Auto Config SSID/WPA2 Settings for WiFi users - Wireless

This is a discussion on Auto Config SSID/WPA2 Settings for WiFi users - Wireless ; We would like to create a executable or bat file that would allow for users to auto config Wireless setting using WPA2. The current process takes about 9-10 steps for users to perfrom within the wireless setting utility and our ...

  1. Auto Config SSID/WPA2 Settings for WiFi users

    We would like to create a executable or bat file that would allow for users
    to auto config Wireless setting using WPA2. The current process takes about
    9-10 steps for users to perfrom within the wireless setting utility and our
    novice users are getting confused and frustrated. Again, is there a exe,
    script or bat file that can be created that people could download from the
    web that would auto config a windows machine for the SSID and wpa2 settings
    have been establised by our Network admins? Would would like minimum client
    interaction once the script is executed.

  2. Re: Auto Config SSID/WPA2 Settings for WiFi users

    Terry wrote:
    > We would like to create a executable or bat file that would allow for users
    > to auto config Wireless setting using WPA2. The current process takes about
    > 9-10 steps for users to perfrom within the wireless setting utility and our
    > novice users are getting confused and frustrated. Again, is there a exe,
    > script or bat file that can be created that people could download from the
    > web that would auto config a windows machine for the SSID and wpa2 settings
    > have been establised by our Network admins? Would would like minimum client
    > interaction once the script is executed.

    You didn't like the last answer I gave you when you were pcicero?

    [If you aren't pcicero, search for the subject "Automate wifi setup for
    multiple networks"]

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. Re: Auto Config SSID/WPA2 Settings for WiFi users

    I am not pcicero....And the solution I seen for his question was a config
    wizard. I am looking for something more of "behind the scenes" I do not
    want the users to have to do anything, other then kick off the
    script/program...Are you saying that this will do what I need? Please
    advise. Thank you for your time.

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Terry wrote:
    > > We would like to create a executable or bat file that would allow for users
    > > to auto config Wireless setting using WPA2. The current process takes about
    > > 9-10 steps for users to perfrom within the wireless setting utility and our
    > > novice users are getting confused and frustrated. Again, is there a exe,
    > > script or bat file that can be created that people could download from the
    > > web that would auto config a windows machine for the SSID and wpa2 settings
    > > have been establised by our Network admins? Would would like minimum client
    > > interaction once the script is executed.

    > You didn't like the last answer I gave you when you were pcicero?
    >
    > [If you aren't pcicero, search for the subject "Automate wifi setup for
    > multiple networks"]
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  4. Re: Auto Config SSID/WPA2 Settings for WiFi users

    I also do not think the Wizard allows for complete configuration of our WPA2
    network. I like the USB drive approach, however it does not allow me to
    config the EAP encryption type (PEAP) or select to validate server
    certficate, etc. Can you send examples of the wsetting.cfg file that would
    include these XML elements?

    "Terry" wrote:

    > I am not pcicero....And the solution I seen for his question was a config
    > wizard. I am looking for something more of "behind the scenes" I do not
    > want the users to have to do anything, other then kick off the
    > script/program...Are you saying that this will do what I need? Please
    > advise. Thank you for your time.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    > > Terry wrote:
    > > > We would like to create a executable or bat file that would allow for users
    > > > to auto config Wireless setting using WPA2. The current process takes about
    > > > 9-10 steps for users to perfrom within the wireless setting utility and our
    > > > novice users are getting confused and frustrated. Again, is there a exe,
    > > > script or bat file that can be created that people could download from the
    > > > web that would auto config a windows machine for the SSID and wpa2 settings
    > > > have been establised by our Network admins? Would would like minimum client
    > > > interaction once the script is executed.

    > > You didn't like the last answer I gave you when you were pcicero?
    > >
    > > [If you aren't pcicero, search for the subject "Automate wifi setup for
    > > multiple networks"]
    > >
    > > --
    > > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    > >
    > > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

  5. Re: Auto Config SSID/WPA2 Settings for WiFi users

    Terry wrote:
    > I also do not think the Wizard allows for complete configuration of our WPA2
    > network. I like the USB drive approach, however it does not allow me to
    > config the EAP encryption type (PEAP) or select to validate server
    > certficate, etc. Can you send examples of the wsetting.cfg file that would
    > include these XML elements?
    >
    > "Terry" wrote:
    >
    >> I am not pcicero....And the solution I seen for his question was a config
    >> wizard. I am looking for something more of "behind the scenes" I do not
    >> want the users to have to do anything, other then kick off the
    >> script/program...Are you saying that this will do what I need? Please
    >> advise. Thank you for your time.

    >>> You didn't like the last answer I gave you when you were pcicero?
    >>>
    >>> [If you aren't pcicero, search for the subject "Automate wifi setup for
    >>> multiple networks"]
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>>
    >>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    Sorry for thinking you were someone else, but the questions were very
    similar.

    The Wireless Network Setup Wizard is designed for the home user, to help
    configure shared keys, i.e., WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. You seem to need
    something to deal with a corporate environment, at least that's what I
    take from your mention of PEAP and servers. At least as of 2 years ago
    (12/7/04), "The Windows XP SP2 version of the Wireless Network Setup
    Wizard does not support the configuration of 802.1X authentication
    settings."

    Instead, see this MS Cable Guy article, that explains how to use the
    Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies Group Policy extension or
    Wireless Provisioning Services.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo...lte120704.mspx

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking