Re: Wireless network device driver problems - Wireless

This is a discussion on Re: Wireless network device driver problems - Wireless ; Hi From the way your report is phrased, it seems that you are running the SMC Wireless utility, and Widows Zero Configuration (WZC) at the same time. I.e. two independent applications trying to control the Wireless. You should use only ...

  1. Re: Wireless network device driver problems

    Hi

    From the way your report is phrased, it seems that you are running the SMC
    Wireless utility, and Widows Zero Configuration (WZC) at the same time.
    I.e. two independent applications trying to control the Wireless. You
    should use only one of them. If you choose to use WZC, uninstall the SMC
    Utility. If you choose to use the SMC Utility, disable the WZC Service.

    I am not familiar with the SMC 2602W 802.11b, but being a 801.11b card puts
    it in the "Old" category. Be aware that some of the old wireless cards
    drivers are not fully compatible with Win XP SP2. Unless the Card's Brand
    issued an upgrade, you might be forced to use the original Utility.

    This page has info about switching ON/Off WZC, http://www.ezlan.net.wzc.html

    In general, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Chrisk" wrote in message

    > In the last few days my PC has developed a rather curious problem. The
    > first
    > time I log in each day the wireless network connection fails, usually when
    > open IE7 for the first time. MSN messenger works fine, I can send &
    > receive
    > mail using Outlook 2003, but opening IE7 will cause the connection to
    > drop.
    >
    > When this occurs, the LAN utility supplied with the wireless network card
    > (SMC 2602W 802.11b) reports the state as "Unable to communicate with
    > device
    > driver".
    > The Network connections section of Windows reports the connection as OK,
    > unless you run the troubleshooter, which then reports a problem with the
    > card. The device manager reports the card as working OK, with no
    > conflicts.
    >
    > The strange thing is, if you then reboot the PC, it will work fine
    > indefinitely, without any further problem. The issue occurs once, and once
    > only, the first time the PC is used each day.
    >
    > I'm running XP home SP2, IE7 with all latest patches, an SMC EZ 2602W WLAN
    > card, Office 2003, with Windows firewall enabled and CA security centre
    > aniti
    > virus and spyware monitor. The PC has run with this configuration/IE6 for
    > years, and has run IE7 without problems for a number of weeks. Another PC
    > on
    > the LAN has a similar setup, but does not show this problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > --
    > Chrisk

  2. Re: Wireless network device driver problems

    Actually it's this page that has info on switching WZC on and off
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.