I'm experiancing the same symptom (I'm also in an academic setting) Server
2003 network with 802.11g Linksys WAP's.

Users can make an initial log in only if there is an Ethernet connection.
They then configure the wireless, and then log in wireless after that. My
assumption was that the wireless in the laptop wasn't coming on until a user
was logged in, and I needed to make it be a service somehow. You're
suggesting we just need to wait.

But how does the wireless know the WEP key prior to a user logging on and
configuring? I suspect I need to do something in my setup of the
laptop.......but I'm not sure what.