Automate wifi setup for multiple networks - Wireless

This is a discussion on Automate wifi setup for multiple networks - Wireless ; Is it at all possible to create a package or batch file that an end-user can run that will automatically add wifi network information, as well as WEP keys, key index, DNS and IP info, etc? I have been searching ...

  1. Automate wifi setup for multiple networks

    Is it at all possible to create a package or batch file that an
    end-user can run that will automatically add wifi network information,
    as well as WEP keys, key index, DNS and IP info, etc?

    I have been searching for a way to accomplish this, but have not seen
    anything addressing this kind of question.

    TIA
    pcicero@gmail.com

  2. Re: Automate wifi setup for multiple networks

    pcicero@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is it at all possible to create a package or batch file that an
    > end-user can run that will automatically add wifi network information,
    > as well as WEP keys, key index, DNS and IP info, etc?
    >
    > I have been searching for a way to accomplish this, but have not seen
    > anything addressing this kind of question.
    >
    > TIA
    > pcicero@gmail.com

    Windows Wireless Network Setup Wizard:

    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. Re: Automate wifi setup for multiple networks

    That wizzard only seems to allow config of PSK based security. What about
    pre-provisioning WPA-Enterprise SSID's..?

    "Lem" wrote:

    > pcicero@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Is it at all possible to create a package or batch file that an
    > > end-user can run that will automatically add wifi network information,
    > > as well as WEP keys, key index, DNS and IP info, etc?
    > >
    > > I have been searching for a way to accomplish this, but have not seen
    > > anything addressing this kind of question.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > pcicero@gmail.com
    > >

    > Windows Wireless Network Setup Wizard:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  4. Re: Automate wifi setup for multiple networks

    RoadyRunner wrote:
    > That wizzard only seems to allow config of PSK based security. What about
    > pre-provisioning WPA-Enterprise SSID's..?
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> pcicero@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Is it at all possible to create a package or batch file that an
    >>> end-user can run that will automatically add wifi network information,
    >>> as well as WEP keys, key index, DNS and IP info, etc?
    >>>
    >>> I have been searching for a way to accomplish this, but have not seen
    >>> anything addressing this kind of question.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> pcicero@gmail.com
    >>>

    >> Windows Wireless Network Setup Wizard:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    You're right, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard is designed for the home
    user, to help configure shared keys, i.e., WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. At
    least as of 2 years ago (12/7/04), "The Windows XP SP2 version of the
    Wireless Network Setup Wizard does not support the configuration of
    802.1X authentication settings."

    For Enterprise configuration, see this MS Cable Guy article, that
    explains how to use the Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies Group
    Policy extension or Wireless Provisioning Services.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo...lte120704.mspx

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  5. Re: Automate wifi setup for multiple networks

    I had seen this before. I prefer the GPO approach - and have it working
    successfully except for one thing - the client gets set to 'Automatically
    Connect' to the network. As out client machines normally use a wired
    connection (and only use wireless when in a conference room) I need to create
    the profile set to 'manual'.. Any ideas?

    Many thanks..

    "Lem" wrote:

    > RoadyRunner wrote:
    > > That wizzard only seems to allow config of PSK based security. What about
    > > pre-provisioning WPA-Enterprise SSID's..?

    > >> Windows Wireless Network Setup Wizard:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    > >>
    > >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    > >>

    > You're right, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard is designed for the home
    > user, to help configure shared keys, i.e., WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. At
    > least as of 2 years ago (12/7/04), "The Windows XP SP2 version of the
    > Wireless Network Setup Wizard does not support the configuration of
    > 802.1X authentication settings."
    >
    > For Enterprise configuration, see this MS Cable Guy article, that
    > explains how to use the Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies Group
    > Policy extension or Wireless Provisioning Services.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo...lte120704.mspx
    >

    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  6. Re: Automate wifi setup for multiple networks

    RoadyRunner wrote:
    > I had seen this before. I prefer the GPO approach - and have it working
    > successfully except for one thing - the client gets set to 'Automatically
    > Connect' to the network. As out client machines normally use a wired
    > connection (and only use wireless when in a conference room) I need to create
    > the profile set to 'manual'.. Any ideas?
    >
    > Many thanks..
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> RoadyRunner wrote:
    >>> That wizzard only seems to allow config of PSK based security. What about
    >>> pre-provisioning WPA-Enterprise SSID's..?

    >> You're right, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard is designed for the home
    >> user, to help configure shared keys, i.e., WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. At
    >> least as of 2 years ago (12/7/04), "The Windows XP SP2 version of the
    >> Wireless Network Setup Wizard does not support the configuration of
    >> 802.1X authentication settings."
    >>
    >> For Enterprise configuration, see this MS Cable Guy article, that
    >> explains how to use the Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies Group
    >> Policy extension or Wireless Provisioning Services.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo...lte120704.mspx
    >>

    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    Sorry, no more ideas.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking