SP3 Blew Away My LAN! - Wireless

This is a discussion on SP3 Blew Away My LAN! - Wireless ; How do I repair the damage done to my LAN settings that was caused by SP3? I have a desktop machine running XP Pro, wired [Ethernet] to a Linksys wireless router, which is hard-wired [CAT5] to my DSL modem. My ...

  1. SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    How do I repair the damage done to my LAN settings that was caused by SP3?

    I have a desktop machine running XP Pro, wired [Ethernet] to a Linksys
    wireless router, which is hard-wired [CAT5] to my DSL modem. My wife's
    laptop running Vista connects wirelessly to the same router. Both machines
    were communicating with each other, sharing drives and a printer, and
    connecting to the Internet via the Linksys router and DSL modem, before SP3
    was installed.

    Now, since SP3, both machines still connect to the Internet, both machines
    can "see" each other in the browser [but cannot ping one another], but the
    laptop cannot connect to the desktop. Nor can the laptop see or use the
    shared drives and printer. My granddaughter brought her new laptop over the
    other day, and it connects to the Internet via the wireless router as well.
    It also can "see" both the desktop and my wife's laptop machine, but cannot
    connect to either of them.

    Has anyone had similar experience with SP3, and what can I do for damage
    control?

  2. Re: SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    On Oct 23, 4:33*pm, Paul wrote:
    > How do I repair the damage done to my LAN settings that was caused by SP3?
    >
    > I have a desktop machine running XP Pro, wired [Ethernet] to a Linksys
    > wireless router, which is hard-wired [CAT5] to my DSL modem. *My wife's
    > laptop running Vista connects wirelessly to the same router. *Both machines
    > were communicating with each other, sharing drives and a printer, and
    > connecting to the Internet via the Linksys router and DSL modem, before SP3
    > was installed.
    >
    > Now, since SP3, both machines still connect to the Internet, both machines
    > can "see" each other in the browser [but cannot ping one another], but the
    > laptop cannot connect to the desktop. *Nor can the laptop see or use the
    > shared drives and printer. *My granddaughter brought her new laptop over the
    > other day, and it connects to the Internet via the wireless router as well. *
    > It also can "see" both the desktop and my wife's laptop machine, but cannot
    > connect to either of them.
    >
    > Has anyone had similar experience with SP3, and what can I do for damage
    > control?

    Check and adjust all firewall settings.

  3. RE: SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    Paul,

    I can commiserate with you.

    I have a desktop pc running XP and a laptop running VISTA. I also run a
    Linksys wireless ADSL router/modem - WAG54 and both my desktop and laptop are
    configured to run wirelessly.
    Six weeks or more ago, my desktop downloaded and installed XP SP3. I was
    then unable to access the Internet. Left things alone for several hours,
    thinking that my ISP may have had some problems but then used my laptop for
    something and found that I was able to access the Internet. Went to my
    desktop - still no access. Tried to ping my Linksys - nothing, tried to ping
    my laptop - nothing! Logged into my router from my laptop browser and
    checked to see my wireless connections. Linksys reported communication with
    both laptop AND desktop?!?

    Restored the system on my desktop, returning to SP2. Logged through the
    router immediately - no problems. Searched the Internet for others who may
    have experienced problems and, after reading quite a lot, let my desktop
    download and re-install XP3 again. This time, however, I had turned off AVG
    and Zonealarm.

    Exactly the same problem, no communication with the Linksys although that
    box reported that I was connected, wirelessly. Still able to access the
    Internet via my laptop.

    Tried to restore my desktop again but this time it failed - no matter what
    date I chose - closing with 'Restoration Incomplete'. Read through dozens of
    MS Support pages on how to remove XP3 (3 or 4 different ways) and none of
    them worked.

    Tried to fix WINSOCK & TCP/IP settings on desktop pc but to no avail. Have
    configured IP settings manually but still no good.

    E-mailed MS Support and have carried out their detailed instructions - still
    no good.
    Read with amusument their last e-mail to me which tells me of the 3 or 4
    ways to remove SP3 and also that I might try and upgrade the firmware in my
    Linksys!! Tried them all again but knew they wouldn't work. Have relayed
    this to MS but they are not even responding to me now.

    Read copius amounts on the Linksys site and the last update for my router
    was 2006 - so don't think that will help too much!

    Finally, sorted out an old computer running XP SP2 - hasn't been switched on
    for 12 months or more, powered it up and guess what - it logged straight into
    my e-mails, no problems!!!

    So I've spent hours and hours on this problem but am no further on.

    Anyone else out ther with any good ideas??

    Regards
    Tony

    "Paul" wrote:

    > How do I repair the damage done to my LAN settings that was caused by SP3?
    >
    > I have a desktop machine running XP Pro, wired [Ethernet] to a Linksys
    > wireless router, which is hard-wired [CAT5] to my DSL modem. My wife's
    > laptop running Vista connects wirelessly to the same router. Both machines
    > were communicating with each other, sharing drives and a printer, and
    > connecting to the Internet via the Linksys router and DSL modem, before SP3
    > was installed.
    >
    > Now, since SP3, both machines still connect to the Internet, both machines
    > can "see" each other in the browser [but cannot ping one another], but the
    > laptop cannot connect to the desktop. Nor can the laptop see or use the
    > shared drives and printer. My granddaughter brought her new laptop over the
    > other day, and it connects to the Internet via the wireless router as well.
    > It also can "see" both the desktop and my wife's laptop machine, but cannot
    > connect to either of them.
    >
    > Has anyone had similar experience with SP3, and what can I do for damage
    > control?

  4. RE: SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    "Tony_F" wrote:

> [...]
    > > laptop running Vista connects wirelessly to the same router. Both machines
    > > were communicating with each other, sharing drives and a printer, and
    > > connecting to the Internet via the Linksys router and DSL modem, before SP3
    > > was installed.
    > >
    > > Now, since SP3, both machines still connect to the Internet, both machines
    > > can "see" each other in the browser [but cannot ping one another], but the
    > > laptop cannot connect to the desktop. Nor can the laptop see or use the
    > > shared drives and printer. My granddaughter brought her new laptop over the
    > > other day, and it connects to the Internet via the wireless router as well.
    > > It also can "see" both the desktop and my wife's laptop machine, but cannot
    > > connect to either of them.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had similar experience with SP3, and what can I do for damage

  5. Re: SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    On Oct 24, 8:56*pm, Tony_F wrote:
> [...]

    > > laptop running Vista connects wirelessly to the same router. *Both machines
    > > were communicating with each other, sharing drives and a printer, and
    > > connecting to the Internet via the Linksys router and DSL modem, beforeSP3
    > > was installed.

    > > Now, since SP3, both machines still connect to the Internet, both machines
    > > can "see" each other in the browser [but cannot ping one another], but the
    > > laptop cannot connect to the desktop. *Nor can the laptop see or use the
    > > shared drives and printer. *My granddaughter brought her new laptop over the
    > > other day, and it connects to the Internet via the wireless router as well. *
    > > It also can "see" both the desktop and my wife's laptop machine, but cannot
    > > connect to either of them.

    > > Has anyone had similar experience with SP3, and what can I do for damage

    What wireless controls are you using? You might want to update the
    drivers and use Linksys' own wireless controls.

  6. Re: SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    At this point I am not sure what controls you are talking about. I have made
    no changes to my Linksys settings since before SP3, when the network was
    working fine. So far as I know the settings in the router are what the thing
    came with, and were set up at the time I installed it..

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > What wireless controls are you using? You might want to update the
    > drivers and use Linksys' own wireless controls.

  7. Re: SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    On Oct 27, 4:06*pm, Paul wrote:
    > At this point I am not sure what controls you are talking about. *I have made
    > no changes to my Linksys settings since before SP3, when the network was
    > working fine. *So far as I know the settings in the router are what thething
    > came with, and were set up at the time I installed it..
    >
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > What wireless controls are you using? *You might want to update the
    > > drivers and use Linksys' own wireless controls.

    There are two control programs that can be used for the wireless
    adapters.

    1) Microsoft's Wireless Zero Configuration

    2) The manufacturer's delivered configuration manager. (Linksys)

  8. Re: SP3 Blew Away My LAN!

    Far as I can tell, I am using #2. Whatever it is, it was working before SP3.

    > There are two control programs that can be used for the wireless
    > adapters.
    >
    > 1) Microsoft's Wireless Zero Configuration
    >
    > 2) The manufacturer's delivered configuration manager. (Linksys)

+ Reply to Thread