"unsecured" - Wireless

This is a discussion on "unsecured" - Wireless ; What does "unsecured" mean in XP's list of "Wireless Network Connections" How do I make mine "Security Enabled" like the others in the list. Why is it needed if I already have McAfee/firewall etc. ?...

  1. "unsecured"

    What does "unsecured" mean in XP's list of "Wireless Network Connections" How
    do I make mine "Security Enabled" like the others in the list. Why is it
    needed if I already have McAfee/firewall etc. ?

  2. Re: "unsecured"

    Hello msjimb,

    A firewall will help protect your computer on a wireless network but not
    restrict it from the network itself. You should configure your wireless
    network to use the highest level encryption that your network equipment can
    support.

    --
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

    "msjimb" wrote in message
    > What does "unsecured" mean in XP's list of "Wireless Network Connections"
    > How
    > do I make mine "Security Enabled" like the others in the list. Why is it
    > needed if I already have McAfee/firewall etc. ?

  3. Re: "unsecured"

    Hi

    Unsecured Wireless Network, means that the traffic between the Wireless
    Computer and the Wireless Router/Access Point is not encrypt and any one can
    join the connection (a Very Bad Idea).

    Read the content of the following pages it would help you to make decision
    and configure your system.

    I have a Good Firewall does it secure my Wireless? -
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#secure

    From the weakest to the Strongest..

    No Security

    MAC

    WEP

    WPA-PSK

    WPA-AES

    WPA2

    Configure Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.

    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
    only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "msjimb" wrote in message
    > What does "unsecured" mean in XP's list of "Wireless Network Connections"
    > How
    > do I make mine "Security Enabled" like the others in the list. Why is it
    > needed if I already have McAfee/firewall etc. ?

  4. Re: "unsecured"

    Most WEP Encryption is not that strong and easily cracked. The best way
    to share sensitive information across your network would be to use
    software like OnShare (http://www.onshare.com) ... 4096bit encryption
    should do the trick .. and it's really easy to install.

    nass wrote:
    > "msjimb" wrote:
    >
    > > What does "unsecured" mean in XP's list of "Wireless Network Connections" How
    > > do I make mine "Security Enabled" like the others in the list. Why is it
    > > needed if I already have McAfee/firewall etc. ?

    > Unsecured mean anybody can have access to it, if you have Wireless
    > connection and I'm passing by with my Laptop and Strong Antenna I can
    > connect to your network and use to do what ever bad I want to do with your
    > name on it!.
    > Also if you have Important data sharing or setting ducks on the network I
    > can help myself and know all about your ID and can you use for fraud?.
    > To secure your connection you need to set Encryption key like (WEP, WPA) on
    > regular Router and wireless devices.
    >
    > Setting up WPA security (Video) :
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895616
    >
    > Settings WPA on home user PC by Barb Bowman:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx
    >
    > Using wireless Connection on Laptop for working from home by Charlie Russel:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...letlaptop.mspx
    > Macfee Suite just to protect your applications and Activities on your
    > computer it doesn't have control on the Router, the router stand by itself as
    > another Device.
    > Which you see is your neighbors wireless network, you can see some with
    > security Key (encryption to authenticate) and other open without security Ky
    > like your's now, if any of your neighbors have wireless and in reach of your
    > wireless network can access it and access your files and folders, but don't
    > try to do that to them (that was just explanation they may not try to access
    > your connection).
    > Just secure your connection and even you can see your connection and you can
    > see their connection if you don't have the Key you can't access that
    > connection or using it.
    > HTH.
    > Regards,
    > nass