Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router? - Wireless ; I have a wireless router given to me by my provider. Its trash, but I have to use it. The router works fine, but the wireless is garbage. I've got it working but the reliability of the communications is horrible. ...

  1. Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router?

    I have a wireless router given to me by my provider. Its trash, but I
    have to use it. The router works fine, but the wireless is garbage.
    I've got it working but the reliability of the communications is
    horrible. If I set it up unsecured or WEP, it seems to work well, but
    as we know that's not secure, so setting it up WPA (and it lacks WPA2)
    is were I start getting issues. It works (?), but it takes longer to
    get a web page, it stalls, and a few other issues. In particular AVG
    virus updates seem to fail regularly. If I plug in wired, all the
    issues disappear.

    Anyway, I have my old netgear router and I figured if I just connect to
    it, then it to the providers router all would be better.

    I hear talk of setting it up as an access point. Is there a trick to do
    this? Seems that two DHCP items on the same network are a bit wrong.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router?

    Correct, do use two DHCP in the same network. Yes, most wireless routers you
    can setup it as AP. This how to may help.
    How to setup a wireless router as switch
    For easy managing your home or small network, you may want to setup a
    wireless router as switch so that the wired and wireless computers are in
    the same ...
    www.wifimvp.com/howto/setupwirelessasrouter.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Big_Al" wrote in message
    >I have a wireless router given to me by my provider. Its trash, but I
    >have to use it. The router works fine, but the wireless is garbage. I've
    >got it working but the reliability of the communications is horrible. If
    >I set it up unsecured or WEP, it seems to work well, but as we know that's
    >not secure, so setting it up WPA (and it lacks WPA2) is were I start
    >getting issues. It works (?), but it takes longer to get a web page, it
    >stalls, and a few other issues. In particular AVG virus updates seem to
    >fail regularly. If I plug in wired, all the issues disappear.
    >
    > Anyway, I have my old netgear router and I figured if I just connect to
    > it, then it to the providers router all would be better.
    >
    > I hear talk of setting it up as an access point. Is there a trick to do
    > this? Seems that two DHCP items on the same network are a bit wrong.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router?

    That should be; do NOT use two DHCP in the same network

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    > Correct, do use two DHCP in the same network. Yes, most wireless routers
    > you can setup it as AP. This how to may help.
    > How to setup a wireless router as switch
    > For easy managing your home or small network, you may want to setup a
    > wireless router as switch so that the wired and wireless computers are in
    > the same ...
    > www.wifimvp.com/howto/setupwirelessasrouter.htm
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Big_Al" wrote in message
    >>I have a wireless router given to me by my provider. Its trash, but I
    >>have to use it. The router works fine, but the wireless is garbage. I've
    >>got it working but the reliability of the communications is horrible. If
    >>I set it up unsecured or WEP, it seems to work well, but as we know that's
    >>not secure, so setting it up WPA (and it lacks WPA2) is were I start
    >>getting issues. It works (?), but it takes longer to get a web page, it
    >>stalls, and a few other issues. In particular AVG virus updates seem to
    >>fail regularly. If I plug in wired, all the issues disappear.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I have my old netgear router and I figured if I just connect to
    >> it, then it to the providers router all would be better.
    >>
    >> I hear talk of setting it up as an access point. Is there a trick to do
    >> this? Seems that two DHCP items on the same network are a bit wrong.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router?

    Big_Al: Regarding "...Anyway, I have my old netgear router and I figured if
    I just connect to
    it, then it to the providers router all would be better...."

    Can do (most routers provide uplink capability) and two DHCPs will not be
    an issue - only one will be functional - on the netgear.

    BTW - what is it about the company router that requires mandatory use?

    "Big_Al" wrote in message
    >I have a wireless router given to me by my provider. Its trash, but I
    >have to use it. The router works fine, but the wireless is garbage. I've
    >got it working but the reliability of the communications is horrible. If
    >I set it up unsecured or WEP, it seems to work well, but as we know that's
    >not secure, so setting it up WPA (and it lacks WPA2) is were I start
    >getting issues. It works (?), but it takes longer to get a web page, it
    >stalls, and a few other issues. In particular AVG virus updates seem to
    >fail regularly. If I plug in wired, all the issues disappear.
    >
    > Anyway, I have my old netgear router and I figured if I just connect to
    > it, then it to the providers router all would be better.
    >
    > I hear talk of setting it up as an access point. Is there a trick to do
    > this? Seems that two DHCP items on the same network are a bit wrong.
    >
    > Thanks.

  5. Re: Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router?

    AJR wrote:
    > snip>
    >
    > BTW - what is it about the company router that requires mandatory use?

    Verizon uses an Actiontec MI424-WR router that is needed to assign IPs
    to the set top boxes so VOD, media guide, etc work.
    The first one I had for a year allowed WPA2 security, and I did that and
    it worked great. But it died 4 weeks ago and the new router is my
    issue with WPA (highest security).

    I've read that you can use a 3rd party router but I'm not the
    adventurous to go there. I can live as I am or use another router
    behind it. My old netgear is MR814V2 802.11b, a bit slow, so I've
    shopped around and of course checked specs for a new one.

    I got the netgear working tonight, but could not get internet.
    Connected to the Verizon router the Internet works.
    Connected to the Netgear -> verizon does not.
    I can see the netgear and via it, I can see the Verizon router.
    Just ran out of time to diagnose what the issue was. I'm also starting
    to wonder if the old B router has enough features to do what I want. I
    was really trying to get everyone in the 192.168.1.x subnet.

    I'll plug along. This will work someway, one way or else!! ha ha.

  6. Re: Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router?

    Hi
    Yes it can be done. Here is the principle.
    Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Big_Al" wrote in message
    >I have a wireless router given to me by my provider. Its trash, but I
    >have to use it. The router works fine, but the wireless is garbage. I've
    >got it working but the reliability of the communications is horrible. If
    >I set it up unsecured or WEP, it seems to work well, but as we know that's
    >not secure, so setting it up WPA (and it lacks WPA2) is were I start
    >getting issues. It works (?), but it takes longer to get a web page, it
    >stalls, and a few other issues. In particular AVG virus updates seem to
    >fail regularly. If I plug in wired, all the issues disappear.
    >
    > Anyway, I have my old netgear router and I figured if I just connect to
    > it, then it to the providers router all would be better.
    >
    > I hear talk of setting it up as an access point. Is there a trick to do
    > this? Seems that two DHCP items on the same network are a bit wrong.
    >
    > Thanks.

  7. Re: Is there a trick to setting up a wireless router behind a router?

    start complaining nicely and ask for supervisors until you get
    someone who will swap it out. tell them they have downgraded your
    service by downgrading your security.

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:27:07 -0400, Big_Al wrote:

    >Verizon uses an Actiontec MI424-WR router that is needed to assign IPs
    >to the set top boxes so VOD, media guide, etc work.
    >The first one I had for a year allowed WPA2 security, and I did that and
    >it worked great. But it died 4 weeks ago and the new router is my
    >issue with WPA (highest security).

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP