configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us - Wireless

This is a discussion on configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us - Wireless ; Configuration Dell laptop with built in WiFi. Linksys wireless router Original state At home, connect wirelessly to the Linksys OK. At office, wireless network connection window shows a list of wireless networks. Changes made 1) At office, configure a new ...

  1. configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us

    Configuration
    Dell laptop with built in WiFi.
    Linksys wireless router

    Original state
    At home, connect wirelessly to the Linksys OK.
    At office, wireless network connection window shows a list of wireless
    networks.

    Changes made
    1) At office, configure a new wireless network using the "set up a wireless
    network for a home or small office" tool that appears on the left side of the
    Wireless Network Connection window.
    2) Followed the prompt and completed the configuration OK (selected assign
    security key manually) but did not see the newly configurred wireless network.
    3) Opened Intel PROSet/Wireless window.
    4) Selected a network and hit the Configure button to create a connection
    profile.
    5) After ~20 seconds, the Configuration window appeared (the computer was
    sluggish), then Windows prompted an error message to the effect of "profile
    database is being used, please shut down the application and re-launch the
    application."
    6) Shut down the application and restarted the computer (several times) and
    tried again but the problem persists.
    7) Now cannot connect to the home Linksys router.
    8) Used System Restore to restore the system (tried different restore
    points) but made no difference.

    It appears the profile database is locked or corrupt. How to fix the
    problem or restore to the original state? Thanks.

  2. RE: configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us

    One more thing. Now, the Wireless Network Connection window does not show
    any wireless network. even though the home wireless network is there. It
    says:
    "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. .... etc."

    Not sure this is important or not. Have another laptop (with Intel built-in
    WiFi) that shows the same message but connects to a wireless network OK.

    "Jan" wrote:

    > Configuration
    > Dell laptop with built in WiFi.
    > Linksys wireless router
    >
    > Original state
    > At home, connect wirelessly to the Linksys OK.
    > At office, wireless network connection window shows a list of wireless
    > networks.
    >
    > Changes made
    > 1) At office, configure a new wireless network using the "set up a wireless
    > network for a home or small office" tool that appears on the left side of the
    > Wireless Network Connection window.
    > 2) Followed the prompt and completed the configuration OK (selected assign
    > security key manually) but did not see the newly configurred wireless network.
    > 3) Opened Intel PROSet/Wireless window.
    > 4) Selected a network and hit the Configure button to create a connection
    > profile.
    > 5) After ~20 seconds, the Configuration window appeared (the computer was
    > sluggish), then Windows prompted an error message to the effect of "profile
    > database is being used, please shut down the application and re-launch the
    > application."
    > 6) Shut down the application and restarted the computer (several times) and
    > tried again but the problem persists.
    > 7) Now cannot connect to the home Linksys router.
    > 8) Used System Restore to restore the system (tried different restore
    > points) but made no difference.
    >
    > It appears the profile database is locked or corrupt. How to fix the
    > problem or restore to the original state? Thanks.

  3. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us

    Hi
    Many offices use a different Wireless logon system than the one at Home.
    First find out how the office system works, what the SSID and password or
    any thing else need for logon..
    Under regular home Wireless the profiles exist just make it easy to log on
    fast to a connection that was already used before. Otherwise there is No
    need for pre-existing profile you can log to any Wireless if you know its
    name and have the proper password;
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Jan" wrote in message
    > Configuration
    > Dell laptop with built in WiFi.
    > Linksys wireless router
    >
    > Original state
    > At home, connect wirelessly to the Linksys OK.
    > At office, wireless network connection window shows a list of wireless
    > networks.
    >
    > Changes made
    > 1) At office, configure a new wireless network using the "set up a
    > wireless
    > network for a home or small office" tool that appears on the left side of
    > the
    > Wireless Network Connection window.
    > 2) Followed the prompt and completed the configuration OK (selected assign
    > security key manually) but did not see the newly configurred wireless
    > network.
    > 3) Opened Intel PROSet/Wireless window.
    > 4) Selected a network and hit the Configure button to create a connection
    > profile.
    > 5) After ~20 seconds, the Configuration window appeared (the computer was
    > sluggish), then Windows prompted an error message to the effect of
    > "profile
    > database is being used, please shut down the application and re-launch the
    > application."
    > 6) Shut down the application and restarted the computer (several times)
    > and
    > tried again but the problem persists.
    > 7) Now cannot connect to the home Linksys router.
    > 8) Used System Restore to restore the system (tried different restore
    > points) but made no difference.
    >
    > It appears the profile database is locked or corrupt. How to fix the
    > problem or restore to the original state? Thanks.

