Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network - Wireless ; I setup a wireless network at home using a wired desktop & two (2) wireless laptop pc's, 802.11g. The desktop is connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable to a MyEssentials wireless router & then through a Linksys CM100 ...

  1. Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    I setup a wireless network at home using a wired desktop & two (2) wireless
    laptop pc's, 802.11g. The desktop is connected to the internet via an
    Ethernet cable to a MyEssentials wireless router & then through a Linksys
    CM100 cable modem. I have a Brother laser and a Canon Color Inkjet printers
    connected to the desktop via USB ports.
    I'm using Panda I.S. 2008 (v12.00), CounterSpy (v2.5), and the Windows
    firewall is turned off on all three PC's. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP-3 on
    all three PC's, but only the desktop and one laptop have the October MS
    updates. The other laptop hasn't received the October MS updates yet.
    When the wireless network was first setup many months ago I was able to
    print using all three pc's. I just noticed this printing problem on Thursday
    (10/17) when I couldn't print from one of the laptops. Same thing with the
    other laptop that hasn't been updated nor used in the past 1-2 weeks. (I
    believe I have it narrowed down to the desktop PC based on that laptop.) I
    can now print only from the desktop PC & under ''Printers & Faxes'' in
    ''Control Panel'' of my laptops I still have the printers: but when I try to
    access them I get a "Spooler not running" error message. I verified that
    spooler was started but this didn't help. I also reinstalled SP-3, and
    NetBios, and tried using NetBios config for the connection - no luck.
    I felt certain it was a firewall issue, so I shutdown Panda & CounterSpy, on
    both PC's and the firewall on the router. I could ping from desktop-to-laptop
    and vice versa. I then tried to add a printer on the laptop: I could see the
    desktop PC but still no printers were shown.
    (I'm not 100% certain, but I believe this problem started after the latest
    Windows updates I installed this past Tuesday or Wednesday. I do know that my
    wife printed several pages from the same laptop I'm working on now this past
    Sunday (10/12/08) w/o a problem.)
    Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or prayers are truly welcome. I'm totally
    stumped, but I truly believe it's something really simple and stupid that I'm
    just overlooking.
    Regards

  2. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    We have see some security software doesn't work woth XP SP3. You may try
    clean boot for troubleshooting.

    XP SP3 IssuesXP SP3 Issues. 1. We have received some reports that some
    security software may not work after install XP SP3. You may want to check
    there is a new update ...
    www.chicagotech.net/Windows/xpsp3.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Luther393" wrote in message
    news554D7D2-15B0-4C57-AB27-BB31E5EBF02C@microsoft.com...
    >I setup a wireless network at home using a wired desktop & two (2) wireless
    > laptop pc's, 802.11g. The desktop is connected to the internet via an
    > Ethernet cable to a MyEssentials wireless router & then through a Linksys
    > CM100 cable modem. I have a Brother laser and a Canon Color Inkjet
    > printers
    > connected to the desktop via USB ports.
    > I'm using Panda I.S. 2008 (v12.00), CounterSpy (v2.5), and the Windows
    > firewall is turned off on all three PC's. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP-3
    > on
    > all three PC's, but only the desktop and one laptop have the October MS
    > updates. The other laptop hasn't received the October MS updates yet.
    > When the wireless network was first setup many months ago I was able to
    > print using all three pc's. I just noticed this printing problem on
    > Thursday
    > (10/17) when I couldn't print from one of the laptops. Same thing with the
    > other laptop that hasn't been updated nor used in the past 1-2 weeks. (I
    > believe I have it narrowed down to the desktop PC based on that laptop.) I
    > can now print only from the desktop PC & under ''Printers & Faxes'' in
    > ''Control Panel'' of my laptops I still have the printers: but when I try
    > access them I get a "Spooler not running" error message. I verified that
    > spooler was started but this didn't help. I also reinstalled SP-3, and
    > NetBios, and tried using NetBios config for the connection - no luck.
    > I felt certain it was a firewall issue, so I shutdown Panda & CounterSpy,
    > on
    > both PC's and the firewall on the router. I could ping from
    > desktop-to-laptop
    > and vice versa. I then tried to add a printer on the laptop: I could see
    > the
    > desktop PC but still no printers were shown.
    > (I'm not 100% certain, but I believe this problem started after the latest
    > Windows updates I installed this past Tuesday or Wednesday. I do know that
    > my
    > wife printed several pages from the same laptop I'm working on now this
    > past
    > Sunday (10/12/08) w/o a problem.)
    > Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or prayers are truly welcome. I'm
    > totally
    > stumped, but I truly believe it's something really simple and stupid that
    > I'm
    > just overlooking.
    > Regards

  3. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    Robert:
    Thanks for the tip.
    I installed the SP-3 release several weeks back and things were working
    okay. I can connect to the internet with all 3 PC's; just can't access the
    printers on my desktop from the wireless laptops. BTW, I temporarily disabled
    all security, firewalls, MAC address filtering (router), etc., all w/o
    success.
    If only this forest wasn't in the way I could see the trees.
    Regards

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    > > I felt certain it was a firewall issue, so I shutdown Panda & CounterSpy,
    > > on
    > > both PC's and the firewall on the router. I could ping from
    > > desktop-to-laptop
    > > and vice versa. I then tried to add a printer on the laptop: I could see
    > > the
    > > desktop PC but still no printers were shown.
    > > (I'm not 100% certain, but I believe this problem started after the latest
    > > Windows updates I installed this past Tuesday or Wednesday. I do know that
    > > my
    > > wife printed several pages from the same laptop I'm working on now this
    > > past
    > > Sunday (10/12/08) w/o a problem.)
    > > Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or prayers are truly welcome. I'm
    > > totally
    > > stumped, but I truly believe it's something really simple and stupid that

  4. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    On the desktop, run net share and on the remote computer run net view
    \\desktopipaddress. Compare the results or post back here.

    --
    "Luther393" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > both PC's and the firewall on the router. I could ping from
    >> > desktop-to-laptop
    >> > and vice versa. I then tried to add a printer on the laptop: I could
    >> > see
    >> > the
    >> > desktop PC but still no printers were shown.
    >> > (I'm not 100% certain, but I believe this problem started after the
    >> > latest
    >> > Windows updates I installed this past Tuesday or Wednesday. I do know
    >> > that
    >> > my
    >> > wife printed several pages from the same laptop I'm working on now this
    >> > past
    >> > Sunday (10/12/08) w/o a problem.)
    >> > Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or prayers are truly welcome. I'm
    >> > totally
    >> > stumped, but I truly believe it's something really simple and stupid

  5. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    Robert:
    I ran Net Share on the desktop, and here are the results.

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

    Share name Resource Remark
    IPC$ Remote IPC
    D$ D:\ Default share
    print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    Printer Drivers
    C$ C:\ Default share
    ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
    SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

    Brother HL-5150D Laser
    USB001 Spooled Brother HL-5150D Laser
    Canon iP4200 Color
    USB002 Spooled Canon iP4200
    Printer FaxModem (Photo Qualit Spooled Print to this device to send a
    pho
    Printer11 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document Image
    Wr
    Printer2 FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to send a
    fax
    Printer3 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
    Printer4 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
    Printer7 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
    The command completed successfully.

    When I tried running Net View \\desktopipaddress on the laptop it simply
    said "Syntax error 53 has occurred. Then network path is not found"
    I tried the command with space\, no space with \ and \\ but nothing helped.
    These were with the firewall disabled. I also tried it with the physical IP
    address for the desktop. No go...

    Hope this info helps you see something that I'm missing.

    Regards

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > On the desktop, run net share and on the remote computer run net view
    > \\desktopipaddress. Compare the results or post back here.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Luther393" wrote in message
    > > Robert:
    > > Thanks for the tip.
    > > I installed the SP-3 release several weeks back and things were working
    > > okay. I can connect to the internet with all 3 PC's; just can't access the
    > > printers on my desktop from the wireless laptops. BTW, I temporarily
    > > disabled
    > > all security, firewalls, MAC address filtering (router), etc., all w/o
    > > success.
    > > If only this forest wasn't in the way I could see the trees.
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> We have see some security software doesn't work woth XP SP3. You may try
    > >> clean boot for troubleshooting.
    > >>
    > >> XP SP3 IssuesXP SP3 Issues. 1. We have received some reports that some
    > >> security software may not work after install XP SP3. You may want to
    > >> check
    > >> there is a new update ...
    > >> www.chicagotech.net/Windows/xpsp3.htm
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > >> "Luther393" wrote in message
    > >> news554D7D2-15B0-4C57-AB27-BB31E5EBF02C@microsoft.com...

  6. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    Have you replaced desktopipaddress with the real Desktop IP address?

    --
    "Luther393" wrote in message
    > Robert:
    > I ran Net Share on the desktop, and here are the results.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    >
    > Share name Resource Remark
    > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > D$ D:\ Default share
    > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    > Printer Drivers
    > C$ C:\ Default share
    > ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
    > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    >
    > Brother HL-5150D Laser
    > USB001 Spooled Brother HL-5150D Laser
    > Canon iP4200 Color
    > USB002 Spooled Canon iP4200
    > Printer FaxModem (Photo Qualit Spooled Print to this device to send
    > pho
    > Printer11 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document
    > Image
    > Wr
    > Printer2 FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to send
    > fax
    > Printer3 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
    > Printer4 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
    > Printer7 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
    > The command completed successfully.
    >
    > When I tried running Net View \\desktopipaddress on the laptop it simply
    > said "Syntax error 53 has occurred. Then network path is not found"
    > I tried the command with space\, no space with \ and \\ but nothing
    > helped.
    > These were with the firewall disabled. I also tried it with the physical
    > IP
    > address for the desktop. No go...
    >
    > Hope this info helps you see something that I'm missing.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> On the desktop, run net share and on the remote computer run net view
    >> \\desktopipaddress. Compare the results or post back here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Luther393" wrote in message
    >> > Robert:
    >> > Thanks for the tip.
    >> > I installed the SP-3 release several weeks back and things were working
    >> > okay. I can connect to the internet with all 3 PC's; just can't access
    >> > the
    >> > printers on my desktop from the wireless laptops. BTW, I temporarily
    >> > disabled
    >> > all security, firewalls, MAC address filtering (router), etc., all w/o
    >> > success.
    >> > If only this forest wasn't in the way I could see the trees.
    >> > Regards

  7. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    Yes, and I rec'd the same "Syntax error 53 has occurred. The network path is
    not found".

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Have you replaced desktopipaddress with the real Desktop IP address?
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Luther393" wrote in message
    > > Robert:
    > > I ran Net Share on the desktop, and here are the results.
    > >
    > > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > >
    > > Share name Resource Remark
    > > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > > D$ D:\ Default share
    > > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    > > Printer Drivers
    > > C$ C:\ Default share
    > > ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
    > > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    > >
    > > Brother HL-5150D Laser
    > > USB001 Spooled Brother HL-5150D Laser
    > > Canon iP4200 Color
    > > USB002 Spooled Canon iP4200
    > > Printer FaxModem (Photo Qualit Spooled Print to this device to send
    > > pho
    > > Printer11 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document
    > > Image
    > > Wr
    > > Printer2 FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to send
    > > fax
    > > Printer3 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
    > > Printer4 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
    > > Printer7 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
    > > The command completed successfully.
    > >
    > > When I tried running Net View \\desktopipaddress on the laptop it simply
    > > said "Syntax error 53 has occurred. Then network path is not found"
    > > I tried the command with space\, no space with \ and \\ but nothing
    > > helped.
    > > These were with the firewall disabled. I also tried it with the physical
    > > IP
    > > address for the desktop. No go...
    > >
    > > Hope this info helps you see something that I'm missing.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> On the desktop, run net share and on the remote computer run net view
    > >> \\desktopipaddress. Compare the results or post back here.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > >> "Luther393" wrote in message

  8. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    If you run correct command, the system error 53 could be firewall or
    connection issue. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?

    --
    "Luther393" wrote in message
    > Yes, and I rec'd the same "Syntax error 53 has occurred. The network path
    > is
    > not found".
    >
    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you replaced desktopipaddress with the real Desktop IP address?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Luther393" wrote in message
    >> > Robert:
    >> > I ran Net Share on the desktop, and here are the results.
    >> >
    >> > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    >> >
    >> > Share name Resource Remark
    >> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> > IPC$ Remote IPC
    >> > D$ D:\ Default share
    >> > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    >> > Printer Drivers
    >> > C$ C:\ Default share
    >> > ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
    >> > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    >> >
    >> > Brother HL-5150D Laser
    >> > USB001 Spooled Brother HL-5150D Laser
    >> > Canon iP4200 Color
    >> > USB002 Spooled Canon iP4200
    >> > Printer FaxModem (Photo Qualit Spooled Print to this device to
    >> > send
    >> > pho
    >> > Printer11 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document
    >> > Image
    >> > Wr
    >> > Printer2 FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to
    >> > send
    >> > fax
    >> > Printer3 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
    >> > Printer4 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
    >> > Printer7 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
    >> > The command completed successfully.
    >> >
    >> > When I tried running Net View \\desktopipaddress on the laptop it
    >> > simply
    >> > said "Syntax error 53 has occurred. Then network path is not found"
    >> > I tried the command with space\, no space with \ and \\ but nothing
    >> > helped.
    >> > These were with the firewall disabled. I also tried it with the
    >> > physical
    >> > IP
    >> > address for the desktop. No go...
    >> >
    >> > Hope this info helps you see something that I'm missing.
    >> >
    >> > Regards

  9. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    Robert:
    First off, let me thank you for your help, time & patience...
    I turned off all protection and can ping laptop-to-desktop and vice versa. I
    could see the desktop, but not the printers. (I re-ran Net View on my laptop
    with my desktop's name and received an "System Error 5, Access is denied",
    but at least I could see it.)
    I then started Counterspy and my firewalls one program at a time on one PC
    at a time, pinging after each program was up and running. Worked both
    directions each time. So now I have all security programs running and can
    ping in both directions.
    What's next?

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > If you run correct command, the system error 53 could be firewall or
    > connection issue. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Luther393" wrote in message
    > > Yes, and I rec'd the same "Syntax error 53 has occurred. The network path
    > > is
    > > not found".
    > >
    > > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Have you replaced desktopipaddress with the real Desktop IP address?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > >> "Luther393" wrote in message

  10. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    Robert:
    I GOT IT!!!!
    I went through the Local Security Settings and checked the "Access this
    computer from the network". Both laptops were missing, (I still believe this
    happened with some of the MS Win XP updates I added this past week. Why else
    would both laptops suddenly not be there.) so I added one laptop to the
    desktop PC setting and voila! I could see the desktop, add printers, and
    print. Looks to be okay now.
    I re-booted the desktop and laptop PC's and they still communicated just fine.
    Thanks for your help, and maybe this post might help someone else as well.

    "Luther393" wrote:

    > Robert:
    > First off, let me thank you for your help, time & patience...
    > I turned off all protection and can ping laptop-to-desktop and vice versa. I
    > could see the desktop, but not the printers. (I re-ran Net View on my laptop
    > with my desktop's name and received an "System Error 5, Access is denied",
    > but at least I could see it.)
    > I then started Counterspy and my firewalls one program at a time on one PC
    > at a time, pinging after each program was up and running. Worked both
    > directions each time. So now I have all security programs running and can
    > ping in both directions.
    > What's next?
    >
    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > If you run correct command, the system error 53 could be firewall or
    > > connection issue. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    > > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    > > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > > "Luther393" wrote in message
    > > > Yes, and I rec'd the same "Syntax error 53 has occurred. The network path
    > > > is
    > > > not found".

  11. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    Thank you for the update.

    --
    "Luther393" wrote in message
    > Robert:
    > I GOT IT!!!!
    > I went through the Local Security Settings and checked the "Access this
    > computer from the network". Both laptops were missing, (I still believe
    > this
    > happened with some of the MS Win XP updates I added this past week. Why
    > else
    > would both laptops suddenly not be there.) so I added one laptop to the
    > desktop PC setting and voila! I could see the desktop, add printers, and
    > print. Looks to be okay now.
    > I re-booted the desktop and laptop PC's and they still communicated just
    > fine.
    > Thanks for your help, and maybe this post might help someone else as well.
    >
    > "Luther393" wrote:
    >
    >> Robert:
    >> First off, let me thank you for your help, time & patience...
    >> I turned off all protection and can ping laptop-to-desktop and vice
    >> versa. I
    >> could see the desktop, but not the printers. (I re-ran Net View on my
    >> laptop
    >> with my desktop's name and received an "System Error 5, Access is
    >> denied",
    >> but at least I could see it.)
    >> I then started Counterspy and my firewalls one program at a time on one
    >> PC
    >> at a time, pinging after each program was up and running. Worked both
    >> directions each time. So now I have all security programs running and can
    >> ping in both directions.
    >> What's next?
    >>
    >> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >> > If you run correct command, the system error 53 could be firewall or
    >> > connection issue. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    >> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    >> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> > "Luther393" wrote in message

  12. Re: Printers No Longer Accessible On Wireless Network

    I forgot to add this... I also changed the "Network Access: Sharing and
    security model for local accounts" setting to Classic - local users
    authenticate as themselves.

+ Reply to Thread