
    > configured to use 192.168.0.1."
    >
    > As far as I can tell this is not the case, I have a little program called
    > 'Network Manager', which provides me with the addresses used and none of
    > these except the router have the address 192.168.0.1. Unless there is
    > something I cannot see, I am really stumped. I have spent all weekend on
    > this and it is very frustrating. Please help!

  3. Re: Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    David,

    Thanks for your prompt response. You have basically brought up what I
    suspecti is my problem. I have a Netgear MR814 router. My internet
    connection from my ISDN modem runs direct into my computer. Then my router
    runs off my computer, and the other computers get my internet and network
    connection from there( does this help describe my network?)When I look at my
    'ipconfig', I have my router as my gateway at 192.168.0.1, but I also have my
    DHCP server at 192.168.0.1, and my DNS server at 192.168.0.1. I suspect that
    this is my problem, but I am not sure how to change it. Can you help?

    "David Hettel" wrote:

    > It would help if you described your network. But basically you need two
    > network connections. The connection you are sharing (in your case the ISDN
    > connection) which must not use any address that starts 192.168.0.xxx and the
    > network adapter that you will connect all other computer to, this adapter
    > will use 192.168.0.1 and all things connected to it will use an address in
    > the range 192.168.0. xxx where xxx is 2 or greater.
    >
    > Now you say you have a router, a router has a DHCP server in it, and
    > generally this is incompatible with ICS, if you have a router you don't as a
    > rule need ICS. If the router is part of your ISDN connection you'll need to
    > configure it to 192,168.1 (or greater as long as this value is not 0).xxx
    > for it to work with ICS. Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > no rights.
    >

    > "Tracey" wrote in message
    > >I am trying to set up my wireless network to share my ISDN internet
    > > connection to two other computers. I have set up my network, and as far
    > > as I
    > > can tell it is okay because I can share files between computers, but when
    > > try to set up my internet connection to share, I get the following error
    > > message, "Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled due to
    > > an
    > > IP address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host be configured
    > > use 192.168.0.1 Please ensure that no other client on the network is
    > > configured to use 192.168.0.1."
    > >
    > > As far as I can tell this is not the case, I have a little program called
    > > 'Network Manager', which provides me with the addresses used and none of
    > > these except the router have the address 192.168.0.1. Unless there is
    > > something I cannot see, I am really stumped. I have spent all weekend on
    > > this and it is very frustrating. Please help!

  4. Re: Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    Ok if the ISDN runs directly into your computer, you don't need a router,
    unless for security you're attempting to block access to the computers
    connected to router from the PC with the ISDN connection. What you would
    want is a simple switch or a hub. If you program the DHCP server in the
    router to use a different address (than 192.168.0.xxx) it may work. If your
    ISDN connection is an external box it would make more sense to connect the
    router to it, IMHO. It's normal for a router to use the same address for the
    control of the router, the gateway, and the DNS servers address. You need to
    connect the PC with the ISDN connection to the WAN port of the router, and
    not to one of the LAN ports, for it to work.

    --

    "Tracey" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > try to set up my internet connection to share, I get the following
    >> > error
    >> > message, "Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled due
    >> > an
    >> > IP address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host be
    >> > configured
    >> > use 192.168.0.1 Please ensure that no other client on the network is
    >> > configured to use 192.168.0.1."
    >> >
    >> > As far as I can tell this is not the case, I have a little program
    >> > called
    >> > 'Network Manager', which provides me with the addresses used and none
    >> > of
    >> > these except the router have the address 192.168.0.1. Unless there is
    >> > something I cannot see, I am really stumped. I have spent all weekend
    >> > on
    >> > this and it is very frustrating. Please help!

  5. Re: Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    You may find this page helpful: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html there
    are at least three different versions of your MR814 it would be helpful to
    know which one we are talking about.

    --

    "Tracey" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > try to set up my internet connection to share, I get the following
    >> > error
    >> > message, "Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled due
    >> > an
    >> > IP address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host be
    >> > configured
    >> > use 192.168.0.1 Please ensure that no other client on the network is
    >> > configured to use 192.168.0.1."
    >> >
    >> > As far as I can tell this is not the case, I have a little program
    >> > called
    >> > 'Network Manager', which provides me with the addresses used and none
    >> > of
    >> > these except the router have the address 192.168.0.1. Unless there is
    >> > something I cannot see, I am really stumped. I have spent all weekend
    >> > on
    >> > this and it is very frustrating. Please help!

  6. Re: Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    Thanks again, David. I believe that my router is the MR814 v1, I knew that
    there were others but I believe that mine is the original. None of the
    paperwork or setup disks have any other letters after them.

    "David Hettel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> David Hettel
    > >>
    > >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > >> everyone
    > >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > >> in
    > >> E-mail or news groups.
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    > >> kind,
    > >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    > >> reliability
    > >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    > >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > >> or
    > >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and

  7. Re: Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    Okay, I kind of understand all of this. The reason I had the router was that
    when I originally wireless networked, I lived in a capital city of Australia,
    and when we went rural I took the router with me, and was set up by a
    computer 'expert' to run the network between my desktop and laptop. It has
    worked fine until now, but I am trying to add the third computer, and this is
    where I began to have problems.

    Next question, how do I change the DHCP servers address?

    Tracey

    "David Hettel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> David Hettel
    > >>
    > >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > >> everyone
    > >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > >> in
    > >> E-mail or news groups.
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    > >> kind,
    > >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    > >> reliability
    > >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    > >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > >> or
    > >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and

  8. Re: Error 799: Internet Connection Sharing problem

    Okay, so I have switched off the DHCP server in the router, and now I get the
    following message, when I try to switch on ICS. "Cannot enable shared
    access. Error 1722: The RPC server is unavailable. Am I making progress,
    or getting further from my end goal?

+ Reply to Thread