Spontaneous loss of network connectivity - Wireless

This is a discussion on Spontaneous loss of network connectivity - Wireless ; I have a Linksys wireless N set up and the wireless signal to noise and bandwidth are excellent. I run a two-computer network system with both computers (and an occassional laptop) running XP3. Frequently (once or twice a day) one ...

  1. Spontaneous loss of network connectivity

    I have a Linksys wireless N set up and the wireless signal to noise
    and bandwidth are excellent. I run a two-computer network system
    with both computers (and an occassional laptop) running XP3.

    Frequently (once or twice a day) one (called spare) loses the other
    machine's network address. If I am in the middle of a file transfer,
    it just stops. Sometimes Spare's windows firewall has been triggered
    on. I run with it off and use a McAfee program, instead.

    I have to reboot to get spare to recognize the other computer. All the
    while, the wireless network is showing full functionality...at the top
    of its game. This could be a windows issue or a wireless issue, but it
    is frustrating.

    Any ideas??

    Henry

  2. Re: Spontaneous loss of network connectivity

    May be a driver issue.
    Next time when this occurs, try to disable & enable the wi-fi
    adapter instead of rebooting.

    --PA

    HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
    > I have a Linksys wireless N set up and the wireless signal to noise
    > and bandwidth are excellent. I run a two-computer network system
    > with both computers (and an occassional laptop) running XP3.
    >
    > Frequently (once or twice a day) one (called spare) loses the other
    > machine's network address. If I am in the middle of a file transfer,
    > it just stops. Sometimes Spare's windows firewall has been triggered
    > on. I run with it off and use a McAfee program, instead.
    >
    > I have to reboot to get spare to recognize the other computer. All the
    > while, the wireless network is showing full functionality...at the top
    > of its game. This could be a windows issue or a wireless issue, but it
    > is frustrating.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Henry

  3. Re: Spontaneous loss of network connectivity

    On Nov 3, 1:32*pm, HLAMUTHNOS...@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
    > I have a Linksys wireless N set up and the wireless signal to noise
    > and bandwidth are *excellent. I run a two-computer *network system
    > with both computers (and an occassional laptop) running XP3.
    >
    > *Frequently (once or twice a day) one (called spare) loses the other
    > machine's network address. If I am in the middle of a file transfer,
    > it just stops. Sometimes Spare's windows firewall has been triggered
    > on. I run with it off and use a McAfee program, instead.
    >
    > I have to reboot to get spare to recognize the other computer. All the
    > while, the wireless network is showing full functionality...at the top
    > of its game. This could be a windows issue or a wireless issue, but it
    > is frustrating.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Henry

    Which wifi controlling system are you using? Linksys included one or
    Microsoft's Wireless Zero Configuration?

    Also, you need that most wireless N parts all use the 2.4 Ghz signal
    band which is subject to interference with most Bluetooth, cordless
    phone and microwaves.

  4. Re: Spontaneous loss of network connectivity

    Both suggestions are good ones. The "repair" function for the wifi
    works, but it still spontaneously drops connection. I use the windows
    wifi manager. The two computers are side by side...only one has the
    problem. The wireless phones are the new 6.1 spec spread spectrum type
    and, as before, one computer is affected and the other is not. It is
    likely an intermittant wireless interface card issue in the affected
    computer. I am not thrilled with having to buy another one to test the
    theory.

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:48:58 +0200, "Pavel A."
    wrote:

    >May be a driver issue.
    >Next time when this occurs, try to disable & enable the wi-fi
    >adapter instead of rebooting.
    >
    >--PA
    >

    >HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
    >> I have a Linksys wireless N set up and the wireless signal to noise
    >> and bandwidth are excellent. I run a two-computer network system
    >> with both computers (and an occassional laptop) running XP3.
    >>
    >> Frequently (once or twice a day) one (called spare) loses the other
    >> machine's network address. If I am in the middle of a file transfer,
    >> it just stops. Sometimes Spare's windows firewall has been triggered
    >> on. I run with it off and use a McAfee program, instead.
    >>
    >> I have to reboot to get spare to recognize the other computer. All the
    >> while, the wireless network is showing full functionality...at the top
    >> of its game. This could be a windows issue or a wireless issue, but it
    >> is frustrating.
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >>
    >> Henry

+ Reply to Thread