Sharing Internet - Wireless

This is a discussion on Sharing Internet - Wireless ; Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access with my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on my desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook and Sony ...

  1. Sharing Internet

    Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access with
    my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on my
    desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook and
    Sony Vaio (Windows XP MCE) laptops and we just want to be able to share our
    existing internet access. I am completely ignorant on the subject of
    internet sharing and home networking (are these two synonomous?) and do not
    know where to even begin. I have read that I'll need a router, but are there
    any other accessories required?

    Any help greatly appreciated.

  2. RE: Sharing Internet

    "Patricia" wrote:

    > Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access with
    > my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on my
    > desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook and
    > Sony Vaio (Windows XP MCE) laptops and we just want to be able to share our
    > existing internet access. I am completely ignorant on the subject of
    > internet sharing and home networking (are these two synonomous?) and do not
    > know where to even begin. I have read that I'll need a router, but are there
    > any other accessories required?
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.

    Hi Patricia,
    You need to buy a Router and Wireless adapters to be able to give access to
    all computers to share the Internet, but really not sharing but every body be
    able to access the Internet whenever they want.
    Read this article on how to setup a wireless network:
    Here are the steps to set the security on Linksys:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
    Check the New Laptop if they have Wireless capabilities on them installed as
    most all modern Laptops comes these days equipped with wireless access.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    nass
    -------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

  3. Re: Sharing Internet

    Hi

    The short version.

    You need to purchase a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.

    The Device connects to the broadband Modem and serve as Router to split the
    Internet among wire and wireless computers.

    Example to such a device,

    The whole system would look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    You can find here a lot of info involving such installation,
    http://www.ezlan.net

    The long version.

    The content of the following links can serve as a basic tutorial concerning
    Sharing Internet, and using Wireless.

    The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices,
    and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are
    still the same.

    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122

    The whole thing should like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    Wireless hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Wireless, Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    When all the computers can access the Internet (whether Wire, or Wireless),
    you can set the Sharing on each computer, and enjoy the LAN as well.

    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    to be shared.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Patricia" wrote in message
    > Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access
    > with
    > my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on
    > my
    > desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook
    > and
    > Sony Vaio (Windows XP MCE) laptops and we just want to be able to share
    > our
    > existing internet access. I am completely ignorant on the subject of
    > internet sharing and home networking (are these two synonomous?) and do
    > not
    > know where to even begin. I have read that I'll need a router, but are
    > there
    > any other accessories required?
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: Sharing Internet

    Thanks for the prompt replies, nass and Jack. I connected my router and the
    Mac detected my network and is working just fine. The Sony Vaio also detects
    my network- however, I cannot connect to the internet. I don't know what
    other configurations I need to make so that this machine will work. Any
    suggestions? Thanks again.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > The short version.
    >
    > You need to purchase a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.
    >
    > The Device connects to the broadband Modem and serve as Router to split the
    > Internet among wire and wireless computers.
    >
    > Example to such a device,
    >
    > The whole system would look like this,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    >
    > You can find here a lot of info involving such installation,
    > http://www.ezlan.net
    >

    > The long version.
    >
    > The content of the following links can serve as a basic tutorial concerning
    > Sharing Internet, and using Wireless.
    >
    > The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices,
    > and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are
    > still the same.
    >
    > Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    > http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=105
    >
    > Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    > http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=48
    >
    > Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
    >
    > The whole thing should like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    >
    > Wireless hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    >
    > Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >
    > Wireless, Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >
    > When all the computers can access the Internet (whether Wire, or Wireless),
    > you can set the Sharing on each computer, and enjoy the LAN as well.

    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >
    > As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed
    > to be shared.

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Patricia" wrote in message
    > > Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access
    > > with
    > > my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on
    > > my
    > > desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook
    > > and
    > > Sony Vaio (Windows XP MCE) laptops and we just want to be able to share
    > > our
    > > existing internet access. I am completely ignorant on the subject of
    > > internet sharing and home networking (are these two synonomous?) and do
    > > not
    > > know where to even begin. I have read that I'll need a router, but are
    > > there
    > > any other accessories required?
    > >
    > > Any help greatly appreciated.

  5. Re: Sharing Internet

    I finally figured out that it was the Norton Internet Security firewall
    preventing me from accessing the internet. Both laptops are working great.
    Thanks for the help.

    "nass" wrote:

> [...]
    > services.msc click [OK], on the services be sure that Windows Wireless Zero
    > Configuration is Turned to Automatic, it is at the Bottom usually in
    > alphabetical order, close the Services window.
    > Open the Run command again and type in : ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
    > Then type in : ipconfig /release and Reboot your Laptop and see if you
    > will have access to the Internet ( be sure you have the Router Firewall On or
    > the Windows Firewall ON at Least).
    > If the above didn't help write back with router make and your settings of
    > the Network.
    > HTH.
    > Let us know.
    > Regards,
    > nass
    > -------
    > www.nasstec.co.uk
    >
    > "Patricia" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the prompt replies, nass and Jack. I connected my router and the
    > > Mac detected my network and is working just fine. The Sony Vaio also detects
    > > my network- however, I cannot connect to the internet. I don't know what
    > > other configurations I need to make so that this machine will work. Any
    > > suggestions? Thanks again.
    > >
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > The short version.
    > > >
    > > > You need to purchase a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.
    > > >
    > > > The Device connects to the broadband Modem and serve as Router to split the
    > > > Internet among wire and wireless computers.
    > > >
    > > > Example to such a device,
    > > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162173
    > > >
    > > > The whole system would look like this,
    > > > http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > > >
    > > > You can find here a lot of info involving such installation,
    > > > http://www.ezlan.net
    > > >

    > > > The long version.
    > > >
    > > > The content of the following links can serve as a basic tutorial concerning
    > > > Sharing Internet, and using Wireless.
    > > >
    > > > The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices,
    > > > and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are
    > > > still the same.
    > > >
    > > > Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    > > > http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=105
    > > >
    > > > Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    > > > http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=48
    > > >
    > > > Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
    > > >
    > > > The whole thing should like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > > >
    > > > Wireless hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    > > >
    > > > Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > > >
    > > > Wireless, Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > > >
    > > > When all the computers can access the Internet (whether Wire, or Wireless),
    > > > you can set the Sharing on each computer, and enjoy the LAN as well.
    > > >
    > > > Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings,
    > > > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > > >
    > > > As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed

  6. Re: Sharing Internet

    Glad all sorted and you found the culprit, thanks for letting us know and
    good luck.
    Regards,
    nass

    "Patricia" wrote:

    > I finally figured out that it was the Norton Internet Security firewall
    > preventing me from accessing the internet. Both laptops are working great.
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > "nass" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Patricia,
    > > Try to Open the Router web Page by typing the IP address if linksys it will
    > > be 192.168.1.1 if it Belkin it will be 192.168.2.1 and Hit Enter and Enter
    > > and Password if any or leave Blank some use by default admin.
    > > Be sure the Wireless is Enabled by clicking on Wireless on the Router web
    > > Page and the wireless Option is selected to be ON and you Broadcasting the
    > > SSID of the Wireless Network, say use the SSID as PatNetHome for ex. then you
    > > will need to set the Encryption Option to WPA-PSK and Enter a strong Phrase
    > > and be sure the Option to encrypt at the bottom is selected (it is a check
    > > box [ ] ).
    > > After doing your changes on the Router Apply and Exit, then go to the Laptop
    > > and be sure the Wireless Switch is Turned ON on the Side of your Sony Vaio
    > > Notebook.
    > > Then Click Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections, on the Wireless
    > > Right Click and select properties.
    > > On the Wireless Properties Window check the Option for Windows To configure
    > > the Wireless connection for you, click on Wireless Network there you can
    > > Select WPA-PSK and enter the Encryption KEY you typed on the Router Web page.
    > > Also Click the TCP/IP and click Properties and be sure your Laptop
    > > getting/Assigned Automatic IP Address and DNS.
    > > Close the Wireless network Window and Open the Run command and type in:
    > > services.msc click [OK], on the services be sure that Windows Wireless Zero
    > > Configuration is Turned to Automatic, it is at the Bottom usually in
    > > alphabetical order, close the Services window.
    > > Open the Run command again and type in : ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
    > > Then type in : ipconfig /release and Reboot your Laptop and see if you
    > > will have access to the Internet ( be sure you have the Router Firewall On or
    > > the Windows Firewall ON at Least).
    > > If the above didn't help write back with router make and your settings of
    > > the Network.
    > > HTH.
    > > Let us know.
    > > Regards,
    > > nass
    > > -------
    > > www.nasstec.co.uk
    > >
    > > "Patricia" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks for the prompt replies, nass and Jack. I connected my router and the
    > > > Mac detected my network and is working just fine. The Sony Vaio also detects
    > > > my network- however, I cannot connect to the internet. I don't know what
    > > > other configurations I need to make so that this machine will work. Any
    > > > suggestions? Thanks again.

  7. Re: Sharing Internet

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "nass" wrote:

    > Glad all sorted and you found the culprit, thanks for letting us know and
    > good luck.
    > Regards,
    > nass
    >
    > "Patricia" wrote:
    >
    > > I finally figured out that it was the Norton Internet Security firewall
    > > preventing me from accessing the internet. Both laptops are working great.
    > > Thanks for the help.
    > >
    > > "nass" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Patricia,
    > > > Try to Open the Router web Page by typing the IP address if linksys it will
    > > > be 192.168.1.1 if it Belkin it will be 192.168.2.1 and Hit Enter and Enter
    > > > and Password if any or leave Blank some use by default admin.
    > > > Be sure the Wireless is Enabled by clicking on Wireless on the Router web
    > > > Page and the wireless Option is selected to be ON and you Broadcasting the
    > > > SSID of the Wireless Network, say use the SSID as PatNetHome for ex. then you
    > > > will need to set the Encryption Option to WPA-PSK and Enter a strong Phrase
    > > > and be sure the Option to encrypt at the bottom is selected (it is a check
    > > > box [ ] ).
    > > > After doing your changes on the Router Apply and Exit, then go to the Laptop
    > > > and be sure the Wireless Switch is Turned ON on the Side of your Sony Vaio
    > > > Notebook.
    > > > Then Click Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections, on the Wireless
    > > > Right Click and select properties.
    > > > On the Wireless Properties Window check the Option for Windows To configure
    > > > the Wireless connection for you, click on Wireless Network there you can
    > > > Select WPA-PSK and enter the Encryption KEY you typed on the Router Web page.
    > > > Also Click the TCP/IP and click Properties and be sure your Laptop
    > > > getting/Assigned Automatic IP Address and DNS.
    > > > Close the Wireless network Window and Open the Run command and type in:
    > > > services.msc click [OK], on the services be sure that Windows Wireless Zero
    > > > Configuration is Turned to Automatic, it is at the Bottom usually in
    > > > alphabetical order, close the Services window.
    > > > Open the Run command again and type in : ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
    > > > Then type in : ipconfig /release and Reboot your Laptop and see if you
    > > > will have access to the Internet ( be sure you have the Router Firewall On or
    > > > the Windows Firewall ON at Least).
    > > > If the above didn't help write back with router make and your settings of
    > > > the Network.
    > > > HTH.
    > > > Let us know.
    > > > Regards,
    > > > nass
    > > > -------
    > > > www.nasstec.co.uk

  8. RE: Sharing Internet

    "Patricia" wrote:

    > Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access with
    > my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on my
    > desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook and
    > Sony Vaio (Windows XP MCE) laptops and we just want to be able to share our
    > existing internet access. I am completely ignorant on the subject of
    > internet sharing and home networking (are these two synonomous?) and do not
    > know where to even begin. I have read that I'll need a router, but are there
    > any other accessories required?
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread