Vista machine consuming most of internet connectivity - Wireless

This is a discussion on Vista machine consuming most of internet connectivity - Wireless ; I have a home network consisting of a combined wired XP Pro Desktop and a wireless LAN system in place as well, all running off one modem/router combo DCHP server. When my niece goes on line with her Vista Home ...

  1. Vista machine consuming most of internet connectivity

    I have a home network consisting of a combined wired XP Pro Desktop and a
    wireless LAN system in place as well, all running off one modem/router combo
    DCHP server. When my niece goes on line with her Vista Home Premium laptop
    wirelessly, my desktop machine grinds to barely dial-up speed. Am on ADSL
    3.0 Mbps speed via AT&T. None of my XP Pro laptops steal the connection
    capability away and if I close the internet connection on VISTA, speed
    returns, so something wrong within Vista setup somewhere, I think. Any help
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Vista machine consuming most of internet connectivity

    Hi
    Download this free util., and find out what the computer is actually doing
    while connecting to the Internet.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Galen" wrote in message
    > I have a home network consisting of a combined wired XP Pro Desktop and a
    > wireless LAN system in place as well, all running off one modem/router
    > combo
    > DCHP server. When my niece goes on line with her Vista Home Premium
    > laptop
    > wirelessly, my desktop machine grinds to barely dial-up speed. Am on ADSL
    > 3.0 Mbps speed via AT&T. None of my XP Pro laptops steal the connection
    > capability away and if I close the internet connection on VISTA, speed
    > returns, so something wrong within Vista setup somewhere, I think. Any
    > help
    > appreciated.

  3. Re: Vista machine consuming most of internet connectivity

    Hi Jack:
    I downlaoded and saved the file that TCPView showed when I was not
    connected. I saw no connections that were based from my niece's laptop
    machine recorded here.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Download this free util., and find out what the computer is actually doing
    > while connecting to the Internet.
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897437.aspx
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Galen" wrote in message
    > > I have a home network consisting of a combined wired XP Pro Desktop and a
    > > wireless LAN system in place as well, all running off one modem/router
    > > combo
    > > DCHP server. When my niece goes on line with her Vista Home Premium
    > > laptop
    > > wirelessly, my desktop machine grinds to barely dial-up speed. Am on ADSL
    > > 3.0 Mbps speed via AT&T. None of my XP Pro laptops steal the connection
    > > capability away and if I close the internet connection on VISTA, speed
    > > returns, so something wrong within Vista setup somewhere, I think. Any
    > > help
    > > appreciated.

  4. Re: Vista machine consuming most of internet connectivity

    Hi
    TCPView has be installed and run on the Vista computer. If it does not
    indicate that the computer's TCP/IP generate None stop traffic than it is
    Not Stealing bandwidth, but something else that causes this problem. It
    might be a Router issue. Some old Routers are Not full compatible with
    Vista. Check the support site of the Router to see if there is any
    mentioning of the issue there.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Galen" wrote in message
    > Hi Jack:
    > I downlaoded and saved the file that TCPView showed when I was not
    > connected. I saw no connections that were based from my niece's laptop
    > machine recorded here.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Download this free util., and find out what the computer is actually
    >> doing
    >> while connecting to the Internet.
    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897437.aspx
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "Galen" wrote in message
    >> > I have a home network consisting of a combined wired XP Pro Desktop and
    >> > wireless LAN system in place as well, all running off one modem/router
    >> > combo
    >> > DCHP server. When my niece goes on line with her Vista Home Premium
    >> > laptop
    >> > wirelessly, my desktop machine grinds to barely dial-up speed. Am on
    >> > ADSL
    >> > 3.0 Mbps speed via AT&T. None of my XP Pro laptops steal the
    >> > connection
    >> > capability away and if I close the internet connection on VISTA, speed
    >> > returns, so something wrong within Vista setup somewhere, I think. Any
    >> > help
    >> > appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread