Steps Needed to Secure Router - Wireless

This is a discussion on Steps Needed to Secure Router - Wireless ; I recently bought a Netgear Rangemax wireless router and, with their CD, easily set it up in an unsecure environment. I now want to secure it so that it's protected against invasion. I again used their CD to do it ...

  1. Steps Needed to Secure Router

    I recently bought a Netgear Rangemax wireless router and, with their CD,
    easily set it up in an unsecure environment. I now want to secure it so that
    it's protected against invasion. I again used their CD to do it but got
    terribly confused, not knowing what "keys" were, nor the selection for type
    of encryption that is best for me (I don't want to jump through hoops just to
    log in to access the internet ... just get it secured against invasion and
    spying, and to keep the neighbors from accessing it). When I thought I was
    done, I tested it on my wireless laptop. It showed the network name we had
    provided, but asked that a profile be set up. We did our best to reply to
    the questions (as best as one can be when he doesn't know what he's doing),
    but when I was finished I received a message that the profile was invalid.
    This shouldn't be brain surgery. I returned the router status to unsecured.
    Please provide steps I can follow ... hopefully through Windows Networking
    instead of Netgear's site ... so that each of our computers will be
    accessible only to those for whom permission is provided. Thank you in
    advance.

  2. Re: Steps Needed to Secure Router

    Hi

    Wireless security does only one thing it encrypt the information from the
    Wireless computer to the Wireless Router/Access Point, so that other people
    cannot intercept or invade the connection.

    It does not affect or relate in any way to Internet or Internet security.

    It is much better to spend a little time learning through the manual how to
    configure the security manually and not to use the Wizards CDs.

    The CD usually has a PDF file that includes the extended manual and would
    explain how to configure the Wireless security

    May be this can Help too.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "paparulez" wrote in message
    >I recently bought a Netgear Rangemax wireless router and, with their CD,
    > easily set it up in an unsecure environment. I now want to secure it so
    > that
    > it's protected against invasion. I again used their CD to do it but got
    > terribly confused, not knowing what "keys" were, nor the selection for
    > type
    > of encryption that is best for me (I don't want to jump through hoops just
    > log in to access the internet ... just get it secured against invasion and
    > spying, and to keep the neighbors from accessing it). When I thought I
    > was
    > done, I tested it on my wireless laptop. It showed the network name we
    > had
    > provided, but asked that a profile be set up. We did our best to reply to
    > the questions (as best as one can be when he doesn't know what he's
    > doing),
    > but when I was finished I received a message that the profile was invalid.
    > This shouldn't be brain surgery. I returned the router status to
    > unsecured.
    > Please provide steps I can follow ... hopefully through Windows Networking
    > instead of Netgear's site ... so that each of our computers will be
    > accessible only to those for whom permission is provided. Thank you in
    > advance.

+ Reply to Thread