New wireless network problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on New wireless network problem - Wireless ; Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both ...

  1. New wireless network problem

    Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
    get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
    Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
    pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
    up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
    connected on the Available Networks page.

    Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?

    HELP!

  2. RE: New wireless network problem

    "foam12345" wrote:

    > Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
    > get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
    > Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
    > pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
    > up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
    > connected on the Available Networks page.
    >
    > Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?
    >
    > HELP!

    How do you know that the Thinkpad is connecting to the Router can you see
    the SSID network in the Available wireless network when you double click the
    Wireless Icon in the Notification Area?.
    What error message or line you get on the status bar at the bottom of the
    left hand of the page?.
    If you can access the Router Page from the Laptop thin see your wireless
    authentication input is wrong somewhere.
    HTH.
    Let us know.
    Regards,
    nass
    ------------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

  3. Re: New wireless network problem

    Chances are Norton (Symantec) is blocking your internet connection. This
    page may help
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...eg=hho&src=hot

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "foam12345" wrote in message
    news:1169922691.015828.33900@v33g2000cwv.googlegro ups.com...
    > Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
    > get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
    > Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
    > pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
    > up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
    > connected on the Available Networks page.
    >
    > Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?
    >
    > HELP!

  4. Re: New wireless network problem

    To all, thanks for the info.
    All Norton products have been removed from the computer and the
    registry cleaned of any reference to them.
    My quandary is why (apparently) the computer recognizes and connects
    to the wireless network, as indicated by the network name and
    "Connected" shown on the Available Networks Page with correct SSID yet
    no browser recognizes the connection. Attempts to connect to any page
    with either IE6 or Firefox 2 time out, even though there is a
    recognized connection.

    On Jan 27, 3:52 pm, "David Hettel" wrote:
    > Chances are Norton (Symantec) is blocking your internet connection. This
    > page may helphttp://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2004093013325136?O...
    >
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > E-mail or news groups.
    >
    > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > no rights.
    >
    > "foam12345" wrote in messagenews:1169922691.015828.33900@v33g2000cwv.go oglegroups.com...
    >
    > > Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
    > > get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
    > > Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
    > > pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
    > > up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
    > > connected on the Available Networks page.

    > > Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?

    > > HELP!

+ Reply to Thread