home wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on home wireless network - Wireless ; I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can work wirelesly at home. My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router. When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there seems to ...

  1. home wireless network

    I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can work
    wirelesly at home.

    My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router.

    When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there seems to
    be a default wireless network "Intel(R) PRO/wireless" consisting of about 8
    separate bits. I found his by going to "Network Connections" from control
    panel, then right clicking on "wireless network".

    Problem is this : my internet comes from a local phone company and their
    help guys recommend I use their wireless network, so I tried to uninstall the
    Intel network, but cannot!

    I do want to use my phone company's wireless network, so what should I do?
    How do I uninstall the Intel wireles network, and is it advisable to do so
    ?

    Thanks!
    --
    Vanewbie

  2. Re: home wireless network

    There is no real reason in my opinion to not use, or at least try your
    existing wireless connection. I suggest that you use your phone companies
    2700 HG-E router with your Intel Pro wireless card. I'm using an Intel Pro
    wireless card and I find it works for me.

    These pages may help;

    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "vanewbie" wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can work
    > wirelesly at home.
    >
    > My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router.
    >
    > When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there seems
    > be a default wireless network "Intel(R) PRO/wireless" consisting of about
    > 8
    > separate bits. I found his by going to "Network Connections" from control
    > panel, then right clicking on "wireless network".
    >
    > Problem is this : my internet comes from a local phone company and their
    > help guys recommend I use their wireless network, so I tried to uninstall
    > the
    > Intel network, but cannot!
    >
    > I do want to use my phone company's wireless network, so what should I do?
    > How do I uninstall the Intel wireles network, and is it advisable to do so
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Vanewbie

  3. Re: home wireless network

    Hi

    The "Intel Network" is the installation of your Laptops Wireless Card.

    Since Internet Provider gave you a Wireless Router, you need the Intel Card
    in the Laptop in order to connect to the 2wire Wireless Router.

    Read the 2wire instructions it should tell you how to create a wireless
    connection.

    Here you can find a forum dedicated to 2wire hardware,
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "vanewbie" wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can work
    > wirelesly at home.
    >
    > My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router.
    >
    > When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there seems
    > be a default wireless network "Intel(R) PRO/wireless" consisting of about
    > 8
    > separate bits. I found his by going to "Network Connections" from control
    > panel, then right clicking on "wireless network".
    >
    > Problem is this : my internet comes from a local phone company and their
    > help guys recommend I use their wireless network, so I tried to uninstall
    > the
    > Intel network, but cannot!
    >
    > I do want to use my phone company's wireless network, so what should I do?
    > How do I uninstall the Intel wireles network, and is it advisable to do so
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Vanewbie

  4. Re: home wireless network

    Thanks very much guys.

    I have tried going to my wireless network through control panel then clicked
    "show available wireless networks" but I get "windows cannot configure - if
    you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection, use that
    software"

    So I think I made the mistake of going half-way down the MS/Intel road, but
    then trying my local phone provider, so now I am stuck at the fork in the
    road and don't know how to get back!

    So please give me a trail of breadcrumbs to follow back to where I started,
    then I shall try using the Intel program with my phone company router.

    Thanks again!--
    Vanewbie

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > The "Intel Network" is the installation of your Laptops Wireless Card.
    >
    > Since Internet Provider gave you a Wireless Router, you need the Intel Card
    > in the Laptop in order to connect to the 2wire Wireless Router.
    >
    > Read the 2wire instructions it should tell you how to create a wireless
    > connection.
    >
    > Here you can find a forum dedicated to 2wire hardware,
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "vanewbie" wrote in message
    > >I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can work
    > > wirelesly at home.
    > >
    > > My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router.
    > >
    > > When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there seems
    > > be a default wireless network "Intel(R) PRO/wireless" consisting of about
    > > 8
    > > separate bits. I found his by going to "Network Connections" from control
    > > panel, then right clicking on "wireless network".
    > >
    > > Problem is this : my internet comes from a local phone company and their
    > > help guys recommend I use their wireless network, so I tried to uninstall
    > > the
    > > Intel network, but cannot!
    > >
    > > I do want to use my phone company's wireless network, so what should I do?
    > > How do I uninstall the Intel wireles network, and is it advisable to do so
    > > ?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > --
    > > Vanewbie

  5. Re: home wireless network

    It sounds like you have either the Intel Pro Wireless Software running or
    Fujitu version of it running. You'll need to use it to configure your
    wireless, or disable it, and use the windows version. My notebook a
    non-Fujitu uses software call access connections to configure the wireless
    connection.

    --

    "vanewbie" wrote in message
    > Thanks very much guys.
    >
    > I have tried going to my wireless network through control panel then
    > clicked
    > "show available wireless networks" but I get "windows cannot configure -
    > if
    > you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection, use
    > that
    > software"
    >
    > So I think I made the mistake of going half-way down the MS/Intel road,
    > but
    > then trying my local phone provider, so now I am stuck at the fork in the
    > road and don't know how to get back!
    >
    > So please give me a trail of breadcrumbs to follow back to where I
    > started,
    > then I shall try using the Intel program with my phone company router.
    >
    > Thanks again!--
    > Vanewbie
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> The "Intel Network" is the installation of your Laptops Wireless Card.
    >>
    >> Since Internet Provider gave you a Wireless Router, you need the Intel
    >> Card
    >> in the Laptop in order to connect to the 2wire Wireless Router.
    >>
    >> Read the 2wire instructions it should tell you how to create a wireless
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> Here you can find a forum dedicated to 2wire hardware,
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "vanewbie" wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can
    >> >work
    >> > wirelesly at home.
    >> >
    >> > My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router.
    >> >
    >> > When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there
    >> > seems
    >> > be a default wireless network "Intel(R) PRO/wireless" consisting of
    >> > about
    >> > 8
    >> > separate bits. I found his by going to "Network Connections" from
    >> > control
    >> > panel, then right clicking on "wireless network".
    >> >
    >> > Problem is this : my internet comes from a local phone company and
    >> > their
    >> > help guys recommend I use their wireless network, so I tried to
    >> > uninstall
    >> > the
    >> > Intel network, but cannot!
    >> >
    >> > I do want to use my phone company's wireless network, so what should I
    >> > do?
    >> > How do I uninstall the Intel wireles network, and is it advisable to do
    >> > so
    >> > ?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > --
    >> > Vanewbie

  6. Re: home wireless network

    vanewbie wrote:
    > Thanks very much guys.
    >
    > I have tried going to my wireless network through control panel then clicked
    > "show available wireless networks" but I get "windows cannot configure - if
    > you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection, use that
    > software"
    >
    > So I think I made the mistake of going half-way down the MS/Intel road, but
    > then trying my local phone provider, so now I am stuck at the fork in the
    > road and don't know how to get back!
    >
    > So please give me a trail of breadcrumbs to follow back to where I started,
    > then I shall try using the Intel program with my phone company router.
    >
    > Thanks again!--
    > Vanewbie
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>The "Intel Network" is the installation of your Laptops Wireless Card.
    >>
    >>Since Internet Provider gave you a Wireless Router, you need the Intel Card
    >>in the Laptop in order to connect to the 2wire Wireless Router.
    >>
    >>Read the 2wire instructions it should tell you how to create a wireless
    >>connection.
    >>
    >>Here you can find a forum dedicated to 2wire hardware,
    >>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire
    >>
    >>Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >>"vanewbie" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can work
    >>>wirelesly at home.
    >>>
    >>>My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router.
    >>>
    >>>When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there seems
    >>>be a default wireless network "Intel(R) PRO/wireless" consisting of about
    >>>8
    >>>separate bits. I found his by going to "Network Connections" from control
    >>>panel, then right clicking on "wireless network".
    >>>
    >>>Problem is this : my internet comes from a local phone company and their
    >>>help guys recommend I use their wireless network, so I tried to uninstall
    >>>the
    >>>Intel network, but cannot!
    >>>
    >>>I do want to use my phone company's wireless network, so what should I do?
    >>>How do I uninstall the Intel wireles network, and is it advisable to do so
    >>>?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>--
    >>>Vanewbie

    Your description of an "Intel network," a "phone company's wireless
    network," and the "MS/Intel road" are very confusing.

    What Jack and David have assumed -- and it seems likely to me, too -- is
    that you have two different software utilities configuring the Intel
    wireless hardware that is installed in your notebook. One of these
    software utilities comes from Intel, and is called "Intel
    PROSet/Wireless Software." The other one comes from Microsoft, built
    into Windows XP, and is called "Windows Wireless Zero Configuration" or WZC.

    In Intel's words:
    "The IntelĀ® PROSet/Wireless Software v10.5 works in conjunction with
    IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless Network Connection hardware to connect your notebook
    or desktop computer to a wireless LAN."

    WZC _also_ works with the _same_ hardware to accomplish the _same_ result.

    You often see problems if both software utilities are running at the
    same time. See Jack's site, http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html, for how to
    deal with this problem.

    Once you get your notebook using a single wireless configuration
    utility, you can configure your connection to connect to your 2Wire
    router, which is what I assume you mean by your "phone company's
    wireless network."

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  7. Re: home wireless network

    "vanewbie" wrote in message
    > Thanks very much guys.
    >
    > I have tried going to my wireless network through control panel then
    > clicked
    > "show available wireless networks" but I get "windows cannot configure -
    > if
    > you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection, use
    > that
    > software"
    >
    > So I think I made the mistake of going half-way down the MS/Intel road,
    > but
    > then trying my local phone provider, so now I am stuck at the fork in the
    > road and don't know how to get back!
    >
    > So please give me a trail of breadcrumbs to follow back to where I
    > started,
    > then I shall try using the Intel program with my phone company router.
    >
    > Thanks again!--
    > Vanewbie
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> The "Intel Network" is the installation of your Laptops Wireless Card.
    >>
    >> Since Internet Provider gave you a Wireless Router, you need the Intel
    >> Card
    >> in the Laptop in order to connect to the 2wire Wireless Router.
    >>
    >> Read the 2wire instructions it should tell you how to create a wireless
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> Here you can find a forum dedicated to 2wire hardware,
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "vanewbie" wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to set up my laptop (Fujitu S Sereies Lifebook) so I can
    >> >work
    >> > wirelesly at home.
    >> >
    >> > My highspeed internet comes through a 2WIRE 2700 HG-E router.
    >> >
    >> > When following Windows "set-up wireless network" I noticed there
    >> > seems
    >> > be a default wireless network "Intel(R) PRO/wireless" consisting of
    >> > about
    >> > 8
    >> > separate bits. I found his by going to "Network Connections" from
    >> > control
    >> > panel, then right clicking on "wireless network".
    >> >
    >> > Problem is this : my internet comes from a local phone company and
    >> > their
    >> > help guys recommend I use their wireless network, so I tried to
    >> > uninstall
    >> > the
    >> > Intel network, but cannot!
    >> >
    >> > I do want to use my phone company's wireless network, so what should I
    >> > do?
    >> > How do I uninstall the Intel wireles network, and is it advisable to do
    >> > so
    >> > ?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > --
    >> > Vanewbie

    The fine manual for your Intel Wireless card tells how to change from WZC to
    Intel and back again.

    In particular, the section entitled "Making a Basic Network in Windows XP:
    Intel (R) PRO/Wireless Network Connection User's Guide" gives (among other
    instructions) these steps for setting up a Wireless card to connect to a
    network:

    "1. From your Windows desktop, right-click My Computer and select
    Properties
    2. From the Hardwae tab, click Device Manager
    3. Double-click Network adapters

    If a supported wireless card is installed, you will see either INTEL(R)
    PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection or
    INTEL(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection. If the network card is
    not installed this name will not be displayed"

    If you have the types above, then the Network setup panel will be displayed.
    You should check the box labeled Use Windows to configure my Wireless
    Configuration.

    XP will proceed to the Wireless Zero Configuration panels.

    If you have other types of Intel cards, you should consult the fine manuals
    which apply to them.
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread