Email OK, Browsing not. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Email OK, Browsing not. - Wireless ; A relative (100 miles away) has just installed a Netgear DG834GT wireless modem router. She can download emails and connect to the email server at her office but cannot connect to or browse websites. She is using WXPPro and has ...

  1. Email OK, Browsing not.

    A relative (100 miles away) has just installed a Netgear DG834GT wireless
    modem router.
    She can download emails and connect to the email server at her office but
    cannot connect to or browse websites.
    She is using WXPPro and has WEP enabled on her router. The router firewall
    is enabled and she says she cannot disable it and all outbound traffic is
    set to allow anyway.
    Any suggestions gratefully received, (feedback could be slow)

    TIA
    Mike Hyndman

  2. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    Hi

    From the way you describe it, I assume that the connection to the Wireless
    Router, and from there to the Internet is OK, otherwise the email would not
    work either.

    If the Browser start normally but reports that it cannot connect. Make sure
    that it is Not blocked by the Windows Firewall.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

    Otherwise more details have to be posted, explaining the system and what’s
    occurs, in details.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >A relative (100 miles away) has just installed a Netgear DG834GT wireless
    >modem router.
    > She can download emails and connect to the email server at her office but
    > cannot connect to or browse websites.
    > She is using WXPPro and has WEP enabled on her router. The router firewall
    > is enabled and she says she cannot disable it and all outbound traffic is
    > set to allow anyway.
    > Any suggestions gratefully received, (feedback could be slow)
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike Hyndman

  3. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    > Hi
    >
    > From the way you describe it, I assume that the connection to the Wireless
    > Router, and from there to the Internet is OK, otherwise the email would
    > not work either.
    >
    > If the Browser start normally but reports that it cannot connect. Make
    > sure that it is Not blocked by the Windows Firewall.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >
    > Otherwise more details have to be posted, explaining the system and what's
    > occurs, in details.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>A relative (100 miles away) has just installed a Netgear DG834GT wireless
    >>modem router.
    >> She can download emails and connect to the email server at her office but
    >> cannot connect to or browse websites.
    >> She is using WXPPro and has WEP enabled on her router. The router
    >> firewall is enabled and she says she cannot disable it and all outbound
    >> traffic is set to allow anyway.
    >> Any suggestions gratefully received, (feedback could be slow)
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Mike Hyndman

    Hello Jack,,

    Thanks for your reply, she cannot connect wirelessly or via the router lan
    connection to the internet but can send and receive her emails.
    I am sure she was able to do this initially but not since she enabled the
    wep security. I have emailed her since but not had a reply. I have not heard
    of enabling wireless security causing this before but "reverse the last
    step"? Will check the KB article.
    Again, many thanks.

    Mike H

  4. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    Enabling WEP security is not going to break her Internet surfing but yet
    permit her email access. Also if she connects directly to the router by
    cable then WEP security is bypass, but I hear you saying she still can not
    connect. Is she connected to more than one network at the same time, like a
    company LAN and her DSL connection?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> From the way you describe it, I assume that the connection to the
    >> Wireless Router, and from there to the Internet is OK, otherwise the
    >> email would not work either.
    >>
    >> If the Browser start normally but reports that it cannot connect. Make
    >> sure that it is Not blocked by the Windows Firewall.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >>
    >> Otherwise more details have to be posted, explaining the system and
    >> what's occurs, in details.
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>>A relative (100 miles away) has just installed a Netgear DG834GT wireless
    >>>modem router.
    >>> She can download emails and connect to the email server at her office
    >>> but cannot connect to or browse websites.
    >>> She is using WXPPro and has WEP enabled on her router. The router
    >>> firewall is enabled and she says she cannot disable it and all outbound
    >>> traffic is set to allow anyway.
    >>> Any suggestions gratefully received, (feedback could be slow)
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Mike Hyndman

    > Hello Jack,,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply, she cannot connect wirelessly or via the router lan
    > connection to the internet but can send and receive her emails.
    > I am sure she was able to do this initially but not since she enabled the
    > wep security. I have emailed her since but not had a reply. I have not
    > heard of enabling wireless security causing this before but "reverse the
    > last step"? Will check the KB article.
    > Again, many thanks.
    >
    > Mike H

  5. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    "David Hettel" wrote in message
    > Enabling WEP security is not going to break her Internet surfing but yet
    > permit her email access. Also if she connects directly to the router by
    > cable then WEP security is bypass, but I hear you saying she still can not
    > connect. Is she connected to more than one network at the same time, like
    > a company LAN and her DSL connection?

    Hello David,

    She is connecting from home,(one PC only) the modem router is only twenty
    minutes out of the box (a Speedtouch modem replacement, no problems browsing
    which should rule out the Windows firewall)
    She configured it via the lan connection as per her ISP's instructions and
    was able to connect to her company mail server as well as her ISP's mail
    server (wirelessly) but she gets the "page cannot be displayed etc.," when
    she tries the Internet.
    The router has its own firewall which, she says, doesn't seem able to be
    disabled. (possibly blocking outgoing?)
    She says she is going to do a "reset" this evening followed by a reconfigure
    just in case she has clicked on something she shouldn't have.

    Many thanks for your reply.

    Mike H

    > --
    > David Hettel
    >
    > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > everyone
    > to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > in
    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > or
    > inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    > confers
    > no rights.
    >

    > "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> From the way you describe it, I assume that the connection to the
    >>> Wireless Router, and from there to the Internet is OK, otherwise the
    >>> email would not work either.
    >>>
    >>> If the Browser start normally but reports that it cannot connect. Make
    >>> sure that it is Not blocked by the Windows Firewall.
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise more details have to be posted, explaining the system and
    >>> what's occurs, in details.
    >>>
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>

    >>> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message

    >> Hello Jack,,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply, she cannot connect wirelessly or via the router
    >> lan connection to the internet but can send and receive her emails.
    >> I am sure she was able to do this initially but not since she enabled the
    >> wep security. I have emailed her since but not had a reply. I have not
    >> heard of enabling wireless security causing this before but "reverse the
    >> last step"? Will check the KB article.
    >> Again, many thanks.
    >>
    >> Mike H

  6. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    You might ask her to do | Start Menu | Run | CMD [Enter] | in the new
    window, Ping dhl.com [Enter] | and if that fails to try Ping 199.41.238.471
    [Enter]

    --

    > "David Hettel" wrote in message
    >> Enabling WEP security is not going to break her Internet surfing but yet
    >> permit her email access. Also if she connects directly to the router by
    >> cable then WEP security is bypass, but I hear you saying she still can
    >> not connect. Is she connected to more than one network at the same time,
    >> like a company LAN and her DSL connection?

    > Hello David,
    >
    > She is connecting from home,(one PC only) the modem router is only twenty
    > minutes out of the box (a Speedtouch modem replacement, no problems
    > browsing which should rule out the Windows firewall)
    > She configured it via the lan connection as per her ISP's instructions and
    > was able to connect to her company mail server as well as her ISP's mail
    > server (wirelessly) but she gets the "page cannot be displayed etc.," when
    > she tries the Internet.
    > The router has its own firewall which, she says, doesn't seem able to be
    > disabled. (possibly blocking outgoing?)
    > She says she is going to do a "reset" this evening followed by a
    > reconfigure just in case she has clicked on something she shouldn't have.
    >
    > Many thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Mike H
    >
    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    >> everyone
    >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    >> in
    >> E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    >> kind,
    >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    >> reliability
    >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    >> or
    >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    >> confers
    >> no rights.
    >>

    >> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message

    >>> Hello Jack,,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your reply, she cannot connect wirelessly or via the router
    >>> lan connection to the internet but can send and receive her emails.
    >>> I am sure she was able to do this initially but not since she enabled
    >>> the wep security. I have emailed her since but not had a reply. I have
    >>> not heard of enabling wireless security causing this before but "reverse
    >>> the last step"? Will check the KB article.
    >>> Again, many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Mike H

  7. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    > You might ask her to do | Start Menu | Run | CMD [Enter] | in the new
    > window, Ping dhl.com [Enter] | and if that fails to try Ping
    > 199.41.238.471 [Enter]

    David,

    Will do, many thanks.
    Regards
    Mike H

    > --
    > David Hettel
    >
    > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > everyone
    > to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > in
    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > or
    > inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    > confers
    > no rights.
    >

    > "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Hettel" wrote in message
    >>> Enabling WEP security is not going to break her Internet surfing but yet
    >>> permit her email access. Also if she connects directly to the router by
    >>> cable then WEP security is bypass, but I hear you saying she still can
    >>> not connect. Is she connected to more than one network at the same time,
    >>> like a company LAN and her DSL connection?

    >> Hello David,
    >>
    >> She is connecting from home,(one PC only) the modem router is only twenty
    >> minutes out of the box (a Speedtouch modem replacement, no problems
    >> browsing which should rule out the Windows firewall)
    >> She configured it via the lan connection as per her ISP's instructions
    >> and was able to connect to her company mail server as well as her ISP's
    >> mail server (wirelessly) but she gets the "page cannot be displayed
    >> etc.," when she tries the Internet.
    >> The router has its own firewall which, she says, doesn't seem able to be
    >> disabled. (possibly blocking outgoing?)
    >> She says she is going to do a "reset" this evening followed by a
    >> reconfigure just in case she has clicked on something she shouldn't have.
    >>
    >> Many thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >> Mike H
    >>
    >>> --
    >>> David Hettel
    >>>
    >>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    >>> everyone
    >>> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to
    >>> me in
    >>> E-mail or news groups.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    >>> kind,
    >>> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    >>> reliability
    >>> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >>> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    >>> or
    >>> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    >>> confers
    >>> no rights.
    >>>

    >>> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message

  8. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    > "David Hettel" wrote in message
    >> You might ask her to do | Start Menu | Run | CMD [Enter] | in the new
    >> window, Ping dhl.com [Enter] | and if that fails to try Ping
    >> 199.41.238.471 [Enter]

    > David,
    >
    > Will do, many thanks.
    > Regards
    > Mike H

    She came home, switched on and connected OK!!!
    Could there be a "contention" issue, where the net servers are busier than
    the mail servers?

    Regards
    Mike H
    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    >> everyone
    >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    >> in
    >> E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    >> kind,
    >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    >> reliability
    >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    >> or
    >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    >> confers
    >> no rights.
    >>

    >> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "David Hettel" wrote in message
    >>> Hello David,
    >>>
    >>> She is connecting from home,(one PC only) the modem router is only
    >>> twenty minutes out of the box (a Speedtouch modem replacement, no
    >>> problems browsing which should rule out the Windows firewall)
    >>> She configured it via the lan connection as per her ISP's instructions
    >>> and was able to connect to her company mail server as well as her ISP's
    >>> mail server (wirelessly) but she gets the "page cannot be displayed
    >>> etc.," when she tries the Internet.
    >>> The router has its own firewall which, she says, doesn't seem able to be
    >>> disabled. (possibly blocking outgoing?)
    >>> She says she is going to do a "reset" this evening followed by a
    >>> reconfigure just in case she has clicked on something she shouldn't
    >>> have.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for your reply.
    >>>
    >>> Mike H

  9. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    Hi
    It probably has to do with the ISP server registering the account as active
    and allow it through which might tool place few hours after the initial
    attempt to connect.
    It might sound like an Oxymoron but the email working at that time was
    probably just a "Fluke".

    > "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Hettel" wrote in message
    >>> You might ask her to do | Start Menu | Run | CMD [Enter] | in the new
    >>> window, Ping dhl.com [Enter] | and if that fails to try Ping
    >>> 199.41.238.471 [Enter]

    >> David,
    >>
    >> Will do, many thanks.
    >> Regards
    >> Mike H

    > She came home, switched on and connected OK!!!
    > Could there be a "contention" issue, where the net servers are busier than
    > the mail servers?
    >
    > Regards
    > Mike H
    >>> --
    >>> David Hettel
    >>>
    >>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    >>> everyone
    >>> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to
    >>> me in
    >>> E-mail or news groups.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    >>> kind,
    >>> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    >>> reliability
    >>> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >>> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    >>> or
    >>> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    >>> confers
    >>> no rights.
    >>>

    >>> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message

  10. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    > Hi
    > It probably has to do with the ISP server registering the account as
    > active

    The account had been active since last year via a BB modem, the router was
    just a system "upgrade".

    > and allow it through which might tool place few hours after the initial
    > attempt to connect.
    > It might sound like an Oxymoron but the email working at that time was
    > probably just a "Fluke".
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    The main thing is that it seems to be working now.

    thanks again Jack,

    Mike H

    > "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "David Hettel" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> David,
    >>>
    >>> Will do, many thanks.
    >>> Regards
    >>> Mike H

    >> She came home, switched on and connected OK!!!
    >> Could there be a "contention" issue, where the net servers are busier
    >> than the mail servers?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Mike H

  11. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    Hi
    If it is a New unit and the old modem was taken out the ISP sees suddenly a
    new MAC number and need to adjust.

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> It probably has to do with the ISP server registering the account as
    >> active

    > The account had been active since last year via a BB modem, the router was
    > just a system "upgrade".
    >
    >> and allow it through which might tool place few hours after the initial
    >> attempt to connect.
    >> It might sound like an Oxymoron but the email working at that time was
    >> probably just a "Fluke".
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > The main thing is that it seems to be working now.
    >
    > thanks again Jack,
    >
    > Mike H
    >

    >> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message

    >>> She came home, switched on and connected OK!!!
    >>> Could there be a "contention" issue, where the net servers are busier
    >>> than the mail servers?
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Mike H

  12. Re: Email OK, Browsing not.

    > Hi
    > If it is a New unit and the old modem was taken out the ISP sees suddenly
    > a new MAC number and need to adjust.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Ahh, the wonders of wireless networking

    Regards
    Mike H

    > "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> It probably has to do with the ISP server registering the account as
    >>> active

    >> The account had been active since last year via a BB modem, the router
    >> was just a system "upgrade".
    >>
    >>> and allow it through which might tool place few hours after the initial
    >>> attempt to connect.
    >>> It might sound like an Oxymoron but the email working at that time was
    >>> probably just a "Fluke".
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    >> The main thing is that it seems to be working now.
    >>
    >> thanks again Jack,
    >>
    >> Mike H
    >>

    >>> "Mike Hyndman" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread