network printer - Wireless

This is a discussion on network printer - Wireless ; Home network Connecting a HP all in one 6300 series printer directly to linksys router. Vista laptop can see the printer xp box cannot.. I heard there was a patch to resolve this so xp and vista can both share ...

  1. network printer

    Home network

    Connecting a HP all in one 6300 series printer directly to linksys router.

    Vista laptop can see the printer

    xp box cannot.. I heard there was a patch to resolve this so xp and vista
    can both share a printer on the network..

    Is this true, if so I cannot seem to find it in the vast patch pile at
    microsoft.

    Thanks if anyone can point this out or confirm if it exists, or provide some
    possible solution.

    Tyler

  2. Re: network printer

    On Oct 16, 8:40*pm, "Tyler" wrote:
    > Home network
    >
    > Connecting a HP all in one 6300 series printer directly to linksys router..
    >
    > Vista laptop can see the printer
    >
    > xp box cannot.. I heard there was a patch to resolve this so xp and vista
    > can both share a printer on the network..
    >
    > Is this true, if so I cannot seem to find it in the vast patch pile at
    > microsoft.
    >
    > Thanks if anyone can point this out or confirm if it exists, or provide some
    > possible solution.
    >
    > Tyler

    If the printer is directly connected onto the router, then it does not
    use the the "network" sharing between Vista and XP.

    You must:

    1) Assign an fixed (aka static) IP address. Must be using the same IP
    subnet (ex: 192.168.1.xxx / 255.255.255.0) as the router and other
    PCs.

    2) Install the correct printer drivers on each PC that will be using
    this printer. Install the Vista version on Vista and XP version on
    XP.

    3) Configure all / any software firewall (on every PC who will be
    using this printer) so that the HP "printing system" can access the
    printer correctly.

  3. Re: network printer

    Your printer is connected directly to the network, there is no such patch as
    the version of Windows your running on each PC is completely irrelevant as
    far as the printer is concerned, one PC does not use the other to print.
    Verify that the port settings on the XP box match those of the Vista box.

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    "Tyler" wrote in message
    > Home network
    >
    > Connecting a HP all in one 6300 series printer directly to linksys router.
    >
    > Vista laptop can see the printer
    >
    > xp box cannot.. I heard there was a patch to resolve this so xp and vista
    > can both share a printer on the network..
    >
    > Is this true, if so I cannot seem to find it in the vast patch pile at
    > microsoft.
    >
    > Thanks if anyone can point this out or confirm if it exists, or provide
    > some possible solution.
    >
    > Tyler

  4. Re: network printer

    "Patch" not necessary - HP6300 is network capable - router assigns IP
    address.
    Does XP computer "see" the Vista unit? If not - correct this first.

    On XP select "Add printer" - proceed with selecting a network printer.

    "Tyler" wrote in message
    > Home network
    >
    > Connecting a HP all in one 6300 series printer directly to linksys router.
    >
    > Vista laptop can see the printer
    >
    > xp box cannot.. I heard there was a patch to resolve this so xp and vista
    > can both share a printer on the network..
    >
    > Is this true, if so I cannot seem to find it in the vast patch pile at
    > microsoft.
    >
    > Thanks if anyone can point this out or confirm if it exists, or provide
    > some possible solution.
    >
    > Tyler

  5. Re: network printer

    thanks..

    I'll give it a go..

    Tyler

    "AJR" wrote in message
    > "Patch" not necessary - HP6300 is network capable - router assigns IP
    > address.
    > Does XP computer "see" the Vista unit? If not - correct this first.
    >
    > On XP select "Add printer" - proceed with selecting a network printer.
    >
    > "Tyler" wrote in message
    >> Home network
    >>
    >> Connecting a HP all in one 6300 series printer directly to linksys
    >> router.
    >>
    >> Vista laptop can see the printer
    >>
    >> xp box cannot.. I heard there was a patch to resolve this so xp and vista
    >> can both share a printer on the network..
    >>
    >> Is this true, if so I cannot seem to find it in the vast patch pile at
    >> microsoft.
    >>
    >> Thanks if anyone can point this out or confirm if it exists, or provide
    >> some possible solution.
    >>
    >> Tyler

+ Reply to Thread