printer 'dropped off' n/w - Wireless

This is a discussion on printer 'dropped off' n/w - Wireless ; Folk: If I'm not in the right place, plz direct me to the proper ng. Running XP, all service packs. ISP is hardwired to desktop, and laptop is on wireless network; printer is USBed into desktop; printer sharing is enabled. ...

  1. printer 'dropped off' n/w

    Folk:

    If I'm not in the right place, plz direct me to the proper ng.

    Running XP, all service packs. ISP is hardwired to desktop, and laptop is
    on wireless network; printer is USBed into desktop; printer sharing is
    enabled. Have been using this configuration for 4 years, no problem. Now,
    laptop cannot print to the printer. Called ISP: they can't help, b/c they
    can't see the printer on the network at all; when I go into the add printer
    routines on the laptop, the network shows up, with all live 'puters, but no
    printer underneath the desktop in the 'description.'

    What is my course of action?

    Regards and Happy Trails,

    Scott Needham
    Boulder, Colorado, USA

  2. Re: printer 'dropped off' n/w

    In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
    \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "S. Needham" wrote in message
    > Folk:
    >
    > If I'm not in the right place, plz direct me to the proper ng.
    >
    > Running XP, all service packs. ISP is hardwired to desktop, and laptop is
    > on wireless network; printer is USBed into desktop; printer sharing is
    > enabled. Have been using this configuration for 4 years, no problem.
    > Now, laptop cannot print to the printer. Called ISP: they can't help, b/c
    > they can't see the printer on the network at all; when I go into the add
    > printer routines on the laptop, the network shows up, with all live
    > 'puters, but no printer underneath the desktop in the 'description.'
    >
    > What is my course of action?
    >
    > Regards and Happy Trails,
    >
    > Scott Needham
    > Boulder, Colorado, USA

  3. Re: printer 'dropped off' n/w

    OK, now I'm not sure what cmd was s'posed to run on the laptop. When I
    tried net view \\desktopipaddress (was I s'posed to?), it came back "system
    error 53, network path not found."

    --

    SN

    Regards and Happy Trails,

    Scott Needham
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    > In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
    > \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "S. Needham" wrote in message
    >> Folk:
    >>
    >> If I'm not in the right place, plz direct me to the proper ng.
    >>
    >> Running XP, all service packs. ISP is hardwired to desktop, and laptop
    >> is on wireless network; printer is USBed into desktop; printer sharing is
    >> enabled. Have been using this configuration for 4 years, no problem.
    >> Now, laptop cannot print to the printer. Called ISP: they can't help,
    >> b/c they can't see the printer on the network at all; when I go into the
    >> add printer routines on the laptop, the network shows up, with all live
    >> 'puters, but no printer underneath the desktop in the 'description.'
    >>
    >> What is my course of action?
    >>
    >> Regards and Happy Trails,
    >>
    >> Scott Needham
    >> Boulder, Colorado, USA

  4. Re: printer 'dropped off' n/w

    This apparently didn't go through first try:

    OK, can't copy/paste the cmd window--can I post screen shots here?--, but
    the printer shows up in net share as "spooled" with the share name
    "DellLaser" as it is s'posed to. In net view, the only resource listed is
    \\Beverly" which I think is the name my wife gave the laptop; the i'net is
    accessible from the laptop.

    Regards and Happy Trails,

    Scott Needham
    Boulder, Colorado, USA

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    > In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
    > \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

  5. Re: printer 'dropped off' n/w

    In desktop, run "net share .c:\netshare.txt"
    In desktop, run "ipconfig" and write down the IP address.
    In laptop, run "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". Replace the IP
    address found in desktop ipconfig command with desktopipaddress.

    Copy and paste netshare.txt and netview.txt here.

    --
    "S. Needham" wrote in message
    > This apparently didn't go through first try:
    >
    > OK, can't copy/paste the cmd window--can I post screen shots here?--, but
    > the printer shows up in net share as "spooled" with the share name
    > "DellLaser" as it is s'posed to. In net view, the only resource listed is
    > \\Beverly" which I think is the name my wife gave the laptop; the i'net is
    > accessible from the laptop.
    >
    > Regards and Happy Trails,
    >
    > Scott Needham
    > Boulder, Colorado, USA
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
    >> \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

+ Reply to Thread