Service blocked--someone trying from China, Helsinki, and Finland - Wireless

This is a discussion on Service blocked--someone trying from China, Helsinki, and Finland - Wireless ; Hello: I'm very new to home wireless networking, so this question may seem parochial. I have a Wireless Router (Netgear WNDR3300) and I have the activity log e-mail to me every hour. Every now and again, I'll receive notification of ...

  1. Service blocked--someone trying from China, Helsinki, and Finland

    Hello:

    I'm very new to home wireless networking, so this question may seem
    parochial.

    I have a Wireless Router (Netgear WNDR3300) and I have the activity
    log e-mail to me every hour. Every now and again, I'll receive
    notification of a block IP address. Most of the time, the IP address
    isn't local. In fact, it's not even in my state or country (U.S., New
    York). I've received notification of attempted access from China,
    Finland, Spain, and Bulgaria.

    Any one care to explain how this happens. I do understand that they're
    not receiving my wireless signal that far away, so are they just
    scanning IP addresses and hitting mine randomly?

    Thanks,

    Danny

  2. Re: Service blocked--someone trying from China, Helsinki, and Finland

    Yes. You got it.
    --

    "bdy" wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm very new to home wireless networking, so this question may seem
    > parochial.
    >
    > I have a Wireless Router (Netgear WNDR3300) and I have the activity
    > log e-mail to me every hour. Every now and again, I'll receive
    > notification of a block IP address. Most of the time, the IP address
    > isn't local. In fact, it's not even in my state or country (U.S., New
    > York). I've received notification of attempted access from China,
    > Finland, Spain, and Bulgaria.
    >
    > Any one care to explain how this happens. I do understand that they're
    > not receiving my wireless signal that far away, so are they just
    > scanning IP addresses and hitting mine randomly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Danny

  3. Re: Service blocked--someone trying from China, Helsinki, and Finland

    Hi
    This has nothing to do with Wireless or any thing else in your own system.
    Your Router has a WAN port that is connected through the Modem to the
    Internet.
    On the Internet side there is constant traffic and some of it randomly
    knocking on your Door.
    The Router blocks this random attempts, that is one of its rolls.
    If you have No particular reason to keep an Eye on the WAN port blocking
    activity uncheck the auto email sending, otherwise its keeps your system
    busy for nothing.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    "bdy" wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm very new to home wireless networking, so this question may seem
    > parochial.
    >
    > I have a Wireless Router (Netgear WNDR3300) and I have the activity
    > log e-mail to me every hour. Every now and again, I'll receive
    > notification of a block IP address. Most of the time, the IP address
    > isn't local. In fact, it's not even in my state or country (U.S., New
    > York). I've received notification of attempted access from China,
    > Finland, Spain, and Bulgaria.
    >
    > Any one care to explain how this happens. I do understand that they're
    > not receiving my wireless signal that far away, so are they just
    > scanning IP addresses and hitting mine randomly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Danny

+ Reply to Thread