  4. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

    Thanks, Jack.

    2 questions:
    1) I knwo the SSID and password, but how do I connect to the home wireless
    network from the Intel PROSet/Wireless window? On the window, there are 2
    panes. The top pane should show various connection profiles. The lower pane
    shows detected networks. Normally, I select a network from the low pane lis
    and click the Configure button to configure a profile. Once the profile is
    configured, I select the profile at the top pane and hit Connect to make the
    connection. The trouble is Windows now reports error when I configure a
    profile as I a result what I did as described in my first posting.
    2) How do I restore to the original state from what I did? Any means to
    reset the database and start again without reloading the operating system?

    Thanks.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Many offices use a different Wireless logon system than the one at Home.
    > First find out how the office system works, what the SSID and password or
    > any thing else need for logon..
    > Under regular home Wireless the profiles exist just make it easy to log on
    > fast to a connection that was already used before. Otherwise there is No
    > need for pre-existing profile you can log to any Wireless if you know its
    > name and have the proper password;
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >

    > "Jan" wrote in message
    > > Configuration
    > > Dell laptop with built in WiFi.
    > > Linksys wireless router
    > >
    > > Original state
    > > At home, connect wirelessly to the Linksys OK.
    > > At office, wireless network connection window shows a list of wireless
    > > networks.
    > >
    > > Changes made
    > > 1) At office, configure a new wireless network using the "set up a
    > > wireless
    > > network for a home or small office" tool that appears on the left side of
    > > the
    > > Wireless Network Connection window.
    > > 2) Followed the prompt and completed the configuration OK (selected assign
    > > security key manually) but did not see the newly configurred wireless
    > > network.
    > > 3) Opened Intel PROSet/Wireless window.
    > > 4) Selected a network and hit the Configure button to create a connection
    > > profile.
    > > 5) After ~20 seconds, the Configuration window appeared (the computer was
    > > sluggish), then Windows prompted an error message to the effect of
    > > "profile
    > > database is being used, please shut down the application and re-launch the
    > > application."
    > > 6) Shut down the application and restarted the computer (several times)
    > > and
    > > tried again but the problem persists.
    > > 7) Now cannot connect to the home Linksys router.
    > > 8) Used System Restore to restore the system (tried different restore
    > > points) but made no difference.
    > >
    > > It appears the profile database is locked or corrupt. How to fix the
    > > problem or restore to the original state? Thanks.

  5. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is beingus

    Jan wrote:
    > One more thing. Now, the Wireless Network Connection window does not show
    > any wireless network. even though the home wireless network is there. It
    > says:
    > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. .... etc."

    This is the normal message when ProSET controls the adapter.
    It is same when "Let Windows manage this connection" checkbox is cleared
    (what ProSET does automatically on your behalf).

    --PA

  6. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

    Hi
    I am not clear what is it thta you are using.
    There is an Intel Proset Wireless Utility and there is also Windows Zero
    Configuration which is Windows native Wireless utility.
    Make sure that you use only one of the two and the one that you are using
    has to be totally off and out of the system.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Jan" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > connection
    >> > profile.
    >> > 5) After ~20 seconds, the Configuration window appeared (the computer
    >> > was
    >> > sluggish), then Windows prompted an error message to the effect of
    >> > "profile
    >> > database is being used, please shut down the application and re-launch
    >> > the
    >> > application."
    >> > 6) Shut down the application and restarted the computer (several times)
    >> > and
    >> > tried again but the problem persists.
    >> > 7) Now cannot connect to the home Linksys router.
    >> > 8) Used System Restore to restore the system (tried different restore
    >> > points) but made no difference.
    >> >
    >> > It appears the profile database is locked or corrupt. How to fix the
    >> > problem or restore to the original state? Thanks.

  7. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

    Jack,

    How do I select to use Windows Zero Configuration? Or select PROset
    Wireless Utility?

    Why did it change?

    Thanks.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am not clear what is it thta you are using.
    > There is an Intel Proset Wireless Utility and there is also Windows Zero
    > Configuration which is Windows native Wireless utility.
    > Make sure that you use only one of the two and the one that you are using
    > has to be totally off and out of the system.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Jan" wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Jack.
    > >
    > > 2 questions:
    > > 1) I knwo the SSID and password, but how do I connect to the home wireless
    > > network from the Intel PROSet/Wireless window? On the window, there are 2
    > > panes. The top pane should show various connection profiles. The lower
    > > pane
    > > shows detected networks. Normally, I select a network from the low pane
    > > lis
    > > and click the Configure button to configure a profile. Once the profile
    > > is
    > > configured, I select the profile at the top pane and hit Connect to make
    > > the
    > > connection. The trouble is Windows now reports error when I configure a
    > > profile as I a result what I did as described in my first posting.
    > > 2) How do I restore to the original state from what I did? Any means to
    > > reset the database and start again without reloading the operating system?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Many offices use a different Wireless logon system than the one at Home.
    > >> First find out how the office system works, what the SSID and password or
    > >> any thing else need for logon..
    > >> Under regular home Wireless the profiles exist just make it easy to log
    > >> on
    > >> fast to a connection that was already used before. Otherwise there is No
    > >> need for pre-existing profile you can log to any Wireless if you know its
    > >> name and have the proper password;
    > >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    > >>

    > >> "Jan" wrote in message

  8. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

    PA,

    Thanks for your reply. Could you advise how to fix my problem such that I
    can connect to my home wireless network? Thanking you in advance.

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > Jan wrote:
    > > One more thing. Now, the Wireless Network Connection window does not show
    > > any wireless network. even though the home wireless network is there. It
    > > says:
    > > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. .... etc."

    > This is the normal message when ProSET controls the adapter.
    > It is same when "Let Windows manage this connection" checkbox is cleared
    > (what ProSET does automatically on your behalf).
    >
    > --PA

  9. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

    Jan wrote:
    > PA,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. Could you advise how to fix my problem such that I
    > can connect to my home wireless network? Thanking you in advance.

    I could try to help with the "profile database is being used" problem,
    if you tell us versions of your ProSET , the driver, model of the laptop
    and other useful details.
    Have you received the ProSET from your work, or downloaded from Intel or
    Dell? Have your IT at work set some administration options of proset?

    Regards,
    --PA

    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    >> Jan wrote:
    >>> One more thing. Now, the Wireless Network Connection window does not show
    >>> any wireless network. even though the home wireless network is there. It
    >>> says:
    >>> "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. .... etc."

    >> This is the normal message when ProSET controls the adapter.
    >> It is same when "Let Windows manage this connection" checkbox is cleared
    >> (what ProSET does automatically on your behalf).
    >>
    >> --PA

  10. Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

    PA,

    Thanks for offering your help. After fiddling this awhile, Windows got back
    to manage wireless connections. Home connection works OK now. Thanks again
    for your help.

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > Jan wrote:
    > > PA,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your reply. Could you advise how to fix my problem such that I
    > > can connect to my home wireless network? Thanking you in advance.

    > I could try to help with the "profile database is being used" problem,
    > if you tell us versions of your ProSET , the driver, model of the laptop
    > and other useful details.
    > Have you received the ProSET from your work, or downloaded from Intel or
    > Dell? Have your IT at work set some administration options of proset?
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    > >> This is the normal message when ProSET controls the adapter.
    > >> It is same when "Let Windows manage this connection" checkbox is cleared
    > >> (what ProSET does automatically on your behalf).
    > >>
    > >> --PA

+ Reply to Thread