EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624 - Wireless

This is a discussion on EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624 - Wireless ; I've been trying for a couple weeks on trying to get this set up and haven't been successful with the articles that other threads point to. I did have it done via ad hoc peer to peer once, but with ...

  1. EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    I've been trying for a couple weeks on trying to get this set up and
    haven't been successful with the articles that other threads point to.
    I did have it done via ad hoc peer to peer once, but with security
    issues, I would prefer to use the router as an access point and then I
    can filter by MAC.

    Basically what I have is an EVDO card from Sprint and want to use it
    via ICS with another laptop. One of the computers is part of a domain
    (a corporate laptop) and I'm not sure if that is part of the issue. The
    other is a personal laptop. I don't mind using either of them as the
    host.

    Can I use the DI-624 as an access point?

    I've gone through the settings on the router and then after a while, I
    am unable to login to 192.168.0.1 for some reason even with a Cat5
    connected to the laptop and router.

    Enabled the ICS on the host machine and it shows sharing and connected.
    I've also tried it with Windows Firewall enabled and disabled with no
    luck. I think what I need to do is start from scratch to build this
    network. I've even set up the TCP/IP IP address manually so that
    they're static. I can ping only when the Windows firewall is not
    working.

    If I turn off Windows Firewall and will my network still be protected
    via the Di-624? I don't have any firewall software on either of the
    computers...

    Please help... step by step would be helpful...

  2. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    J wrote:
    > I've been trying for a couple weeks on trying to get this set up and
    > haven't been successful with the articles that other threads point to.
    > I did have it done via ad hoc peer to peer once, but with security
    > issues, I would prefer to use the router as an access point and then I
    > can filter by MAC.
    >
    > Basically what I have is an EVDO card from Sprint and want to use it
    > via ICS with another laptop. One of the computers is part of a domain
    > (a corporate laptop) and I'm not sure if that is part of the issue. The
    > other is a personal laptop. I don't mind using either of them as the
    > host.
    >
    > Can I use the DI-624 as an access point?
    >
    > I've gone through the settings on the router and then after a while, I
    > am unable to login to 192.168.0.1 for some reason even with a Cat5
    > connected to the laptop and router.
    >
    > Enabled the ICS on the host machine and it shows sharing and connected.
    > I've also tried it with Windows Firewall enabled and disabled with no
    > luck. I think what I need to do is start from scratch to build this
    > network. I've even set up the TCP/IP IP address manually so that
    > they're static. I can ping only when the Windows firewall is not
    > working.
    >
    > If I turn off Windows Firewall and will my network still be protected
    > via the Di-624? I don't have any firewall software on either of the
    > computers...
    >
    > Please help... step by step would be helpful...

    You should be able to do this. The router will no longer provide any
    "firewall"-type security to your network (although you should encrypt
    the wireless network to prevent anyone from accessing your LAN computers
    that way), so you should ensure that your EVDO connection is protected
    with a software firewall.

    In general, see http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    You will be using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share the
    EVDO Internet connection. ICS provides software NAT and DHCP services.
    Thus, to the extent ICS is providing NAT, the other computers are
    "shielded" from the Internet in the same way as they would be behind the
    DI-624 used in its normal mode -- but the laptop with the EVDO card is not.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066/en-us "How to enable Internet
    Connection Sharing ..."

    By unchangeable default, ICS sets the LAN-side NIC to a static IP
    address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
    Unfortunately, this is also the default LAN IP address of the DI-624, so
    you will have to change that.

    Set the LAN IP address of the DI-624 to 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet
    mask. Disable the DHCP server on the DI-624. Connect one of the LAN
    ports (not the WAN or Internet port) of the DI-624 to the NIC on your
    laptop. IIRC, the DI-624 has autosensing ports, so you shouldn't have
    to worry about whether your cable is straight through or crossover.

    Although ICS does have a DHCP server, I do not recall (if I ever knew)
    what range of IP addresses it serves. I do know that whatever it uses,
    you can't change it. Therefore, on the assumption that the ICS DHCP
    server will allocate any address in the range 192.168.0.2 through
    192.168.0.255, I think that it would be safer to assign static IP
    addresses to all of the wireless clients. Otherwise (because, AFAIK,
    you can't get the DI-624 to accept an automatic LAN IP) you run the risk
    of having one of your client computers assigned the same 192.168.0.2 IP
    address that you set for the DI-624. (If you want to live dangerously,
    set the DI-624 IP to something in the middle of the range, like
    192.168.0.97, which is unlikely to ever be allocated by the ICS DHCP
    server; you can then leave the wireless clients to "obtain an IP address
    automatically".)

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    I've gotten this far...

    With no firewalls on the computers or WEP on the router, I've been able
    to get them both connected to the router. I can login to see that both
    laptops are in the client list... I can see the other computer in the
    workgroup computers... so file sharing looks like it's working. I've
    enabled ICS on the host but there is still no connectivity to the net
    from the client. One thing I do see on the client is an Internet
    Gateway which shows the name of the connection (EVDO data card that is
    on the host). Another thing that is new on the client is a 1394
    Connection that is Connected... but I'm not sure what it is or what it
    does.

    Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

    On Jan 24, 1:28 pm, Lem wrote:
> [...]

    > Although ICS does have a DHCP server, I do not recall (if I ever knew)
    > what range of IP addresses it serves. I do know that whatever it uses,
    > you can't change it. Therefore, on the assumption that the ICS DHCP
    > server will allocate any address in the range 192.168.0.2 through
    > 192.168.0.255, I think that it would be safer to assign static IP
    > addresses to all of the wireless clients. Otherwise (because, AFAIK,
    > you can't get the DI-624 to accept an automatic LAN IP) you run the risk
    > of having one of your client computers assigned the same 192.168.0.2 IP
    > address that you set for the DI-624. (If you want to live dangerously,
    > set the DI-624 IP to something in the middle of the range, like
    > 192.168.0.97, which is unlikely to ever be allocated by the ICS DHCP
    > server; you can then leave the wireless clients to "obtain an IP address

  4. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    J wrote:

> [...]

    >>Although ICS does have a DHCP server, I do not recall (if I ever knew)
    >>what range of IP addresses it serves. I do know that whatever it uses,
    >>you can't change it. Therefore, on the assumption that the ICS DHCP
    >>server will allocate any address in the range 192.168.0.2 through
    >>192.168.0.255, I think that it would be safer to assign static IP
    >>addresses to all of the wireless clients. Otherwise (because, AFAIK,
    >>you can't get the DI-624 to accept an automatic LAN IP) you run the risk
    >>of having one of your client computers assigned the same 192.168.0.2 IP
    >>address that you set for the DI-624. (If you want to live dangerously,
    >>set the DI-624 IP to something in the middle of the range, like
    >>192.168.0.97, which is unlikely to ever be allocated by the ICS DHCP
    >>server; you can then leave the wireless clients to "obtain an IP address

    The 1394 connection is your FireWire connection. It should not show
    "connected" unless you've plugged something into it, such as an iPod or
    camera.

    I haven't used an EVDO card. Is there a login procedure that must be
    run (analogous to dialing a modem)? I don't know if selecting the check
    box to "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network
    attempts to access the Internet" will work for EVDO or not. You may
    have to manually establish the Internet connection via the EVDO card
    before the "client" computer will be able to access the Internet.

    See this ICS troubleshooter: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308021/en-us

    On each computer, open a command prompt window and type (without the
    quotes):

    "ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt"

    press enter.

    Then, again on each computer, start Notepad and open the file
    c:\config.txt. Copy and paste the text into your next post, indicating
    which is from the "client" laptop and which is "host" laptop. If, in
    fact, you really can't share files, you'll have to manually enter the
    info from the "client" laptop.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  5. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    Ok... to make things a bit more complicated... I think it may be an
    issue with the router... however, I am unable to upgrade to the latest
    firmware... I'm on a rev C of the DI-624 and when I try to upgrade the
    firmware... it says the file I d/led from D-Link is incompatible.

    I did happen to get it working last night for a bit... since my Wii
    recognized it. I had to add the DNS servers to the client.

    However today, when I turned on the router and the host, it would not
    connect to the router. No matter how many times I re-created the
    preferred network. There are no firewalls up and no encryption set up.
    I have the files for the ipconfigs but since the adapters are not
    connected, I think it would be pointless to post them.

    Any thoughts on getting this router's firmware upgraded first? If its
    not one thing... it's another right?

    Thanks for your help Lem.

    On Jan 25, 12:01 am, Lem wrote:
> [...]

    > run (analogous to dialing a modem)? I don't know if selecting the check
    > box to "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network
    > attempts to access the Internet" will work forEVDOor not. You may
    > have to manually establish the Internet connection via theEVDOcard
    > before the "client" computer will be able to access the Internet.
    >
    > See this ICS troubleshooter:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308021/en-us
    >
    > On each computer, open a command prompt window and type (without the
    > quotes):
    >
    > "ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt"
    >
    > press enter.
    >
    > Then, again on each computer, start Notepad and open the file
    > c:\config.txt. Copy and paste the text into your next post, indicating
    > which is from the "client" laptop and which is "host" laptop. If, in
    > fact, you really can't share files, you'll have to manually enter the

  6. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    I forgot to address the 1394... it said net connected. I didn't have
    anything else connected to this computer or the client when setting the
    network up.

    On Jan 25, 9:59 pm, "J" wrote:
> [...]

    > > run (analogous to dialing a modem)? I don't know if selecting the check
    > > box to "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network
    > > attempts to access the Internet" will work forEVDOor not. You may
    > > have to manually establish the Internet connection via theEVDOcard
    > > before the "client" computer will be able to access the Internet.

    > > See this ICS troubleshooter:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308021/en-us

    > > On each computer, open a command prompt window and type (without the
    > > quotes):

    > > "ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt"

    > > press enter.

    > > Then, again on each computer, start Notepad and open the file
    > > c:\config.txt. Copy and paste the text into your next post, indicating
    > > which is from the "client" laptop and which is "host" laptop. If, in
    > > fact, you really can't share files, you'll have to manually enter the

  7. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    J wrote:
> [...]

    >>run (analogous to dialing a modem)? I don't know if selecting the check
    >>box to "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network
    >>attempts to access the Internet" will work forEVDOor not. You may
    >>have to manually establish the Internet connection via theEVDOcard
    >>before the "client" computer will be able to access the Internet.
    >>
    >>See this ICS troubleshooter:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308021/en-us
    >>
    >>On each computer, open a command prompt window and type (without the
    >>quotes):
    >>
    >>"ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt"
    >>
    >>press enter.
    >>
    >>Then, again on each computer, start Notepad and open the file
    >>c:\config.txt. Copy and paste the text into your next post, indicating
    >>which is from the "client" laptop and which is "host" laptop. If, in
    >>fact, you really can't share files, you'll have to manually enter the

    Sorry, I really don't have any further ideas, except to note that the
    DI-624 has Revs. A, B, C, D, and E. Are you sure you really have a Rev
    C? And if so, are you sure you downloaded the Rev C firmware? The file
    should be named di624_revC_firmware_276.bin (there seems also to be a
    slightly older version that you could try named di624_revC_firmware_275.bin

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  8. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    Lem,

    Thank you very much for your help thus far. I was able to
    successfully... (at least that's what the router is showing) update
    the firmware to 2.76. The issue was that the router was originally
    from Verizon and I needed to get the file from them. It didn't say it
    was a "success" since that page asking for the file and completing the
    upgrade timed out... but when I check the firmware in the router, it
    is saying it's at 2.76. I "seemed" to have the ICS with the EVDO card
    working... at least it looked like it was last night, I'll have to
    check again today. I enabled the MAC filtering and will add on
    encryption which should take care of the LAN from inside the router.
    What firewall software would you suggest for the host computer? You
    mentioned that this computer is vulnerable in a previous message.

    On Jan 26, 8:54 pm, Lem wrote:
    > J wrote:
    > > Ok... to make things a bit more complicated... I think it may be an
    > > issue with the router... however, I am unable to upgrade to the latest
    > > firmware... I'm on a rev C of the DI-624 and when I try to upgrade the
    > > firmware... it says the file I d/led from D-Link is incompatible.

    > > I did happen to get it working last night for a bit... since my Wii
    > > recognized it. I had to add the DNS servers to the client.

    > > However today, when I turned on the router and the host, it would not
    > > connect to the router. No matter how many times I re-created the
    > > preferred network. There are no firewalls up and no encryption set up.
    > > I have the files for the ipconfigs but since the adapters are not
    > > connected, I think it would be pointless to post them.

    > > Any thoughts on getting this router's firmware upgraded first? If its
    > > not one thing... it's another right?

    > > Thanks for your help Lem.

    > >>"connected" unless you've plugged something into it, such as an iPod or
    > >>camera.

    > >>I haven't used anEVDOcard. Is there a login procedure that must be
    > >>run (analogous to dialing a modem)? I don't know if selecting the check
    > >>box to "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network
    > >>attempts to access the Internet" will work forEVDOor not. You may
    > >>have to manually establish the Internet connection via theEVDOcard
    > >>before the "client" computer will be able to access the Internet.

    > >>See this ICS troubleshooter:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308021/en-us

    > >>On each computer, open a command prompt window and type (without the
    > >>quotes):

    > >>"ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt"

    > >>press enter.

    > >>Then, again on each computer, start Notepad and open the file
    > >>c:\config.txt. Copy and paste the text into your next post, indicating
    > >>which is from the "client" laptop and which is "host" laptop. If, in
    > >>fact, you really can't share files, you'll have to manually enter the
    > >>info from the "client" laptop.

    > >>--
    > >>Lem -- MS-MVP -Networking

    > >>To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_..._Computer-Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -Sorry, I really don't have any further ideas, except to note that the

    > DI-624 has Revs. A, B, C, D, and E. Are you sure you really have a Rev
    > C? And if so, are you sure you downloaded the Rev C firmware? The file
    > should be named di624_revC_firmware_276.bin (there seems also to be a
    > slightly older version that you could try named di624_revC_firmware_275.bin
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP -Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

  9. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    Update...

    It seems that I have the MAC filtering working... however it seems
    that the host has a hard time connecting to the AP for some reason. I
    had to use a Cat5 to get it working and then it ended up
    authenticating via wifi after a reboot of the host. My next question
    is that I have downloaded PC Tools Firewall Plus... highly rated from
    tucows.com... I require some assistance in order to allow the LAN to
    get through the firewall so that they can access ICS. Not sure how
    that works...

    Thanks.

    On Jan 28, 9:06 am, "J" wrote:
    > Lem,
    >
    > Thank you very much for your help thus far. I was able to
    > successfully... (at least that's what the router is showing) update
    > the firmware to 2.76. The issue was that the router was originally
    > from Verizon and I needed to get the file from them. It didn't say it
    > was a "success" since that page asking for the file and completing the
    > upgrade timed out... but when I check the firmware in the router, it
    > is saying it's at 2.76. I "seemed" to have the ICS with theEVDOcard
    > working... at least it looked like it was last night, I'll have to
    > check again today. I enabled the MAC filtering and will add on
    > encryption which should take care of the LAN from inside the router.
    > What firewall software would you suggest for the host computer? You
    > mentioned that this computer is vulnerable in a previous message.
    >
    > On Jan 26, 8:54 pm, Lem wrote:
    >

    > > J wrote:
    > > > Ok... to make things a bit more complicated... I think it may be an
    > > > issue with the router... however, I am unable to upgrade to the latest
    > > > firmware... I'm on a rev C of the DI-624 and when I try to upgrade the
    > > > firmware... it says the file I d/led from D-Link is incompatible.

    > > > I did happen to get it working last night for a bit... since my Wii
    > > > recognized it. I had to add the DNS servers to the client.

    > > > However today, when I turned on the router and the host, it would not
    > > > connect to the router. No matter how many times I re-created the
    > > > preferred network. There are no firewalls up and no encryption set up.
    > > > I have the files for the ipconfigs but since the adapters are not
    > > > connected, I think it would be pointless to post them.

    > > > Any thoughts on getting this router's firmware upgraded first? If its
    > > > not one thing... it's another right?

    > > > Thanks for your help Lem.

    > > DI-624 has Revs. A, B, C, D, and E. Are you sure you really have a Rev
    > > C? And if so, are you sure you downloaded the Rev C firmware? The file
    > > should be named di624_revC_firmware_276.bin (there seems also to be a
    > > slightly older version that you could try named di624_revC_firmware_275.bin

    > > --
    > > Lem -- MS-MVP -Networking

    > > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_..._Computer-Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

  10. Re: EVDO - multiple laptops - ICS - DI-624

    J wrote:
    > Update...
    >
    > It seems that I have the MAC filtering working... however it seems
    > that the host has a hard time connecting to the AP for some reason. I
    > had to use a Cat5 to get it working and then it ended up
    > authenticating via wifi after a reboot of the host. My next question
    > is that I have downloaded PC Tools Firewall Plus... highly rated from
    > tucows.com... I require some assistance in order to allow the LAN to
    > get through the firewall so that they can access ICS. Not sure how
    > that works...
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > On Jan 28, 9:06 am, "J" wrote:
    >> Lem,
    >>
    >> Thank you very much for your help thus far. I was able to
    >> successfully... (at least that's what the router is showing) update
    >> the firmware to 2.76. The issue was that the router was originally
    >> from Verizon and I needed to get the file from them. It didn't say it
    >> was a "success" since that page asking for the file and completing the
    >> upgrade timed out... but when I check the firmware in the router, it
    >> is saying it's at 2.76. I "seemed" to have the ICS with theEVDOcard
    >> working... at least it looked like it was last night, I'll have to
    >> check again today. I enabled the MAC filtering and will add on
    >> encryption which should take care of the LAN from inside the router.
    >> What firewall software would you suggest for the host computer? You
    >> mentioned that this computer is vulnerable in a previous message.

    >>> DI-624 has Revs. A, B, C, D, and E. Are you sure you really have a Rev
    >>> C? And if so, are you sure you downloaded the Rev C firmware? The file
    >>> should be named di624_revC_firmware_276.bin (there seems also to be a
    >>> slightly older version that you could try named di624_revC_firmware_275.bin
    >>> --
    >>> Lem -- MS-MVP -Networking
    >>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_..._Computer-Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

    Sorry, I don't know details of how to configure PC Tools Firewall Plus.
    The idea is that you want to firewall the EVDO connection. If the
    firewall also operates on the LAN side NIC, you will have to tell it
    that the other computers on the LAN are "trusted." You should be able
    to do this by specifying a range of trusted IP addresses. In your case,
    it would be 192.168.0.1 - 192.188.0.255. Alternatively, if you set
    static IPs on all of your LAN computers, you may be able to individually
    identify them as trusted. If you do this, don't forget to include the
    LAN IP of the router.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking