Remote Desktop login lose connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Remote Desktop login lose connection - Wireless ; I have a notebook with windows media center on it. It's hooked up to my local wireless network. I used to be able to remote desktop into it, but at some point it stopped working. I investigated and discovered that ...

  1. Remote Desktop login lose connection

    I have a notebook with windows media center on it. It's hooked up to my
    local wireless network. I used to be able to remote desktop into it,
    but at some point it stopped working. I investigated and discovered
    that as soon as the login process starts (i.e., notebook screen goes
    back to welcome screen), the notebook looses it's network connectivity.

    I tested this by pinging the notebook's IP during the login process.
    Once this happens, RDT just hangs until it times out. I also tried to
    do a "switch user" directly on the notebook to get it to go to the
    welcome screen, but when I do that, the connectivity stays.

    In the case then I try to use RDT and I lose the connection, when I
    re-login at the notebook, I can see the wireless connecting and
    obtaining an IP. It's very strange.

    Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? Is this a wireless router
    issue? I have a Microsoft MN-700 with the latest firmware.

  2. Re: Remote Desktop login lose connection

    "demi" wrote in message
    news:1169478709.554774.317230@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a notebook with windows media center on it. It's hooked up to my
    > local wireless network. I used to be able to remote desktop into it,
    > but at some point it stopped working. I investigated and discovered
    > that as soon as the login process starts (i.e., notebook screen goes
    > back to welcome screen), the notebook looses it's network connectivity.
    >

    > I tested this by pinging the notebook's IP during the login process.
    > Once this happens, RDT just hangs until it times out. I also tried to
    > do a "switch user" directly on the notebook to get it to go to the
    > welcome screen, but when I do that, the connectivity stays.
    >
    > In the case then I try to use RDT and I lose the connection, when I
    > re-login at the notebook, I can see the wireless connecting and
    > obtaining an IP. It's very strange.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? Is this a wireless router
    > issue? I have a Microsoft MN-700 with the latest firmware.

    One way to test is to hardwire the notebook to the router or a switch and
    try again.

    You also might check the event logs on the notebook to see if there are any
    clues...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  3. Re: Remote Desktop login lose connection

    Hi

    Looks to me more of a RDT problem rather than Wireless connection problem.

    Disable RDT first and see if you get a normal Wireless connection.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "demi" wrote in message
    news:1169478709.554774.317230@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a notebook with windows media center on it. It's hooked up to my
    > local wireless network. I used to be able to remote desktop into it,
    > but at some point it stopped working. I investigated and discovered
    > that as soon as the login process starts (i.e., notebook screen goes
    > back to welcome screen), the notebook looses it's network connectivity.
    >

    > I tested this by pinging the notebook's IP during the login process.
    > Once this happens, RDT just hangs until it times out. I also tried to
    > do a "switch user" directly on the notebook to get it to go to the
    > welcome screen, but when I do that, the connectivity stays.
    >
    > In the case then I try to use RDT and I lose the connection, when I
    > re-login at the notebook, I can see the wireless connecting and
    > obtaining an IP. It's very strange.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? Is this a wireless router
    > issue? I have a Microsoft MN-700 with the latest firmware.

+ Reply to Thread