Signal suddenly very low or gone - Wireless

This is a discussion on Signal suddenly very low or gone - Wireless ; Hi, My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card. Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between. The ...

  1. Signal suddenly very low or gone

    Hi,

    My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
    adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
    Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.

    The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when it
    suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.

    I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should be
    adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I don't
    believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
    computers to improve the signal.

    Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be resolved.

    Thanks to anyone who can help.

  2. Re: Signal suddenly very low or gone

    "Kewser" wrote in message
    news6DB49CB-6B77-4DA1-9A68-6E7F3537DCE9@microsoft.com...
    > Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    > wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    > that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
    > resolved.

    Microwave ovens

    Cordless home phones

    Someone nearby getting a "wireless" microwave based Internet service

    Commercial Microwave communication equipment added in the area that passes
    over your house.

    Basically anything that operates between 2 and 5 Gigahertz is a potential
    problem.
    Now, I said "potential",...not absolute.

    Nic in PC or the WAP is dying.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  3. Re: Signal suddenly very low or gone

    Hi
    Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
    If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
    change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Kewser" wrote in message
    news6DB49CB-6B77-4DA1-9A68-6E7F3537DCE9@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
    > adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
    > Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
    >
    > The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
    > it
    > suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
    >
    > I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
    > be
    > adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
    > don't
    > believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
    > computers to improve the signal.
    >
    > Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    > wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    > that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
    > resolved.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help.

  4. Re: Signal suddenly very low or gone

    Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
    the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
    me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?

    Thanks!

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
    > If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
    > change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Kewser" wrote in message
    > news6DB49CB-6B77-4DA1-9A68-6E7F3537DCE9@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
    > > adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
    > > Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
    > >
    > > The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
    > > it
    > > suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
    > >
    > > I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
    > > be
    > > adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
    > > don't
    > > believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
    > > computers to improve the signal.
    > >
    > > Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    > > wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    > > that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
    > > resolved.
    > >
    > > Thanks to anyone who can help.

  5. Re: Signal suddenly very low or gone

    The disk that came with the router should have a manual on it (most likely a pdf file).

    "Kewser" wrote in message
    | Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
    | the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
    | me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi
    | > Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
    | > If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
    | > change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
    | > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    | >
    | > "Kewser" wrote in message
    | > news6DB49CB-6B77-4DA1-9A68-6E7F3537DCE9@microsoft.com...
    | > > Hi,
    | > >
    | > > My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
    | > > adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
    | > > Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
    | > >
    | > > The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
    | > > it
    | > > suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
    | > >
    | > > I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
    | > > be
    | > > adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
    | > > don't
    | > > believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
    | > > computers to improve the signal.
    | > >
    | > > Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    | > > wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    | > > that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
    | > > resolved.
    | > >
    | > > Thanks to anyone who can help.

  6. Re: Signal suddenly very low or gone

    Kewser wrote:
    > Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
    > the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
    > me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
    >> If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
    >> change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "Kewser" wrote in message
    >> news6DB49CB-6B77-4DA1-9A68-6E7F3537DCE9@microsoft.com...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
    >>> adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
    >>> Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
    >>>
    >>> The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
    >>> it
    >>> suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
    >>>
    >>> I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
    >>> be
    >>> adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
    >>> don't
    >>> believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
    >>> computers to improve the signal.
    >>>
    >>> Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    >>> wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    >>> that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
    >>> resolved.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks to anyone who can help.

    Once you find the manual and learn how to change channels, choose either
    channel 1, channel 6, or channel 11. For your first try, pick the one
    of these three that is farthest away from the currently set channel.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  7. Re: Signal suddenly very low or gone

    Changing the router's channel seems to have worked.

    Thanks to all!

+ Reply to Thread