How much Router do you need to have it act as an External NIC? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How much Router do you need to have it act as an External NIC? - Wireless ; (If it can be done at all.) I keep seeing ref to AP as in Access Point, but I think I'm talking something else. What I'm wondering about is a setup where a standalone system with a built in 10/100baseT ...

  1. How much Router do you need to have it act as an External NIC?

    (If it can be done at all.)

    I keep seeing ref to AP as in Access Point, but I think I'm talking
    something else.

    What I'm wondering about is a setup where a standalone system with a
    built in 10/100baseT interface plugged into an external 80211g wireless
    router which in turn connects to another wireless router which is in
    turn on the Internet via a DSL Modem.

    Computer(nic)--WifiRouter1 <--> WifiRouter2--Modem--Internet

    This is different than having a computer on the Internet adn plugging a
    wireless Router into it, allowing farther out wireless systems to
    connect through that PC.

    Instead it's using a combination 10/100bT-wifi router combo instead of a
    wifi PCI NIC.

    TBerk

  2. Re: How much Router do you need to have it act as an External NIC?

    what brands and models are the 2 routers? the key is can #1 act as
    an "access point client"? or you could buy a wireless gaming
    adapter.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP