problem with wireless router - Wireless

This is a discussion on problem with wireless router - Wireless ; I have had a msft wireless router for a couple of years & it has worked perfectly to use my laptop. I recently had to replace my hard drive & software on my desktop due to a corrupted hard drive. ...

  1. problem with wireless router

    I have had a msft wireless router for a couple of years & it has worked
    perfectly to use my laptop. I recently had to replace my hard drive &
    software on my desktop due to a corrupted hard drive. I was having trouble
    accessing the internet at all (I have a cable modem) due to a problem with ip
    address recognition. I called my internet provider & they fixed the problem
    with my cable modem. For some reason now when I have the wireless router set
    up with my cable modem running through it I have no connectivity on my
    desktop or laptop. If I run the cable directly from my desktop to the cable
    modem my desktop works fine.
    Can someone please help me with what the problem might be with my wireless
    router & how to try to fix it.
    Thank You!!!!

  2. Re: problem with wireless router

    Hi
    First follow this process to make sure that your computer is configured
    correctly.
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Then read this page, http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
    BTW. Microsoft stop selling Wireless Router years ago, if simple steps do
    not work it might be the time for a fresh start with a new Router of modern
    times.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "matty p" p@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have had a msft wireless router for a couple of years & it has worked
    > perfectly to use my laptop. I recently had to replace my hard drive &
    > software on my desktop due to a corrupted hard drive. I was having
    > trouble
    > accessing the internet at all (I have a cable modem) due to a problem with
    > ip
    > address recognition. I called my internet provider & they fixed the
    > problem
    > with my cable modem. For some reason now when I have the wireless router
    > set
    > up with my cable modem running through it I have no connectivity on my
    > desktop or laptop. If I run the cable directly from my desktop to the
    > cable
    > modem my desktop works fine.
    > Can someone please help me with what the problem might be with my wireless
    > router & how to try to fix it.
    > Thank You!!!!

  3. Re: problem with wireless router

    =?Utf-8?B?bWF0dHkgcA==?= p@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in news:ED49EC62-1D1A-4A4F-A785-F527DE8791F9@microsoft.com:

    > I have had a msft wireless router for a couple of years & it has
    > worked perfectly to use my laptop. I recently had to replace my
    > hard drive & software on my desktop due to a corrupted hard drive.
    > I was having trouble accessing the internet at all (I have a
    > cable modem) due to a problem with ip address recognition. I
    > called my internet provider & they fixed the problem with my cable
    > modem. For some reason now when I have the wireless router set
    > up with my cable modem running through it I have no connectivity
    > on my desktop or laptop. If I run the cable directly from my
    > desktop to the cable modem my desktop works fine.
    > Can someone please help me with what the problem might be with my
    > wireless router & how to try to fix it.
    > Thank You!!!!

    Cable modems are usually configured to give out only one IP address
    to a single device (MAC Addresss). In your case, that device happens
    to be your desktop computer. When you connect your router to the
    modem, the modem will refuse to give an IP address to it because it
    thinks that your desktop is the only device it can assign the address
    to.

    Whenever changing devices connected to a cable modem, you usually
    have to power down the cable modem by unplugging it from the wall
    (never use the on/off button), then plug your new device (router)
    into the modem, then plug the modem and router into the wall to power
    them up again. Simply switching network cables rarely works.

    HTH,
    John

+ Reply to Thread