How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance? - Wireless ; How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance? To increase modem performance and for networking tips see at http://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html or http://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm thanx...

  1. How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?
    To increase modem performance and for networking tips see at
    http://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html
    or
    http://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm

    thanx

  2. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    On 21 Jan 2007 01:41:05 -0800, "Networking News"
    wrote:

    >How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    Absolutely USELESS for cable modems.

    This sig censored by the Office of Home, Land & Planet Insecurity...

    Remove XYZ to email me

  3. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    Deos anyone here even use a dial up modem anymore??

    gb

    "There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government
    has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't
    enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a
    crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws."

    -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

    The Kat wrote:
    > On 21 Jan 2007 01:41:05 -0800, "Networking News"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    > Absolutely USELESS for cable modems.

  4. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    gray-beard wrote:

    > Deos anyone here even use a dial up modem anymore??
    >
    > gb

    I have a modem on one old computer that I use to send faxes. I don't
    think I could ever go back to a dialup ISP.

  5. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    Hi
    If the TCP/IP Stack is optimized according to the type of connection
    (http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html ) it is very rare that any of the
    "Snake Oils" settings that proliferate around really help.
    Most troubles concerning slow or noisy connection are a result of bad lines
    and other issues that are external to the computer, and No software trick in
    the world can correct it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Networking News" wrote in message
    news:1169372465.594781.91630@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    > How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?
    > To increase modem performance and for networking tips see at
    > http://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html
    > or
    > http://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm
    >
    > thanx

  6. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    What the hell is a MODEM?

    "Networking News" wrote in message
    news:1169372465.594781.91630@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    > How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?
    > To increase modem performance and for networking tips see at
    > http://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html
    > or
    > http://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm
    >
    > thanx

  7. Re: Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:31:49 -0700, "Fat Bastard"
    wrote:

    >What the hell is a MODEM?

    A device which Modulates and De-Modulates audio signals over a
    telephone line, so they can be digitally understood by a computer.

    DSL and Cable 'Modems' are actually nothing of the sort. It's just a
    term that lives on after telephone devices were widely used to access
    the Internet.

    Nowadays, any device that connects your computer to the outside world
    is generally referred to as a 'Modem'.

    A_C

  8. Re: Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    It was a joke. Thus the little winky-smiley at the end of my question.

    I was being facetious because we're in the digital age now, and it seems
    strange that anyone would actually use an old "modem" and phone line these
    days.

    "Agent_C" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:31:49 -0700, "Fat Bastard"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What the hell is a MODEM?

    > A device which Modulates and De-Modulates audio signals over a
    > telephone line, so they can be digitally understood by a computer.
    >
    > DSL and Cable 'Modems' are actually nothing of the sort. It's just a
    > term that lives on after telephone devices were widely used to access
    > the Internet.
    >
    > Nowadays, any device that connects your computer to the outside world
    > is generally referred to as a 'Modem'.
    >
    > A_C

  9. Re: Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    Agent_C wrote:
    > "Fat Bastard" wrote:
    >
    >>What the hell is a MODEM?

    > A device which Modulates and De-Modulates audio signals over a
    > telephone line, so they can be digitally understood by a computer.
    >
    > DSL and Cable 'Modems' are actually nothing of the sort.

    Yes they are.

    Voiceband modems are not the only kind of modems by far.
    Modulation/demodulation happens in many other formats as well.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

    --
    Warren H.

    ==========
    to go outside now.

    Get Windows Vista:
    http://www.holzemville.com/mall/vista

  10. Re: Re: Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:32:22 -0800, "Warren"
    wrote:

    >Yes they are.
    >
    >Voiceband modems are not the only kind of modems by far.
    >Modulation/demodulation happens in many other formats as well.
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

    It's still a technically improper use of the word. It's also hard to
    take a technical article seriously that opens with the word 'Anus'.

    Wikipedia is quickly becoming a big joke.

    A_C

  11. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    > I was being facetious because we're in the digital age now, and it seems
    > strange that anyone would actually use an old "modem" and phone line these
    > days.

    There is very very very little digital signaling outside of your
    computer. Most all of it is modulated into an analog signal.

    The digital parts of the digital age are in the termination points, and
    the way it's encoded into an analog signal for transport.

  12. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    gray-beard wrote:
    > Deos anyone here even use a dial up modem anymore??

    Very many folks. But they don't hang out here as they don't have the
    bandwidth.

  13. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    DLR wrote:

    > gray-beard wrote:
    >
    >> Deos anyone here even use a dial up modem anymore??
    >>

    > Very many folks. But they don't hang out here as they don't have the
    > bandwidth.

    What???

    John

  14. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    Modems are a thing of the past, monkey! Pretty soon, they'll be recycled
    and use as nose pickers!

    "Networking News" wrote in message
    news:1169372465.594781.91630@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    > How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?
    > To increase modem performance and for networking tips see at
    > http://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html
    > or
    > http://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm
    >
    > thanx

  15. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    "RODENT" wrote in message
    > Modems are a thing of the past, monkey! Pretty soon, they'll be
    > recycled and use as nose pickers!

    But that will put your mother out of a job.

    > "Networking News" wrote in message
    > news:1169372465.594781.91630@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    >> How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?
    >> To increase modem performance and for networking tips see at
    >> http://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html
    >> or
    >> http://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm
    >>
    >> thanx

  16. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    Its a Dinosaur from the analog era.

    "Fat Bastard" wrote in message
    > What the hell is a MODEM?
    >

    > "Networking News" wrote in message
    > news:1169372465.594781.91630@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    >> How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?
    >> To increase modem performance and for networking tips see at
    >> http://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html
    >> or
    >> http://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm
    >>
    >> thanx

  17. Re: How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?

    Try third-party speeder tool:
    http://www.download.com/Speed-Gear/3...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    It is realy helpfull when you go from site to the other and it opens
    the web very fast realy.

    On Jan 21, 3:41 am, "Networking News" wrote:
    > How to Increase and show actual Modem Performance?
    > To increase modem performance and for networking tips see athttp://www.studyandjobs.com/network_tip.html
    > orhttp://www.studyandjobs.com/IT_study.htm
    >
    > thanx

+ Reply to Thread