home network IP addresses - Wireless

This is a discussion on home network IP addresses - Wireless ; I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I ...

  1. home network IP addresses

    I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a
    DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP
    addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I let my laptop
    auto detect, I will not get any internet on the laptop. However, to connect
    to any other wireless networks (office, friends, on the road) I have to
    switch it to automatic and then it works fine there.

    Can anyone shed some light on how this works and how I might get around this
    problem?

  2. Re: home network IP addresses

    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a
    >DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP
    >addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I let my laptop
    >auto detect, I will not get any internet on the laptop. However, to
    >connect to any other wireless networks (office, friends, on the road) I
    >have to switch it to automatic and then it works fine there.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on how this works and how I might get around
    > this problem?

    One cause of the problem is that the router is not setup to be a DHCP
    server. Another cause is that the laptop is not setup to get its IP address
    via DHCP. Perhaps posting the results of ipconfig/all would shed more
    light.

    Jim

  3. Re: home network IP addresses

    Have you checked that the DHCP server is turned on in your Router?

    -Frank

    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a
    >DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP
    >addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I let my laptop
    >auto detect, I will not get any internet on the laptop. However, to
    >connect to any other wireless networks (office, friends, on the road) I
    >have to switch it to automatic and then it works fine there.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on how this works and how I might get around
    > this problem?

  4. Re: home network IP addresses

    Hi
    As mentioned above, it sounds like the Router's DHCP Server Off.
    However, in case that it is Not so, you can configure the Laptop with
    alternative settings, one with the Static IP for home, and one with Auto.
    obtain for other wireless Hot Spots.
    Configuring a Laptop (or any computer) to connect to more than one Network -
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#fewtcp-ip
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a
    >DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP
    >addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I let my laptop
    >auto detect, I will not get any internet on the laptop. However, to
    >connect to any other wireless networks (office, friends, on the road) I
    >have to switch it to automatic and then it works fine there.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on how this works and how I might get around
    > this problem?

  5. Re: home network IP addresses

    You're right - DHCP is not turned on in my router. Now for some reason I
    cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 from the hard-wired desktop -
    comes back with page cannot be displayed. Missing a step or something
    logical??

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:UCRuh.76310$wP1.30767@newssvr14.news.prodigy. net...

    > "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >>I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a
    >>DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP
    >>addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I let my laptop
    >>auto detect, I will not get any internet on the laptop. However, to
    >>connect to any other wireless networks (office, friends, on the road) I
    >>have to switch it to automatic and then it works fine there.
    >>
    >> Can anyone shed some light on how this works and how I might get around
    >> this problem?
    >>

    > One cause of the problem is that the router is not setup to be a DHCP
    > server. Another cause is that the laptop is not setup to get its IP
    > address via DHCP. Perhaps posting the results of ipconfig/all would shed
    > more light.
    >
    > Jim

  6. Re: home network IP addresses

    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    > You're right - DHCP is not turned on in my router. Now for some reason I
    > cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 from the hard-wired desktop -
    > comes back with page cannot be displayed. Missing a step or something
    > logical??
    >

    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:UCRuh.76310$wP1.30767@newssvr14.news.prodigy. net...
    >>
    >> "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >>>I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a
    >>>DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP
    >>>addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I let my laptop
    >>>auto detect, I will not get any internet on the laptop. However, to
    >>>connect to any other wireless networks (office, friends, on the road) I
    >>>have to switch it to automatic and then it works fine there.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone shed some light on how this works and how I might get around
    >>> this problem?
    >>>

    >> One cause of the problem is that the router is not setup to be a DHCP
    >> server. Another cause is that the laptop is not setup to get its IP
    >> address via DHCP. Perhaps posting the results of ipconfig/all would shed
    >> more light.
    >>
    >> Jim

    Are all of your other computers in the 192.168.0.x net?
    They must be in the same subnet as the router.
    This is yet another reason to use DHCP.
    Jim

  7. Re: home network IP addresses

    Yes, they are all the same. When I ran ipconfig/all it told me that DHCP
    was not turned on. I would like to turn it on but cannot get into my
    router.

    the following is the results of ipconfig/all on my wireless laptop

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ryan_Laptop

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-A0-D1-D5-EB-3B

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
    3B Mini PCI Adapter

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-5A-C9-5E

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:yR3vh.163$o61.106@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net. ..

    > "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >> You're right - DHCP is not turned on in my router. Now for some reason I
    >> cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 from the hard-wired desktop -
    >> comes back with page cannot be displayed. Missing a step or something
    >> logical??
    >>

    >> "Jim" wrote in message
    >> news:UCRuh.76310$wP1.30767@newssvr14.news.prodigy. net...
    >>>
    >>> "Ryan Young" wrote in message

    >>> One cause of the problem is that the router is not setup to be a DHCP
    >>> server. Another cause is that the laptop is not setup to get its IP
    >>> address via DHCP. Perhaps posting the results of ipconfig/all would
    >>> shed more light.
    >>>
    >>> Jim
    >>>

    > Are all of your other computers in the 192.168.0.x net?
    > They must be in the same subnet as the router.
    > This is yet another reason to use DHCP.
    > Jim

  8. Re: home network IP addresses

    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    > Yes, they are all the same. When I ran ipconfig/all it told me that DHCP
    > was not turned on. I would like to turn it on but cannot get into my
    > router.
    >
    > the following is the results of ipconfig/all on my wireless laptop
    >

    > Windows IP Configuration
    >

    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ryan_Laptop
    >
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    >
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    >
    > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    >
    > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    >

    > Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:
    >

    > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    >
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
    >
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-A0-D1-D5-EB-3B
    >

    > Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    >

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
    > 3B Mini PCI Adapter
    >
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-5A-C9-5E
    >
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:yR3vh.163$o61.106@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net. ..
    >>
    >> "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >>> You're right - DHCP is not turned on in my router. Now for some reason
    >>> I cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 from the hard-wired
    >>> esktop - comes back with page cannot be displayed. Missing a step or
    >>> something logical??
    >>>

    >>> "Jim" wrote in message
    >>> news:UCRuh.76310$wP1.30767@newssvr14.news.prodigy. net...

    >> Are all of your other computers in the 192.168.0.x net?
    >> They must be in the same subnet as the router.
    >> This is yet another reason to use DHCP.
    >> Jim

    If you don't have a DHCP server, then you must enter the addresses into each
    computer's HOSTS file.

    This brings back memories of CMU-TEK.

    Jim

  9. Re: home network IP addresses

    This looks like more work than it might be worth. I also looked into a link
    suggested here where it said to configure an "Alternate Configuration" in my
    TCP/IP settings - couldn't find that either.

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:RK8vh.38360$Gr2.18119@newssvr21.news.prodigy. net...

    > "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >> Yes, they are all the same. When I ran ipconfig/all it told me that DHCP
    >> was not turned on. I would like to turn it on but cannot get into my
    >> router.
    >>
    >> the following is the results of ipconfig/all on my wireless laptop
    >>

    >> Windows IP Configuration
    >>

    >> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ryan_Laptop
    >>
    >> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    >>
    >> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    >>
    >> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    >>
    >> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    >>

    >> Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:
    >>

    >> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    >>
    >> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
    >>
    >> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-A0-D1-D5-EB-3B
    >>

    >> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    >>

    >> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >>
    >> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
    >> 3B Mini PCI Adapter
    >>
    >> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-5A-C9-5E
    >>
    >> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    >>
    >> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.202
    >>
    >> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    >>
    >> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >>
    >> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >>

    >> "Jim" wrote in message
    >> news:yR3vh.163$o61.106@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net. ..
    >>>
    >>> "Ryan Young" wrote in message

    >>> Are all of your other computers in the 192.168.0.x net?
    >>> They must be in the same subnet as the router.
    >>> This is yet another reason to use DHCP.
    >>> Jim
    >>>

    > If you don't have a DHCP server, then you must enter the addresses into
    > each computer's HOSTS file.
    >
    > This brings back memories of CMU-TEK.
    >
    > Jim

  10. Re: home network IP addresses

    If you can't get to the router to set it to be the DHCP server, you have no
    choice.

    Really, now, you create a single HOSTS file which lists all of your
    computers. Then you copy this file to the proper subdirectory of Windows on
    all of your computers...

    I once managed a group of 45 computers which had to use this method because
    the version of IP did not support DHCP. It worked OK, and once setup there
    was little to do unless we got an additional computer.

    Jim
    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    > This looks like more work than it might be worth. I also looked into a
    > link suggested here where it said to configure an "Alternate
    > Configuration" in my TCP/IP settings - couldn't find that either.
    >

    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:RK8vh.38360$Gr2.18119@newssvr21.news.prodigy. net...
    >>
    >> "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >>> Yes, they are all the same. When I ran ipconfig/all it told me that
    >>> DHCP was not turned on. I would like to turn it on but cannot get into
    >>> my router.
    >>>
    >>> the following is the results of ipconfig/all on my wireless laptop
    >>>

    >>> Windows IP Configuration
    >>>

    >>> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ryan_Laptop
    >>>
    >>> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    >>>
    >>> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    >>>
    >>> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    >>>
    >>> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    >>>

    >>> Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:
    >>>

    >>> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    >>>
    >>> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
    >>>
    >>> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-A0-D1-D5-EB-3B
    >>>

    >>> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    >>>

    >>> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >>>
    >>> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN
    >>> 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
    >>>
    >>> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-5A-C9-5E
    >>>
    >>> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    >>>
    >>> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.202
    >>>
    >>> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    >>>
    >>> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >>>
    >>> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >>>

    >>> "Jim" wrote in message
    >>> news:yR3vh.163$o61.106@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net. ..

    >> If you don't have a DHCP server, then you must enter the addresses into
    >> each computer's HOSTS file.
    >>
    >> This brings back memories of CMU-TEK.
    >>
    >> Jim

  11. Re: home network IP addresses

    OK, that's totally new to me. So if I want to add all 4 computers on the
    network to this HOSTS file, what would a line look like to do so? And by
    doing this, I will not compromise the way the wireless laptop works on other
    networks?

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:6G9vh.56775$wc5.46161@newssvr25.news.prodigy. net...
    > If you can't get to the router to set it to be the DHCP server, you have
    > no choice.
    >
    > Really, now, you create a single HOSTS file which lists all of your
    > computers. Then you copy this file to the proper subdirectory of Windows
    > on all of your computers...
    >
    > I once managed a group of 45 computers which had to use this method
    > because the version of IP did not support DHCP. It worked OK, and once
    > setup there was little to do unless we got an additional computer.
    >
    > Jim
    > "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >> This looks like more work than it might be worth. I also looked into a
    >> link suggested here where it said to configure an "Alternate
    >> Configuration" in my TCP/IP settings - couldn't find that either.
    >>

    >> "Jim" wrote in message
    >> news:RK8vh.38360$Gr2.18119@newssvr21.news.prodigy. net...
    >>>
    >>> "Ryan Young" wrote in message

    >>> If you don't have a DHCP server, then you must enter the addresses into
    >>> each computer's HOSTS file.
    >>>
    >>> This brings back memories of CMU-TEK.
    >>>
    >>> Jim

  12. Re: home network IP addresses

    I believe you need to understand why you can't connect. On the bottom of
    your DI-524 there should be a P/N..... That ends in a Letter and number
    combination, this is the revision level, what is your revision level?
    http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...sec=0#firmware I suggest
    that you do a factory reset, this should re-enable the DHCP server in the
    DI-524

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    > You're right - DHCP is not turned on in my router. Now for some reason I
    > cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 from the hard-wired desktop -
    > comes back with page cannot be displayed. Missing a step or something
    > logical??
    >

    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:UCRuh.76310$wP1.30767@newssvr14.news.prodigy. net...
    >>
    >> "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >>>I have a home network set up with 3 wired and 1 wireless connection to a
    >>>DI-524. Everything works fine on the network as long as I specify my IP
    >>>addresses for all computers connected to the network. If I let my laptop
    >>>auto detect, I will not get any internet on the laptop. However, to
    >>>connect to any other wireless networks (office, friends, on the road) I
    >>>have to switch it to automatic and then it works fine there.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone shed some light on how this works and how I might get around
    >>> this problem?
    >>>

    >> One cause of the problem is that the router is not setup to be a DHCP
    >> server. Another cause is that the laptop is not setup to get its IP
    >> address via DHCP. Perhaps posting the results of ipconfig/all would shed
    >> more light.
    >>
    >> Jim

  13. Re: home network IP addresses

    "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    > OK, that's totally new to me. So if I want to add all 4 computers on the
    > network to this HOSTS file, what would a line look like to do so? And by
    > doing this, I will not compromise the way the wireless laptop works on
    > other networks?
    >

    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:6G9vh.56775$wc5.46161@newssvr25.news.prodigy. net...
    >> If you can't get to the router to set it to be the DHCP server, you have
    >> no choice.
    >>
    >> Really, now, you create a single HOSTS file which lists all of your
    >> computers. Then you copy this file to the proper subdirectory of Windows
    >> on all of your computers...
    >>
    >> I once managed a group of 45 computers which had to use this method
    >> because the version of IP did not support DHCP. It worked OK, and once
    >> setup there was little to do unless we got an additional computer.
    >>
    >> Jim
    >> "Ryan Young" wrote in message
    >>> This looks like more work than it might be worth. I also looked into a
    >>> link suggested here where it said to configure an "Alternate
    >>> Configuration" in my TCP/IP settings - couldn't find that either.
    >>>

    >>> "Jim" wrote in message
    >>> news:RK8vh.38360$Gr2.18119@newssvr21.news.prodigy. net...

    The existing HOSTS file has the documentation.
    As for using it with the other networks, whether it works or not depends on
    whether this method creates an IP address conflitct or not and whether the
    other networks use the same subnets.

    You could edit the HOSTS file to put the comment character at the beginning
    of each line except the one which defines the localhost.

    Jim

  14. Re: home network IP addresses

    > You're right - DHCP is not turned on in my router. Now for some reason I
    > cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 from the hard-wired desktop -
    > comes back with page cannot be displayed. Missing a step or something
    > logical??

    If you can't access the router, how did you determine that DHCP was not
    turned on?

    You *have* to access the router to fix your issue.

    Assuming you know the address of the router...
    - Connect an Ethernet cable *directly* from one computer to your router and
    make sure the computer is on the same network as the router (set it
    manually).

    If you don't know the address of the router (or can't pass the password
    check), find the reset button and press and hold it in for about 5 seconds.
    Then, use the default logon/password and address according to the manual. If
    you don't have the manual, you can probably find it online somewhere.

    -Frank

+ Reply to Thread