WiFi Vista Not Working - Wireless

This is a discussion on WiFi Vista Not Working - Wireless ; How do we get Microsoft to fix WiFi and Vista? After coming out of sleep state on my notebook (Lenovo X61s most less than one year old) I went to three different WiFis in the same shopping mall and it ...

  1. WiFi Vista Not Working

    How do we get Microsoft to fix WiFi and Vista? After coming out of sleep
    state on my notebook (Lenovo X61s most less than one year old) I went to
    three different WiFis in the same shopping mall and it would not connecting
    through to the Internet -- Local Only. I had to reboot and I constantly
    have to go through rebooting.

    I tried ipconfig/renew and repair and it just won't go through to Internet
    without a reboot. I am running SQL Server and other programs on this
    notebook so it takes over five minutes to reboot (and yes, I've turned off
    all of the startup program -- the time to reboot is becuase of all of the
    services that are started).

    I don't understand why I have to reboot. Why isn't there something manually
    I can do to get through to the Internet -- whatever the reboot does -- so
    that I don't have to reboot?

    Also, how do we get Microsoft to fix this problem that they know about? It
    apparently is only a problem with Vista and not with XP. Is there a proper
    forum so that we can discuss this and they can fix it?

    Here are some links about the problem including two knowledge base articles:

    Vista works well for me except there are issues with WiFi disconnecting.

    Here are links:
    http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1012094.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...tm#post3938896
    (this one is more specific)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

    TIA David

  2. Re: WiFi Vista Not Working

    Have you contacted Lenovo support to discuss the problem, updated the
    driver?

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    "David F" wrote in message
    > How do we get Microsoft to fix WiFi and Vista? After coming out of sleep
    > state on my notebook (Lenovo X61s most less than one year old) I went to
    > three different WiFis in the same shopping mall and it would not
    > connecting through to the Internet -- Local Only. I had to reboot and I
    > constantly have to go through rebooting.
    >
    > I tried ipconfig/renew and repair and it just won't go through to Internet
    > without a reboot. I am running SQL Server and other programs on this
    > notebook so it takes over five minutes to reboot (and yes, I've turned off
    > all of the startup program -- the time to reboot is becuase of all of the
    > services that are started).
    >
    > I don't understand why I have to reboot. Why isn't there something
    > manually I can do to get through to the Internet -- whatever the reboot
    > does -- so that I don't have to reboot?
    >
    > Also, how do we get Microsoft to fix this problem that they know about?
    > It apparently is only a problem with Vista and not with XP. Is there a
    > proper forum so that we can discuss this and they can fix it?
    >
    > Here are some links about the problem including two knowledge base
    > articles:
    >
    > Vista works well for me except there are issues with WiFi disconnecting.
    >
    > Here are links:
    > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1012094.htm
    >
    > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...tm#post3938896
    > (this one is more specific)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152

    > TIA David

  3. Re: WiFi Vista Not Working

    I had major issues with my X61 when upgrading to Vista SP1. Finally had to
    do a complete restore in order to get it working right.

    I then visited the Lenovo update site before updating to SP1 - and the SP1
    update worked flawlessly.

    No issues with connections pre/post SP1, nor with other beta OS's
    Your mileage may vary due to the many options available for customizing this
    tablet.

    - John

    "David B." wrote:

    > Have you contacted Lenovo support to discuss the problem, updated the
    > driver?
    >
    > --
    >
    > ----
    > Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "David F" wrote in message
    > > How do we get Microsoft to fix WiFi and Vista? After coming out of sleep
    > > state on my notebook (Lenovo X61s most less than one year old) I went to
    > > three different WiFis in the same shopping mall and it would not
    > > connecting through to the Internet -- Local Only. I had to reboot and I
    > > constantly have to go through rebooting.
    > >
    > > I tried ipconfig/renew and repair and it just won't go through to Internet
    > > without a reboot. I am running SQL Server and other programs on this
    > > notebook so it takes over five minutes to reboot (and yes, I've turned off
    > > all of the startup program -- the time to reboot is becuase of all of the
    > > services that are started).
    > >
    > > I don't understand why I have to reboot. Why isn't there something
    > > manually I can do to get through to the Internet -- whatever the reboot
    > > does -- so that I don't have to reboot?
    > >
    > > Also, how do we get Microsoft to fix this problem that they know about?
    > > It apparently is only a problem with Vista and not with XP. Is there a
    > > proper forum so that we can discuss this and they can fix it?
    > >
    > > Here are some links about the problem including two knowledge base
    > > articles:
    > >
    > > Vista works well for me except there are issues with WiFi disconnecting.
    > >
    > > Here are links:
    > > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1012094.htm
    > >
    > > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...tm#post3938896
    > > (this one is more specific)
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152

    > > TIA David

  4. Re: WiFi Vista Not Working

    Thanks....I have the most recent Intel 4965AGN driver: 12.0.0.82
    If you read the links below you can see that the problem is with Microsoft
    and Vista, especially in cases where you do not have control over the WiFi
    router and you can't ensure that the most recent firmware is in place. When
    you say it works, does it work for any public WiFi router?
    So, where is the appropriate forum to ask Microsoft to fix the problem? Can
    a Microsoft MVP please answer? TIA

    "usasma" wrote in message
    >I had major issues with my X61 when upgrading to Vista SP1. Finally had to
    > do a complete restore in order to get it working right.
    >
    > I then visited the Lenovo update site before updating to SP1 - and the SP1
    > update worked flawlessly.
    >
    > No issues with connections pre/post SP1, nor with other beta OS's
    > Your mileage may vary due to the many options available for customizing
    > this
    > tablet.
    >
    > - John
    >
    > "David B." wrote:
    >
    >> Have you contacted Lenovo support to discuss the problem, updated the
    >> driver?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> ----
    >> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
    >> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    >> Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "David F" wrote in message
    >> > How do we get Microsoft to fix WiFi and Vista? After coming out of
    >> > sleep
    >> > state on my notebook (Lenovo X61s most less than one year old) I went
    >> > three different WiFis in the same shopping mall and it would not
    >> > connecting through to the Internet -- Local Only. I had to reboot and
    >> > constantly have to go through rebooting.
    >> >
    >> > I tried ipconfig/renew and repair and it just won't go through to
    >> > Internet
    >> > without a reboot. I am running SQL Server and other programs on this
    >> > notebook so it takes over five minutes to reboot (and yes, I've turned
    >> > off
    >> > all of the startup program -- the time to reboot is becuase of all of
    >> > the
    >> > services that are started).
    >> >
    >> > I don't understand why I have to reboot. Why isn't there something
    >> > manually I can do to get through to the Internet -- whatever the reboot
    >> > does -- so that I don't have to reboot?
    >> >
    >> > Also, how do we get Microsoft to fix this problem that they know about?
    >> > It apparently is only a problem with Vista and not with XP. Is there a
    >> > proper forum so that we can discuss this and they can fix it?
    >> >
    >> > Here are some links about the problem including two knowledge base
    >> > articles:
    >> >
    >> > Vista works well for me except there are issues with WiFi
    >> > disconnecting.
    >> >
    >> > Here are links:
    >> > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1012094.htm
    >> >
    >> > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...tm#post3938896
    >> > (this one is more specific)
    >> >
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152
    >> >
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
    >> >
    >> > TIA David

  5. Re: WiFi Vista Not Working

    Hi
    Look at the advance Power Saving settings and try to take every thing
    related to Network and Wireless out of the Sleep loop.
    However giving what you are running on this Laptop I would switch the Sleep
    Off and use it with the charger plugged in.
    Unlike desktops laptops have an elaborate Sleep system that it is Not just
    depending on Windows but also on variety of manufacturer hardware and
    software schemes done by the manufacturer.
    In many cases there is No solution to the Sleep issue.
    Next generation of Wireless card hardware might have WOL arrangements in the
    Wireless Cards too.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "David F" wrote in message
    > How do we get Microsoft to fix WiFi and Vista? After coming out of sleep
    > state on my notebook (Lenovo X61s most less than one year old) I went to
    > three different WiFis in the same shopping mall and it would not
    > connecting through to the Internet -- Local Only. I had to reboot and I
    > constantly have to go through rebooting.
    >
    > I tried ipconfig/renew and repair and it just won't go through to Internet
    > without a reboot. I am running SQL Server and other programs on this
    > notebook so it takes over five minutes to reboot (and yes, I've turned off
    > all of the startup program -- the time to reboot is becuase of all of the
    > services that are started).
    >
    > I don't understand why I have to reboot. Why isn't there something
    > manually I can do to get through to the Internet -- whatever the reboot
    > does -- so that I don't have to reboot?
    >
    > Also, how do we get Microsoft to fix this problem that they know about?
    > It apparently is only a problem with Vista and not with XP. Is there a
    > proper forum so that we can discuss this and they can fix it?
    >
    > Here are some links about the problem including two knowledge base
    > articles:
    >
    > Vista works well for me except there are issues with WiFi disconnecting.
    >
    > Here are links:
    > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1012094.htm
    >
    > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...tm#post3938896
    > (this one is more specific)