Yet another WPA2 question - Wireless

This is a discussion on Yet another WPA2 question - Wireless ; I need to use my personal laptop for a project at work. I work at an elementary school and never had an issue with connecting to the wireless there. However they have updated things and now I need to have ...

  1. Yet another WPA2 question

    I need to use my personal laptop for a project at work. I work at an
    elementary school and never had an issue with connecting to the wireless
    there. However they have updated things and now I need to have WPA2 to be
    able to connect on the school wireless. I downloaded the update from
    Microsoft, and read just about everything I can find to make sure I did it
    all right.

    When I go into my wireless network connection properties and click on the
    network that I need for work, then properties I see WPA and also WPA-PSK. But
    no WPA2

    I have Windows XP 2002 with SP2, my wireless card is Atheros AR5005GS
    Wireless Network. I tried to have our computer tech work on it but of course
    since it is my personal computer all he told me is that I needed WPA2. I did
    update it from Microsoft but I don't see it. Thank you for any assistance
    that you can give me. I really need to get this thing going for work.

  2. Re: Yet another WPA2 question

    Your laptop card may not support WPA2. CHeck with the laptop maker to
    see if there is a firmware update. If not, you will have to get a
    wireless card or USB wireless device that does WPA2.

    Skool Marm wrote:
    > I need to use my personal laptop for a project at work. I work at an
    > elementary school and never had an issue with connecting to the wireless
    > there. However they have updated things and now I need to have WPA2 to be
    > able to connect on the school wireless. I downloaded the update from
    > Microsoft, and read just about everything I can find to make sure I did it
    > all right.
    >
    > When I go into my wireless network connection properties and click on the
    > network that I need for work, then properties I see WPA and also WPA-PSK. But
    > no WPA2
    >
    > I have Windows XP 2002 with SP2, my wireless card is Atheros AR5005GS
    > Wireless Network. I tried to have our computer tech work on it but of course
    > since it is my personal computer all he told me is that I needed WPA2. I did
    > update it from Microsoft but I don't see it. Thank you for any assistance
    > that you can give me. I really need to get this thing going for work.

  3. Re: Yet another WPA2 question

    http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5005GS.htm
    I don't see WPA2 mentioned anywhere in the above link.

    "Skool Marm" Marm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    newsD276B8C-F0FF-4C8C-9A90-C288EB1449D4@microsoft.com...
    >I need to use my personal laptop for a project at work. I work at an
    > elementary school and never had an issue with connecting to the wireless
    > there. However they have updated things and now I need to have WPA2 to be
    > able to connect on the school wireless. I downloaded the update from
    > Microsoft, and read just about everything I can find to make sure I did it
    > all right.
    >
    > When I go into my wireless network connection properties and click on the
    > network that I need for work, then properties I see WPA and also WPA-PSK.
    > But
    > no WPA2
    >
    > I have Windows XP 2002 with SP2, my wireless card is Atheros AR5005GS
    > Wireless Network. I tried to have our computer tech work on it but of
    > course
    > since it is my personal computer all he told me is that I needed WPA2. I
    > did
    > update it from Microsoft but I don't see it. Thank you for any assistance
    > that you can give me. I really need to get this thing going for work.

  4. Re: Yet another WPA2 question

    is Windows managing your wireless connection or some vendors
    utility?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  5. Re: Yet another WPA2 question

    Hi
    Atheros AR5005GS should be working under WPA2. It might be that you do not
    see WPA2 but rather an entry for WPA-AES which is a the current consumers
    rendition of WPA2.
    As mentioned above by Barb, make sure that only one utility is running. I.a
    if you use WZC do Not load the vendor's utility at startup at all.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Skool Marm" Marm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    newsD276B8C-F0FF-4C8C-9A90-C288EB1449D4@microsoft.com...
    >I need to use my personal laptop for a project at work. I work at an
    > elementary school and never had an issue with connecting to the wireless
    > there. However they have updated things and now I need to have WPA2 to be
    > able to connect on the school wireless. I downloaded the update from
    > Microsoft, and read just about everything I can find to make sure I did it
    > all right.
    >
    > When I go into my wireless network connection properties and click on the
    > network that I need for work, then properties I see WPA and also WPA-PSK.
    > But
    > no WPA2
    >
    > I have Windows XP 2002 with SP2, my wireless card is Atheros AR5005GS
    > Wireless Network. I tried to have our computer tech work on it but of
    > course
    > since it is my personal computer all he told me is that I needed WPA2. I
    > did
    > update it from Microsoft but I don't see it. Thank you for any assistance
    > that you can give me. I really need to get this thing going for work.

  6. Re: Yet another WPA2 question

    Thank you everyone for the quick responses! Of course now I really feel like
    a dope! I believe that windows is managing the connection.

    I don't see an entry under Network Authentication for WPA-AES just the
    WPA, WPA-PSK, OPEN and SHARED. However the Data Encription shows TKIP or AES.

    I have also noticed that where it says this connection uses the following,
    there are a number of items that are checked. These all include
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    Service Advertising Protocol
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet scheduler
    NWLink NetBIOS
    NWLink IPX/SPX/Net/BIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
    AEGIS Protocol (IEE 802.1X) v2.3.1.10
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

    LOL so all of those are checked right below the box that says Connect Using
    and then my Atheros wireless. I have never checked any of these so I don't
    know what or which should or should not be checked.
    You all have been great, thank you so much!
    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Atheros AR5005GS should be working under WPA2. It might be that you do not
    > see WPA2 but rather an entry for WPA-AES which is a the current consumers
    > rendition of WPA2.
    > As mentioned above by Barb, make sure that only one utility is running. I.a
    > if you use WZC do Not load the vendor's utility at startup at all.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Skool Marm" Marm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > newsD276B8C-F0FF-4C8C-9A90-C288EB1449D4@microsoft.com...
    > >I need to use my personal laptop for a project at work. I work at an
    > > elementary school and never had an issue with connecting to the wireless
    > > there. However they have updated things and now I need to have WPA2 to be
    > > able to connect on the school wireless. I downloaded the update from
    > > Microsoft, and read just about everything I can find to make sure I did it
    > > all right.
    > >
    > > When I go into my wireless network connection properties and click on the
    > > network that I need for work, then properties I see WPA and also WPA-PSK.
    > > But
    > > no WPA2
    > >
    > > I have Windows XP 2002 with SP2, my wireless card is Atheros AR5005GS
    > > Wireless Network. I tried to have our computer tech work on it but of
    > > course
    > > since it is my personal computer all he told me is that I needed WPA2. I
    > > did
    > > update it from Microsoft but I don't see it. Thank you for any assistance
    > > that you can give me. I really need to get this thing going for work.

  7. Re: Yet another WPA2 question

    are you sure you downloaded and installed

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:39:01 -0700, Skool Marm
    wrote:

    >Thank you everyone for the quick responses! Of course now I really feel like
    >a dope! I believe that windows is managing the connection.
    >
    >I don't see an entry under Network Authentication for WPA-AES just the
    >WPA, WPA-PSK, OPEN and SHARED. However the Data Encription shows TKIP or AES.
    >
    >I have also noticed that where it says this connection uses the following,
    >there are a number of items that are checked. These all include
    >Client for Microsoft Networks
    >Service Advertising Protocol
    >File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    >QoS Packet scheduler
    >NWLink NetBIOS
    >NWLink IPX/SPX/Net/BIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
    >AEGIS Protocol (IEE 802.1X) v2.3.1.10
    >Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    >
    >LOL so all of those are checked right below the box that says Connect Using
    >and then my Atheros wireless. I have never checked any of these so I don't
    >know what or which should or should not be checked.
    >You all have been great, thank you so much!
    >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Atheros AR5005GS should be working under WPA2. It might be that you do not
    >> see WPA2 but rather an entry for WPA-AES which is a the current consumers
    >> rendition of WPA2.
    >> As mentioned above by Barb, make sure that only one utility is running. I.a
    >> if you use WZC do Not load the vendor's utility at startup at all.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "Skool Marm" Marm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> newsD276B8C-F0FF-4C8C-9A90-C288EB1449D4@microsoft.com...
    >> >I need to use my personal laptop for a project at work. I work at an
    >> > elementary school and never had an issue with connecting to the wireless
    >> > there. However they have updated things and now I need to have WPA2 to be
    >> > able to connect on the school wireless. I downloaded the update from
    >> > Microsoft, and read just about everything I can find to make sure I did it
    >> > all right.
    >> >
    >> > When I go into my wireless network connection properties and click on the
    >> > network that I need for work, then properties I see WPA and also WPA-PSK.
    >> > But
    >> > no WPA2
    >> >
    >> > I have Windows XP 2002 with SP2, my wireless card is Atheros AR5005GS
    >> > Wireless Network. I tried to have our computer tech work on it but of
    >> > course
    >> > since it is my personal computer all he told me is that I needed WPA2. I
    >> > did
    >> > update it from Microsoft but I don't see it. Thank you for any assistance
    >> > that you can give me. I really need to get this thing going for work.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  8. Re: Yet another WPA2 question

    Thanks again all. I finally broke down and bought a new network card for a
    whole $40 and now it connects immediately. Gesh and I was making it such a
    difficult thing. Thank you again and I have learned so much just reading all
    the forums!
    Tami

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > are you sure you downloaded and installed
    >
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:39:01 -0700, Skool Marm
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you everyone for the quick responses! Of course now I really feel like
    > >a dope! I believe that windows is managing the connection.
    > >
    > >I don't see an entry under Network Authentication for WPA-AES just the
    > >WPA, WPA-PSK, OPEN and SHARED. However the Data Encription shows TKIP or AES.
    > >
    > >I have also noticed that where it says this connection uses the following,
    > >there are a number of items that are checked. These all include
    > >Client for Microsoft Networks
    > >Service Advertising Protocol
    > >File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    > >QoS Packet scheduler
    > >NWLink NetBIOS
    > >NWLink IPX/SPX/Net/BIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
    > >AEGIS Protocol (IEE 802.1X) v2.3.1.10
    > >Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    > >
    > >LOL so all of those are checked right below the box that says Connect Using
    > >and then my Atheros wireless. I have never checked any of these so I don't
    > >know what or which should or should not be checked.
    > >You all have been great, thank you so much!
    > >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Atheros AR5005GS should be working under WPA2. It might be that you do not
    > >> see WPA2 but rather an entry for WPA-AES which is a the current consumers
    > >> rendition of WPA2.
    > >> As mentioned above by Barb, make sure that only one utility is running. I.a
    > >> if you use WZC do Not load the vendor's utility at startup at all.
    > >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    > >>
    > >> "Skool Marm" Marm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> newsD276B8C-F0FF-4C8C-9A90-C288EB1449D4@microsoft.com...

    > --