The "No WPA on my XP" saga rumbles on... - Wireless

This is a discussion on The "No WPA on my XP" saga rumbles on... - Wireless ; I have read many emails in the group about XP's Zero Config not displaying WPA and WPA-PSK options. The consensus seems to be that it is the router/AP/wifi-card's inability to process it that convinces XP not to show the options. ...

  1. The "No WPA on my XP" saga rumbles on...

    I have read many emails in the group about XP's Zero Config not
    displaying WPA and WPA-PSK options. The consensus seems to be that it
    is the router/AP/wifi-card's inability to process it that convinces XP
    not to show the options. Too old/cheap to do it or something.

    I have three machines that fail to show WPA: one is an old Toshiba1600
    (likeley) but the others are a late 2005 AMD x64 and fresh new 2007
    vintage P965 and Broadcom-based mobo!

    All are uptodate. What might be missing or undone that could sort this
    out, please?

    TIA
    Hilarious

  2. RE: The "No WPA on my XP" saga rumbles on...

    In this case, old can be WinXP.
    Should be SP2 + latest WZC updates.

    --PA

    "Hilarious" wrote:
    > I have read many emails in the group about XP's Zero Config not
    > displaying WPA and WPA-PSK options. The consensus seems to be that it
    > is the router/AP/wifi-card's inability to process it that convinces XP
    > not to show the options. Too old/cheap to do it or something.
    >
    > I have three machines that fail to show WPA: one is an old Toshiba1600
    > (likeley) but the others are a late 2005 AMD x64 and fresh new 2007
    > vintage P965 and Broadcom-based mobo!
    >
    > All are uptodate. What might be missing or undone that could sort this
    > out, please?
    >
    > TIA
    > Hilarious

  3. Re: The "No WPA on my XP" saga rumbles on...

    Hi
    To show WPA correctly you need Wireless card drivers that are capable to do
    WPA.
    Update drivers does not mean that they are capable. Many old Wireless Card
    can not be updated to WPA by Drivers since the chipset does not support the
    mode.
    In addition, if the Card support the Mode, the Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router/Access Point have to support it too.
    From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC Filter
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless Devices are capable to do WPA2, but one
    device is only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to
    WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Hilarious" wrote in message
    news:1169596078.392453.312250@m58g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have read many emails in the group about XP's Zero Config not
    > displaying WPA and WPA-PSK options. The consensus seems to be that it
    > is the router/AP/wifi-card's inability to process it that convinces XP
    > not to show the options. Too old/cheap to do it or something.
    >
    > I have three machines that fail to show WPA: one is an old Toshiba1600
    > (likeley) but the others are a late 2005 AMD x64 and fresh new 2007
    > vintage P965 and Broadcom-based mobo!
    >
    > All are uptodate. What might be missing or undone that could sort this
    > out, please?
    >
    > TIA
    > Hilarious

+ Reply to Thread