Hi
Assuming that by direct connect you mean that if the Laptop is plugged into
a Network via wire it is capable to use the Internet.
There can be many settings that are Off and contribute to inability to
connect. In order to avoid a trial and error fishing expedition try to
evaluate the system configuration and find out what is not configured
correctly.
May be this can Help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).