Can't install USB network adapter - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't install USB network adapter - Wireless ; Trying to install a Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter on a Dell desktop with XP SP2. Downloaded the driver and installation utility from Belkin, installed and device mgr said "this device cannot start". Uninstalled and reinstalled in safe ...

  1. Can't install USB network adapter

    Trying to install a Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter on a Dell
    desktop with XP SP2. Downloaded the driver and installation utility from
    Belkin, installed and device mgr said "this device cannot start".
    Uninstalled and reinstalled in safe mode. Worked and connected to my
    wireless network. Shut down, took machine to clients house, and the "device
    cannot start" again. Spent hours attempting all sorts of ways to
    install/uninstall/reinstall - safe mode, not safe mode, uninstalling from
    device mgr, uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs, uninstalling from the
    Belkin utility. Finally worked after installing the driver using the Belkin
    utility, but also letting the Add Hardware wizard do its thing; it installed
    some drivers to System32 folder. Worked fine, connected to internet thru
    clients network, no problem. Changed the machine's workgroup name so I could
    connect to clients home network. Rebooted, "device cannot start" again. Used
    the same last successful process to install, but now the Add Hardware wizard
    hangs at the end of installing its drivers. What could be holding up this
    thing from installing and staying installed?

    Many thanks.

    Rip

  2. Re: Can't install USB network adapter

    It is too easy to completely screw your system by playing all these
    setup tricks using dubious utilities.

    I'd advice to call Belkin support, and return the adapter to the store
    if no support given.

    Regards,
    --PA

    RipperT < wrote:
    > Trying to install a Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter on a Dell
    > desktop with XP SP2. Downloaded the driver and installation utility from
    > Belkin, installed and device mgr said "this device cannot start".
    > Uninstalled and reinstalled in safe mode. Worked and connected to my
    > wireless network. Shut down, took machine to clients house, and the "device
    > cannot start" again. Spent hours attempting all sorts of ways to
    > install/uninstall/reinstall - safe mode, not safe mode, uninstalling from
    > device mgr, uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs, uninstalling from the
    > Belkin utility. Finally worked after installing the driver using the Belkin
    > utility, but also letting the Add Hardware wizard do its thing; it installed
    > some drivers to System32 folder. Worked fine, connected to internet thru
    > clients network, no problem. Changed the machine's workgroup name so I could
    > connect to clients home network. Rebooted, "device cannot start" again. Used
    > the same last successful process to install, but now the Add Hardware wizard
    > hangs at the end of installing its drivers. What could be holding up this
    > thing from installing and staying installed?
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Rip

  3. Re: Can't install USB network adapter

    If you are suggesting that I rely strictly on the Add Hardware wizard, I
    would argue that in my experience, which is considerable, it's worked in
    maybe 30% of cases. I'd like to say it has a 50% success rate on this
    particular machine so far, but I can't even be sure it contributed.

    I appreciate your reply. Can anyone else help?

    Rip

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > It is too easy to completely screw your system by playing all these setup
    > tricks using dubious utilities.
    >
    > I'd advice to call Belkin support, and return the adapter to the store if
    > no support given.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA
    >

    > RipperT < wrote:
    >> Trying to install a Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter on a Dell
    >> desktop with XP SP2. Downloaded the driver and installation utility from
    >> Belkin, installed and device mgr said "this device cannot start".
    >> Uninstalled and reinstalled in safe mode. Worked and connected to my
    >> wireless network. Shut down, took machine to clients house, and the
    >> "device cannot start" again. Spent hours attempting all sorts of ways to
    >> install/uninstall/reinstall - safe mode, not safe mode, uninstalling from
    >> device mgr, uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs, uninstalling from the
    >> Belkin utility. Finally worked after installing the driver using the
    >> Belkin utility, but also letting the Add Hardware wizard do its thing; it
    >> installed some drivers to System32 folder. Worked fine, connected to
    >> internet thru clients network, no problem. Changed the machine's
    >> workgroup name so I could connect to clients home network. Rebooted,
    >> "device cannot start" again. Used the same last successful process to
    >> install, but now the Add Hardware wizard hangs at the end of installing
    >> its drivers. What could be holding up this thing from installing and
    >> staying installed?
    >>
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> Rip

  4. Re: Can't install USB network adapter

    No I don't suggest to use only the Add Hardware wizard,
    the vendor's utilities may be good as well.
    However, the problem with Belkin is that they are resellers,
    they don't make the wi-fi devices that they sell, don't
    make the software and therefore can not provide reasonable support.

    The error code in Device manager (usually 10 or 12),
    any relevant messages in the event viewer can provide
    enough clues for finding the root cause of these failures.
    It may be defective driver, or something wrong with your
    system (such as conflicting drivers or over-zealous antivirus software).
    Less likely it could be bad USB cable, connector or not enough power
    available from the usb port...

    Regards,
    --PA

    Ripper wrote:
    > If you are suggesting that I rely strictly on the Add Hardware wizard, I
    > would argue that in my experience, which is considerable, it's worked in
    > maybe 30% of cases. I'd like to say it has a 50% success rate on this
    > particular machine so far, but I can't even be sure it contributed.
    >
    > I appreciate your reply. Can anyone else help?
    >
    > Rip
    >
    > "Pavel A." wrote in message
    >> It is too easy to completely screw your system by playing all these setup
    >> tricks using dubious utilities.
    >>
    >> I'd advice to call Belkin support, and return the adapter to the store if
    >> no support given.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --PA
    >>

    >> RipperT < wrote:
    >>> Trying to install a Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter on a Dell
    >>> desktop with XP SP2. Downloaded the driver and installation utility from
    >>> Belkin, installed and device mgr said "this device cannot start".
    >>> Uninstalled and reinstalled in safe mode. Worked and connected to my
    >>> wireless network. Shut down, took machine to clients house, and the
    >>> "device cannot start" again. Spent hours attempting all sorts of ways to
    >>> install/uninstall/reinstall - safe mode, not safe mode, uninstalling from
    >>> device mgr, uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs, uninstalling from the
    >>> Belkin utility. Finally worked after installing the driver using the
    >>> Belkin utility, but also letting the Add Hardware wizard do its thing; it
    >>> installed some drivers to System32 folder. Worked fine, connected to
    >>> internet thru clients network, no problem. Changed the machine's
    >>> workgroup name so I could connect to clients home network. Rebooted,
    >>> "device cannot start" again. Used the same last successful process to
    >>> install, but now the Add Hardware wizard hangs at the end of installing
    >>> its drivers. What could be holding up this thing from installing and
    >>> staying installed?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Rip

  5. Re: Can't install USB network adapter

    Ripper wrote:
    > If you are suggesting that I rely strictly on the Add Hardware wizard, I
    > would argue that in my experience, which is considerable, it's worked in
    > maybe 30% of cases. I'd like to say it has a 50% success rate on this
    > particular machine so far, but I can't even be sure it contributed.
    >
    > I appreciate your reply. Can anyone else help?
    >
    > Rip
    >
    > "Pavel A." wrote in message
    >> It is too easy to completely screw your system by playing all these setup
    >> tricks using dubious utilities.
    >>
    >> I'd advice to call Belkin support, and return the adapter to the store if
    >> no support given.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --PA
    >>

    >> RipperT < wrote:
    >>> Trying to install a Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter on a Dell
    >>> desktop with XP SP2. Downloaded the driver and installation utility from
    >>> Belkin, installed and device mgr said "this device cannot start".
    >>> Uninstalled and reinstalled in safe mode. Worked and connected to my
    >>> wireless network. Shut down, took machine to clients house, and the
    >>> "device cannot start" again. Spent hours attempting all sorts of ways to
    >>> install/uninstall/reinstall - safe mode, not safe mode, uninstalling from
    >>> device mgr, uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs, uninstalling from the
    >>> Belkin utility. Finally worked after installing the driver using the
    >>> Belkin utility, but also letting the Add Hardware wizard do its thing; it
    >>> installed some drivers to System32 folder. Worked fine, connected to
    >>> internet thru clients network, no problem. Changed the machine's
    >>> workgroup name so I could connect to clients home network. Rebooted,
    >>> "device cannot start" again. Used the same last successful process to
    >>> install, but now the Add Hardware wizard hangs at the end of installing
    >>> its drivers. What could be holding up this thing from installing and
    >>> staying installed?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Rip

    See http://www.pchell.com/hardware/usbcode10.shtml

    If you have additional USB devices, particularly power-hungry ones like
    external hard drives, you may be running into a power issue. Try
    physically removing all other USB devices (except, of course, your mouse
    and kbd) and see if the adapter works then.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  6. Re: Can't install USB network adapter

    Thanks, Paval and Lem for the useful info and links.

    Ripper