RE: XP and Mac security needs - Wireless

This is a discussion on RE: XP and Mac security needs - Wireless ; I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers. I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website numerous times trying to ...

  1. RE: XP and Mac security needs

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "Mattman" wrote:

    > I have a Dell with XP SP2 and a Mac with OSX.4 - both using a linksys
    > wireless router. The wireless connection is unsecured. I've not been able to
    > locate concise instructions on how to configure the router so that a password
    > is required for access. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  2. Re: XP and Mac security needs

    Hi
    The BEFW11S4 was a sub mediocre Wireless Router even when it was new.
    7 years later it probably worth more as an Antique Relic rather than a
    technological device.
    device.
    In any case this Wireless Router is one of the best of the sub #100 category
    and it is on sale for $29.99 after rebate and free shipping.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Phil" wrote in message
> [...]
    > GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    > publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    > growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    > It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    > irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    > Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to
    > bring
    > this desire true!
    >
    > "Mattman" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Dell with XP SP2 and a Mac with OSX.4 - both using a linksys
    >> wireless router. The wireless connection is unsecured. I've not been able
    >> locate concise instructions on how to configure the router so that a
    >> password
    >> is required for access. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  3. Re: XP and Mac security needs

    Phil wrote:
    > I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.

    Then why the hell are you spamming the newsgroups? All you're doing is
    pissing off people who have no control over your hardware. This is a peer
    support newsgroup, and not a suitable location for your ranting. Get over
    it.

+ Reply to Thread