Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network - Wireless ; Hi All, I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections ...

  1. Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network

    Hi All,

    I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to
    my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo
    X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections
    without any problems.

    My Secured Connection Specs: Network Authentification - Shared ; Data
    Encryption - WEP

    I used my other laptop and clicked on change advanced settings fr
    wireless network to find the above specs..

    Any help is appreciated...

    Thanks///

  2. Re: Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network

    wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to
    > my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo
    > X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections
    > without any problems.
    >
    > My Secured Connection Specs: Network Authentification - Shared ; Data
    > Encryption - WEP
    >
    > I used my other laptop and clicked on change advanced settings fr
    > wireless network to find the above specs..
    >
    > Any help is appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks///

    The encryption key in the wireless computers must match exactly the one in
    the router. It can be quite difficult and tedious to achieve this goal.
    The last time that I went through this, it took me three tries even though I
    had the laptop next to the computer which manages the router.

    Also, I would not use WEP encryption. As long as you are going through
    this, you might as well use the latest encryption scheme.
    Jim

  3. Re: Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network

    have you checked if there is a new firmware for the wireless router or
    driver for the NIC> Or this link may help.

    Can't connect with security enabled
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=8330#8330

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to
    > my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo
    > X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections
    > without any problems.
    >
    > My Secured Connection Specs: Network Authentification - Shared ; Data
    > Encryption - WEP
    >
    > I used my other laptop and clicked on change advanced settings fr
    > wireless network to find the above specs..
    >
    > Any help is appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks///

  4. Re: Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network

    First, you should be using WPA2 for security or at least WPA.
    You don't state what the wireless NIC is in the x61, but I'm pretty
    sure it has the Intel 4965 a/b/g/n and Intel follows the 802.11n
    draft 2.0 spec where WEP is optional and won't support WEP on an N
    router. Is this your situation?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  5. Re: Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network

    Hi
    As motioned above WEP is not any more considered as good security.
    However if at the moment one of your Network Devices is capable to work on
    only WEP Level.
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to
    > my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo
    > X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections
    > without any problems.
    >
    > My Secured Connection Specs: Network Authentification - Shared ; Data
    > Encryption - WEP
    >
    > I used my other laptop and clicked on change advanced settings fr
    > wireless network to find the above specs..
    >
    > Any help is appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks///

+ Reply to Thread