Wireless network problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless network problem - Wireless ; I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the network ...

  1. Wireless network problem

    I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the network
    ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.

    However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users to
    connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.

    Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC..and I
    cant.

    Thanks for any help you provide
    Joel

  2. Re: Wireless network problem

    Hmm It's unclear just what you are saying to me, and how these things are
    connected. Some model numbers might help.Are you saying this?

    Phone Jack in wall
    Belkin DSL MODEM/wireless router
    Belkin Wireless router #2
    PC & Laptop

    or
    Phone Jack in wall
    Belkin DSL Modem
    PC
    Belkin wireless router
    Laptop

    or something different than either of the above?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "Joel" wrote in message
    >I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    > connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    > connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the
    > network
    > ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.
    >
    > However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users to
    > connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.
    >
    > Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC..and
    > cant.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you provide
    > Joel

  3. Re: Wireless network problem

    Hi Dave

    Jack in wall to Belkin ADSL Modem Wireless G Router (802.11g)

    RJ45 from rounter to Main PC running xp

    RJ45 from router to Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g)

    This allows the PC to connect to my Broadband supplier, and my Lap-Top
    (Running xp media edition) picks up a wireless signal from the Wireless G
    router.

    However when I go to Network places on the PC and try to open it up so all
    users can access the internet via the PC, I can no longer access the internet
    from that PC.

    The laptop still picks up the wireless connection.

    "David Hettel" wrote:

    > Hmm It's unclear just what you are saying to me, and how these things are
    > connected. Some model numbers might help.Are you saying this?
    >
    > Phone Jack in wall
    > Belkin DSL MODEM/wireless router
    > Belkin Wireless router #2
    > PC & Laptop
    >
    > or
    > Phone Jack in wall
    > Belkin DSL Modem
    > PC
    > Belkin wireless router
    > Laptop
    >
    > or something different than either of the above?
    >
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > no rights.
    >

    > "Joel" wrote in message
    > >I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    > > connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    > > connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the
    > > network
    > > ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.
    > >
    > > However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users to
    > > connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.
    > >
    > > Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC..and
    > > cant.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help you provide
    > > Joel

  4. Re: Wireless network problem

    Joel wrote:
    > Hi Dave
    >
    > Jack in wall to Belkin ADSL Modem Wireless G Router (802.11g)
    >
    > RJ45 from rounter to Main PC running xp
    >
    > RJ45 from router to Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g)
    >
    > This allows the PC to connect to my Broadband supplier, and my Lap-Top
    > (Running xp media edition) picks up a wireless signal from the Wireless G
    > router.
    >
    > However when I go to Network places on the PC and try to open it up so all
    > users can access the internet via the PC, I can no longer access the internet
    > from that PC.
    >
    > The laptop still picks up the wireless connection.
    >
    > "David Hettel" wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm It's unclear just what you are saying to me, and how these things are
    >> connected. Some model numbers might help.Are you saying this?
    >>
    >> Phone Jack in wall
    >> Belkin DSL MODEM/wireless router
    >> Belkin Wireless router #2
    >> PC & Laptop
    >>
    >> or
    >> Phone Jack in wall
    >> Belkin DSL Modem
    >> PC
    >> Belkin wireless router
    >> Laptop
    >>
    >> or something different than either of the above?
    >>
    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
    >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
    >> E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
    >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
    >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
    >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers
    >> no rights.
    >>

    >> "Joel" wrote in message
    >>> I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    >>> connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    >>> connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the
    >>> network
    >>> ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.
    >>>
    >>> However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users to
    >>> connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC..and
    >>> cant.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help you provide
    >>> Joel

    You should connect the modem to the router, not to the "main PC." And
    then turn off ICS on the main PC.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  5. Re: Wireless network problem

    Hi
    The whole point of a Router and Wireless is that all PCs can be Network and
    work Directly with the Router.
    I.e. When you have a Router all the PCs should connect directly to the
    Router.
    The topology should look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Joel" wrote in message
    >I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    > connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    > connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the
    > network
    > ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.
    >
    > However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users to
    > connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.
    >
    > Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC..and
    > cant.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you provide
    > Joel

  6. Re: Wireless network problem

    Thankyou I know what a router is for ;-)..the only reason I bought it was
    because its difficult to find a adsl modem with both rj45 and usb connection
    these days..so had to buy the adsl/router...Im not interested in setting up a
    "wired" network.

    My problem is sharing my broadband connection with the laptop that is
    successfully picking up a wireless connection from my wireless router.

    Thanks anyway

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > The whole point of a Router and Wireless is that all PCs can be Network and
    > work Directly with the Router.
    > I.e. When you have a Router all the PCs should connect directly to the
    > Router.
    > The topology should look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Joel" wrote in message
    > >I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    > > connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    > > connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the
    > > network
    > > ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.
    > >
    > > However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users to
    > > connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.
    > >
    > > Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC..and
    > > cant.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help you provide
    > > Joel

  7. Re: Wireless network problem

    Hi
    It does not matter wire or wireless the topology is still the same if you
    want to Share the Internet correctly.
    In addition, in most cases a wired connection is necessary at least for the
    initial setting.
    Can I use all the computer as Wireless with No Wired computer? -
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#onewire
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    "Joel" wrote in message

    > Thankyou I know what a router is for ;-)..the only reason I bought it was
    > because its difficult to find a adsl modem with both rj45 and usb
    > connection
    > these days..so had to buy the adsl/router...Im not interested in setting
    > up a
    > "wired" network.
    >
    > My problem is sharing my broadband connection with the laptop that is
    > successfully picking up a wireless connection from my wireless router.
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> The whole point of a Router and Wireless is that all PCs can be Network
    >> and
    >> work Directly with the Router.
    >> I.e. When you have a Router all the PCs should connect directly to the
    >> Router.
    >> The topology should look like this,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Joel" wrote in message
    >> >I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    >> > connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    >> > connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the
    >> > network
    >> > ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.
    >> >
    >> > However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users
    >> > connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.
    >> >
    >> > Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base
    >> > PC..and
    >> > cant.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any help you provide
    >> > Joel

  8. Re: Wireless network problem

    Joel wrote:
    > Thankyou I know what a router is for ;-)..the only reason I bought it was
    > because its difficult to find a adsl modem with both rj45 and usb connection
    > these days..so had to buy the adsl/router...Im not interested in setting up a
    > "wired" network.
    >
    > My problem is sharing my broadband connection with the laptop that is
    > successfully picking up a wireless connection from my wireless router.
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> The whole point of a Router and Wireless is that all PCs can be Network and
    >> work Directly with the Router.
    >> I.e. When you have a Router all the PCs should connect directly to the
    >> Router.
    >> The topology should look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Joel" wrote in message
    >>> I am setting up a wireless network. I have a base pc running xp. I have
    >>> connected this to a Belkin dsl modem wireless-g router..this in turn is
    >>> connected to a belkin wireless g-router. My lap-top connects to the
    >>> network
    >>> ok. And the base PC connects to my broadband ISP ok.
    >>>
    >>> However when I go to Network connections and try to allow other users to
    >>> connect through the base PC...I can no longer connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> Basically I need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC..and
    >>> cant.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help you provide
    >>> Joel

    Why do you have/need 2 wireless routers? Either I'm missing something
    or you're unnecessarily complicating your setup. What is it that you
    are trying to do?

    In your first post, you said that your laptop connects to the 'net OK
    and your main PC connects to the 'net OK.

    Then you said,
    (a) you try to allow other users to connect through the base PC
    and
    (b) you need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC

    Why do you want to do (b) if the laptop already connects to the internet?

    And why do you want to do (a)? Why not have "other users" simply
    connect wirelessly through the modem/router?

    And what do you use the usb connection on the modem/router for?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  9. Re: Wireless network problem

    I have 1 pc which I am connecting to my isp via Belkin adsl
    modem/router...this connects to ISP ok

    The adsl modem/router is connected to my PC using a rj45 lead. The adsl
    router then connects to a belkin wireless router by rj45 lead.

    The laptop picks up a wireless connection from the belkin wireless router.
    However, my pc cannot talk to the PC over this set-up. The laptop cannot
    share the internet connection of the PC.

    The only reason Im using the belkin adsl/router is because my ISP provided
    me with a modem that didnt have a rj45 connection only USB..so I couldnt
    connect it up to my Belkin wireless router.

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Joel wrote:
    > > Thankyou I know what a router is for ;-)..the only reason I bought it was
    > > because its difficult to find a adsl modem with both rj45 and usb connection
    > > these days..so had to buy the adsl/router...Im not interested in setting up a
    > > "wired" network.
    > >
    > > My problem is sharing my broadband connection with the laptop that is
    > > successfully picking up a wireless connection from my wireless router.
    > >
    > > Thanks anyway
    > >
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> The whole point of a Router and Wireless is that all PCs can be Network and
    > >> work Directly with the Router.
    > >> I.e. When you have a Router all the PCs should connect directly to the
    > >> Router.
    > >> The topology should look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "Joel" wrote in message

    > Why do you have/need 2 wireless routers? Either I'm missing something
    > or you're unnecessarily complicating your setup. What is it that you
    > are trying to do?
    >
    > In your first post, you said that your laptop connects to the 'net OK
    > and your main PC connects to the 'net OK.
    >
    > Then you said,
    > (a) you try to allow other users to connect through the base PC
    > and
    > (b) you need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC
    >
    > Why do you want to do (b) if the laptop already connects to the internet?
    >
    > And why do you want to do (a)? Why not have "other users" simply
    > connect wirelessly through the modem/router?
    >
    > And what do you use the usb connection on the modem/router for?
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  10. Re: Wireless network problem

    Joel wrote:
    > I have 1 pc which I am connecting to my isp via Belkin adsl
    > modem/router...this connects to ISP ok
    >
    > The adsl modem/router is connected to my PC using a rj45 lead. The adsl
    > router then connects to a belkin wireless router by rj45 lead.
    >
    > The laptop picks up a wireless connection from the belkin wireless router.
    > However, my pc cannot talk to the PC over this set-up. The laptop cannot
    > share the internet connection of the PC.
    >
    > The only reason Im using the belkin adsl/router is because my ISP provided
    > me with a modem that didnt have a rj45 connection only USB..so I couldnt
    > connect it up to my Belkin wireless router.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Joel wrote:
    >>> Thankyou I know what a router is for ;-)..the only reason I bought it was
    >>> because its difficult to find a adsl modem with both rj45 and usb connection
    >>> these days..so had to buy the adsl/router...Im not interested in setting up a
    >>> "wired" network.
    >>>
    >>> My problem is sharing my broadband connection with the laptop that is
    >>> successfully picking up a wireless connection from my wireless router.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks anyway

    >> Why do you have/need 2 wireless routers? Either I'm missing something
    >> or you're unnecessarily complicating your setup. What is it that you
    >> are trying to do?
    >>
    >> In your first post, you said that your laptop connects to the 'net OK
    >> and your main PC connects to the 'net OK.
    >>
    >> Then you said,
    >> (a) you try to allow other users to connect through the base PC
    >> and
    >> (b) you need to connect my l-top to the internet via the base PC
    >>
    >> Why do you want to do (b) if the laptop already connects to the internet?
    >>
    >> And why do you want to do (a)? Why not have "other users" simply
    >> connect wirelessly through the modem/router?
    >>
    >> And what do you use the usb connection on the modem/router for?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    If I understand correctly, the "adsl modem/router" is NOT a wireless
    router. You then want your laptop to connect wirelessly so you have a
    wireless router connected to the first router.

    In general, that's OK, but you need to configure the wireless router to
    "access point" mode. See Jack's instructions for doing this here:
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Once you have done this correctly, both computers should be able to
    access the Internet simultaneously.

    In order to get the two computers to share resources, you have to do a
    little more.
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    --