LAN setup - Wireless

This is a discussion on LAN setup - Wireless ; I can't seem to get my three desktops (XP w/SP-2), and one Laptop (Vista) to all communicate with each other. One dsktp is connected by NIC to the cable modem, the others connect with wireless cards. I've tried Network Magic ...

  1. LAN setup

    I can't seem to get my three desktops (XP w/SP-2), and one Laptop (Vista) to
    all communicate with each other. One dsktp is connected by NIC to the cable
    modem, the others connect with wireless cards. I've tried Network Magic on
    all four with improvement, but not all will communicate with all. So, is
    there a really good white paper on how to do this, like maybe "Networking for
    Dummies with small home networks"?

  2. Re: LAN setup

    Can you ping each other by IP? This how to may help too.

    Vista How toIPCONFIG and Network Settings · Network Sharing · Manage UAC in
    Vista ... From: Date: 11 Nov 2006 Comments: There are 5 versions of Windows
    Vista: 1. ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "***TominFL***" wrote in message
    >I can't seem to get my three desktops (XP w/SP-2), and one Laptop (Vista)
    > all communicate with each other. One dsktp is connected by NIC to the
    > cable
    > modem, the others connect with wireless cards. I've tried Network Magic on
    > all four with improvement, but not all will communicate with all. So, is
    > there a really good white paper on how to do this, like maybe "Networking
    > for
    > Dummies with small home networks"?

  3. Re: LAN setup

    "***TominFL***" wrote in message
    >I can't seem to get my three desktops (XP w/SP-2), and one Laptop (Vista)
    > all communicate with each other. One dsktp is connected by NIC to the
    > cable
    > modem, the others connect with wireless cards. I've tried Network Magic on
    > all four with improvement, but not all will communicate with all. So, is
    > there a really good white paper on how to do this, like maybe "Networking
    > for
    > Dummies with small home networks"?

    I am confused by your description. Do you have a router in all of this? If
    you don't, go buy one because routers make everything so much simpler.

    All signals go through the router. You connect your modem via ethernet to
    the one and only input (meaning that this port sends and recives signals to
    the outside world) ethernet port. You connect your wired computers to one
    of the available output (meaning that these ports send and recieve signals
    from your LAN computers) ports. You configure the router as described in
    the manual.
    You configure the computers with the Network Setup Wizard. You configure
    the wireless computers with the Wireless Network Setup Wizard. You enable
    secure encryption for the wireless signals unless you relish having almost
    everybody listening in.
    At least two MVP posters have web sites which describe these processes in
    great detail. Not only that, the subject is covered by the router manual
    and the computer manuals.
    Jim

  4. Re: LAN setup

    Jim,
    I have a cable modem that goes into a DI-624 wireless modem. My desktop is
    wire- connected to it and the other two desktops and laptop connect
    wirelessly to it. I have the wireless set to use encryption for the 3
    wireless comp. I didn't know there is a wireless network network wizard to
    use for the other units. I'll try that, thanks.
    Tom

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "***TominFL***" wrote in message
    > >I can't seem to get my three desktops (XP w/SP-2), and one Laptop (Vista)
    > > all communicate with each other. One dsktp is connected by NIC to the
    > > cable
    > > modem, the others connect with wireless cards. I've tried Network Magic on
    > > all four with improvement, but not all will communicate with all. So, is
    > > there a really good white paper on how to do this, like maybe "Networking
    > > for
    > > Dummies with small home networks"?

    > I am confused by your description. Do you have a router in all of this? If
    > you don't, go buy one because routers make everything so much simpler.
    >
    > All signals go through the router. You connect your modem via ethernet to
    > the one and only input (meaning that this port sends and recives signals to
    > the outside world) ethernet port. You connect your wired computers to one
    > of the available output (meaning that these ports send and recieve signals
    > from your LAN computers) ports. You configure the router as described in
    > the manual.
    > You configure the computers with the Network Setup Wizard. You configure
    > the wireless computers with the Wireless Network Setup Wizard. You enable
    > secure encryption for the wireless signals unless you relish having almost
    > everybody listening in.
    > At least two MVP posters have web sites which describe these processes in
    > great detail. Not only that, the subject is covered by the router manual
    > and the computer manuals.
    > Jim

  5. Re: LAN setup

    Robert,
    Thanks for the referral. I'll go there and hopefully find out what to do.
    Tom

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Can you ping each other by IP? This how to may help too.
    >
    > Vista How toIPCONFIG and Network Settings · Network Sharing · Manage UAC in
    > Vista ... From: Date: 11 Nov 2006 Comments: There are 5 versions of Windows
    > Vista: 1. ...
    > www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "***TominFL***" wrote in message
    > >I can't seem to get my three desktops (XP w/SP-2), and one Laptop (Vista)
    > > all communicate with each other. One dsktp is connected by NIC to the
    > > cable
    > > modem, the others connect with wireless cards. I've tried Network Magic on
    > > all four with improvement, but not all will communicate with all. So, is
    > > there a really good white paper on how to do this, like maybe "Networking
    > > for
    > > Dummies with small home networks"?

  6. Re: LAN setup

    Hi
    If both computers can connect to to Internet via the Router then usually the
    issue has to do with the Sharing Settings.
    Maybe this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "***TominFL***" wrote in message
    >I can't seem to get my three desktops (XP w/SP-2), and one Laptop (Vista)
    > all communicate with each other. One dsktp is connected by NIC to the
    > cable
    > modem, the others connect with wireless cards. I've tried Network Magic on
    > all four with improvement, but not all will communicate with all. So, is
    > there a really good white paper on how to do this, like maybe "Networking
    > for
    > Dummies with small home networks"?

+ Reply to Thread