Windows asking for WEP when should be WPA/PSK - Wireless

This is a discussion on Windows asking for WEP when should be WPA/PSK - Wireless ; Have just reinstalled XP on a Compaq Presario Laptop which uses a Vigor 540 cardbus wireless adapter to connect to a Vigo 2600Gi router. Where I have to enter the network key it is expecting a WEP key, but the ...

  1. Windows asking for WEP when should be WPA/PSK

    Have just reinstalled XP on a Compaq Presario Laptop which uses a Vigor 540
    cardbus wireless adapter to connect to a Vigo 2600Gi router. Where I have
    to enter the network key it is expecting a WEP key, but the router is set up
    for a WPA/PSK, so it obviously isn't accepting it. Is there somewhere I tell
    windows it's WPA/PSK security?

  2. Re: Windows asking for WEP when should be WPA/PSK

    Hi
    1. Make sure you installed XPSP2, if it is Not SP2 log to Microsoft Site and
    get the SP2 update.
    2. Check Vigor Site and get the latest Drivers
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Trevor" wrote in message
    news:2e14e$4910bc51$50e5af86$8968@news.eurofeeds.c om...
    > Have just reinstalled XP on a Compaq Presario Laptop which uses a Vigor
    > 540 cardbus wireless adapter to connect to a Vigo 2600Gi router. Where I
    > have to enter the network key it is expecting a WEP key, but the router is
    > set up for a WPA/PSK, so it obviously isn't accepting it. Is there
    > somewhere I tell windows it's WPA/PSK security?

  3. Re: Windows asking for WEP when should be WPA/PSK

    Can't do this as can't connect to internet (with the laptop) can I get the
    update on my desk PC and transfer it to the laptop? Have latest vigor
    drivers.

    > Hi
    > 1. Make sure you installed XPSP2, if it is Not SP2 log to Microsoft Site
    > and get the SP2 update.
    > 2. Check Vigor Site and get the latest Drivers
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Trevor" wrote in message
    > news:2e14e$4910bc51$50e5af86$8968@news.eurofeeds.c om...
    >> Have just reinstalled XP on a Compaq Presario Laptop which uses a Vigor
    >> 540 cardbus wireless adapter to connect to a Vigo 2600Gi router. Where I
    >> have to enter the network key it is expecting a WEP key, but the router
    >> is set up for a WPA/PSK, so it obviously isn't accepting it. Is there
    >> somewhere I tell windows it's WPA/PSK security?

  4. Re: Windows asking for WEP when should be WPA/PSK

    Managed to get the XP SP2 on another PC and install it on the laptop and hey
    presto Voila!

    Many thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread