WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2 - Wireless

This is a discussion on WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2 - Wireless ; I changed my D Link from WEP to WPA PSK and my Dell Windows XP SP2 Home connects no problem; however, I have a Toshiba Laptop with Japanese Windows XP SP2 OS and it won't finish "acquiring" the SSID once ...

  1. WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    I changed my D Link from WEP to WPA PSK and my Dell Windows XP SP2 Home
    connects no problem; however, I have a Toshiba Laptop with Japanese Windows
    XP SP2 OS and it won't finish "acquiring" the SSID once changed. Seems like
    I"m stuck with WEP. Can anyone help?

  2. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    What is the WiFi card make/model? My wild guess is the WiFi card does not
    support WPA but I could be wrong. Have you tried updating WiFi driver?

    "Dan" wrote in message
    >I changed my D Link from WEP to WPA PSK and my Dell Windows XP SP2 Home
    > connects no problem; however, I have a Toshiba Laptop with Japanese
    > Windows
    > XP SP2 OS and it won't finish "acquiring" the SSID once changed. Seems
    > like
    > I"m stuck with WEP. Can anyone help?

  3. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    Hi
    Windows XP SP2 is by default WPA/WPA2 capable.
    However it takes the info from the Wireless card Drivers. If the card, and
    or, its drivers does not support WPA Windows would not either.
    Log to the support site of the Laptop and check for the latest drives of the
    Wireless Card.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Dan" wrote in message
    >I changed my D Link from WEP to WPA PSK and my Dell Windows XP SP2 Home
    > connects no problem; however, I have a Toshiba Laptop with Japanese
    > Windows
    > XP SP2 OS and it won't finish "acquiring" the SSID once changed. Seems
    > like
    > I"m stuck with WEP. Can anyone help?

  4. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    > Hi
    > Windows XP SP2 is by default WPA/WPA2 capable.

    WinXP SP3 is by default WPA/WPA2 capable. WinXP SP2 is WPA capable but needs
    an additional patch to make it WPA2 capable.

    I agree that the hardware + driver must also support them.

  5. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    Thanks, card is

    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    9.0.4.17

    Going online now

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Windows XP SP2 is by default WPA/WPA2 capable.
    > However it takes the info from the Wireless card Drivers. If the card, and
    > or, its drivers does not support WPA Windows would not either.
    > Log to the support site of the Laptop and check for the latest drives of the
    > Wireless Card.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Dan" wrote in message
    > >I changed my D Link from WEP to WPA PSK and my Dell Windows XP SP2 Home
    > > connects no problem; however, I have a Toshiba Laptop with Japanese
    > > Windows
    > > XP SP2 OS and it won't finish "acquiring" the SSID once changed. Seems
    > > like
    > > I"m stuck with WEP. Can anyone help?

  6. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    Dan wrote:
    > Thanks, card is
    >
    > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    > 9.0.4.17

    This isn't WPA2 capable. Too old

    Regards,
    --PA

  7. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Thanks, card is
    >>
    >> Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    >> 9.0.4.17

    > This isn't WPA2 capable. Too old

    Yes it is. I've been using 2200BG since mid 2005 with WPA2 security.

  8. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    Still unable to connect. Updated OS to Windows XP Home SP3 and upgraded
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG card driver to 9.0.4.39 but still cannot connect.

    The Dell connects no problem, the Japanese OS laptop gets stuck in a
    viscious cycle where it tries to connect then fails every 3 seconds. Cannot
    get an IP address. Very frustrating.

    Appreciate any further insight.

    "Dan" wrote:

    > Thanks, card is
    >
    > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    > 9.0.4.17
    >
    > Going online now
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > Windows XP SP2 is by default WPA/WPA2 capable.
    > > However it takes the info from the Wireless card Drivers. If the card, and
    > > or, its drivers does not support WPA Windows would not either.
    > > Log to the support site of the Laptop and check for the latest drives of the
    > > Wireless Card.
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    > >
    > > "Dan" wrote in message
    > > >I changed my D Link from WEP to WPA PSK and my Dell Windows XP SP2 Home
    > > > connects no problem; however, I have a Toshiba Laptop with Japanese
    > > > Windows
    > > > XP SP2 OS and it won't finish "acquiring" the SSID once changed. Seems
    > > > like
    > > > I"m stuck with WEP. Can anyone help?

  9. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    "Dan" wrote in message
    > Still unable to connect. Updated OS to Windows XP Home SP3 and upgraded
    > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG card driver to 9.0.4.39 but still cannot
    > connect.

    Did you get the driver from Intel site or your notebook manufacturer?

    > The Dell connects no problem, the Japanese OS laptop gets stuck in a
    > viscious cycle where it tries to connect then fails every 3 seconds.
    > Cannot
    > get an IP address. Very frustrating.
    >
    > Appreciate any further insight.

    Is MAC filtering enabled? What if you give that notebook a static IP? Have
    you restarted the router by unplugging/plugging it back? Start over from
    scratch?

  10. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    "Dan" wrote in message
    > Still unable to connect. Updated OS to Windows XP Home SP3 and
    > upgraded
    > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG card driver to 9.0.4.39 but still cannot
    > connect.
    >
    > The Dell connects no problem, the Japanese OS laptop gets stuck in a
    > viscious cycle where it tries to connect then fails every 3 seconds.
    > Cannot
    > get an IP address. Very frustrating.
    >
    > Appreciate any further insight.

    That 3 second loop means it connects to your SSID, but it cannot
    authenticate the connection, because your PSK is wrong.

  11. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    Got the driver from the Intel site. MAC filters is disabled. Restarted the
    router & modem with unplug/plug. Should I enable MAC filter or request a
    static IP from my ISP?

    "Frank" wrote:

    > "Dan" wrote in message
    > > Still unable to connect. Updated OS to Windows XP Home SP3 and upgraded
    > > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG card driver to 9.0.4.39 but still cannot
    > > connect.

    > Did you get the driver from Intel site or your notebook manufacturer?
    >
    > > The Dell connects no problem, the Japanese OS laptop gets stuck in a
    > > viscious cycle where it tries to connect then fails every 3 seconds.
    > > Cannot
    > > get an IP address. Very frustrating.
    > >
    > > Appreciate any further insight.

    > Is MAC filtering enabled? What if you give that notebook a static IP? Have
    > you restarted the router by unplugging/plugging it back? Start over from
    > scratch?

  12. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    We've triple checked the PSK. Also, as soon as we change the router back to
    WEP we can connect. Seems the problem is related to WPA-PSK security.

    "Marc" wrote:

    > "Dan" wrote in message
    > > Still unable to connect. Updated OS to Windows XP Home SP3 and
    > > upgraded
    > > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG card driver to 9.0.4.39 but still cannot
    > > connect.
    > >
    > > The Dell connects no problem, the Japanese OS laptop gets stuck in a
    > > viscious cycle where it tries to connect then fails every 3 seconds.
    > > Cannot
    > > get an IP address. Very frustrating.
    > >
    > > Appreciate any further insight.

    > That 3 second loop means it connects to your SSID, but it cannot
    > authenticate the connection, because your PSK is wrong.

  13. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:05:01 -0800, Dan
    wrote:

    >We've triple checked the PSK. Also, as soon as we change the router back to
    >WEP we can connect. Seems the problem is related to WPA-PSK security.

    Have you tried upgrading the firmware of the router? You didn't
    mention which type of router it is or how old it is.

    Quite a few older routers will not be able to handle AES encryption
    with WPA-PSK and you might need to use TKIP. Of course, if you select
    TKIP on the router (it might be implied if TKIP or AES isn't a
    selectable option) you will have to select that on the pc's too along
    with using the correct passphrase.

    Jim.

  14. Re: WPA not working on Japanese windows XP SP2

    Router is DLink DI-524 with Firmware version 1.21 . Will upgrade to 1.23
    shortly.

    Hopefully this works as upgrading the Intel 2200BG made it worse and we've
    rolled back but are now unable to connect for more than 5 minutes without
    dropping. We've also maxed out power setting for the Intel and that didn't
    seem to work

    Thanks

    "James Egan" wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:05:01 -0800, Dan
    > wrote:
    >
    > >We've triple checked the PSK. Also, as soon as we change the router back to
    > >WEP we can connect. Seems the problem is related to WPA-PSK security.

    > Have you tried upgrading the firmware of the router? You didn't
    > mention which type of router it is or how old it is.
    >
    > Quite a few older routers will not be able to handle AES encryption
    > with WPA-PSK and you might need to use TKIP. Of course, if you select
    > TKIP on the router (it might be implied if TKIP or AES isn't a
    > selectable option) you will have to select that on the pc's too along
    > with using the correct passphrase.
    >

    > Jim.

+ Reply to Thread