Wireless setup for the home - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless setup for the home - Wireless ; I would like to purchase two Windows laptops and have them both use a wireless router (using 802.11n). One of the laptops may need to contact the wireless router through three concrete walls. I also would like to be able ...

  1. Wireless setup for the home

    I would like to purchase two Windows laptops and have them both use a
    wireless router (using 802.11n). One of the laptops may need to contact the
    wireless router through three concrete walls. I also would like to be able
    to have one external disk (which is either attached to the wireless router
    via USB/FireWire/Ethernet or is itself wireless, if such a beast exists).
    And I would like to have one central printer which, like the external disk,
    is either attached to the wireless router or is itself wireless).

    Laptop 1 Central Printer

    Wireless Router

    Laptop 2 Central External Disk

    Can someone point me in the right direction for this kind of setup? Many
    wireless routers do not support attaching devices. Model recommendations
    would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Wireless setup for the home

    "barcaroller" wrote in message
    >I would like to purchase two Windows laptops and have them both use a
    > wireless router (using 802.11n). One of the laptops may need to contact
    > the
    > wireless router through three concrete walls.

    It will either have to go through the concrete walls or you will have to run
    a cable up to a location near it and attach a Wireless Access Point (not a
    "router"). The Laptop would use the WAP instead of the "router". The WAP
    would use the cable to plug into the "router" exactly the same as a "wired"
    PC would do,..no difference

    > I also would like to be able to have one external disk (which is either
    > attached to the wireless router via USB/FireWire/Ethernet or is itself
    > wireless, if such a beast exists).

    They either don't exist or they *barely* exist,...for home use anyway. A
    commercial grade NAS cost about 1/3rd of what you paid for your car and they
    would be "wired",...not "wireless". That technology has not "matured" for
    home use yet. Whatever you find will probably cost more than you want to pay
    or not work dependably or work in a very inconvenient way such as having to
    install "cluncky" vendor specific utilities on each PC to be able to use the
    drive,...there is no "universal" standard like there is with USB Drives or
    USB Thumb Drives.

    > And I would like to have one central printer which, like the external
    > disk,
    > is either attached to the wireless router or is itself wireless).

    There are a lot of home-user printers around now that work with wireless
    networks. You want Ethernet wireless,..not Bluetooth wireless. You
    probably cannot walk through an electronics store and *not* find one by now.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Technet Library
    ISA2004
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx
    ISA2006
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx

    Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html

    Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx

    Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
    http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

  3. Re: Wireless setup for the home

    Hi
    There is No magic solution that solve every condition that need to employ
    Wireless.
    You would have to try since others here are not familiar with your
    environment.
    The general approach that I take for Coverage issues is the following.
    The best way is to lay few CAT6 cables to central locations in the house,
    install Access Points, or Cable/DSL Routers configured as an Access Points
    ( Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point ), and
    connect them to the Main Router.
    You do not want/can not/hate/your client hate to lay Cables.
    Buy a Pair of Wireless Routers that can do WDS (Zexel, SMC, Belkin have
    models that do WDS as is out of the Box.
    Linksys WRT54GL can do WDS when flashed with DD-WRT firmware.
    Using a Laptop loaded with Netstumbler, do a Wireless survey in the house,
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
    According to the Netstumbler's signal strength reading, identify spots that
    have strong signal. and spot with weak, or No signal.
    Evaluate how you can cover the space and start placing WDS units.
    Additional Wireless Routers in WDS Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration
    Modes) has to be placed in spots were the signal is good about Half way to
    the dead spots.
    How many WDS units are needed? It depends on your specific environment (that
    is a good the reason to buying WDS units one at the time, try it, and decide
    on the Next step).
    Otherwise.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    As for NAS. I do not know what is it that you want to do with Central
    Storage, but Wireless NAS is a Bad idea, it is too slow and unstable.
    There are varieties of NASí that have Ethernet interface and can be plugged
    to the Router with a Wire.
    Personally I do not like the Entry Level NASí since they are slow ()even the
    ones that are rated giga) and do Not employ Windows NTFS.
    I prefer the Windows Home Server solution for central Storage.
    http://www.ezlan.net/WHS.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "barcaroller" wrote in message
    >I would like to purchase two Windows laptops and have them both use a
    > wireless router (using 802.11n). One of the laptops may need to contact
    > the
    > wireless router through three concrete walls. I also would like to be
    > able
    > to have one external disk (which is either attached to the wireless router
    > via USB/FireWire/Ethernet or is itself wireless, if such a beast exists).
    > And I would like to have one central printer which, like the external
    > disk,
    > is either attached to the wireless router or is itself wireless).
    >

    > Laptop 1 Central Printer
    >
    > Wireless Router
    >
    > Laptop 2 Central External Disk
    >

    > Can someone point me in the right direction for this kind of setup? Many
    > wireless routers do not support attaching devices. Model recommendations
    > would be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread