connecting a wilress router to a wired router - Wireless

This is a discussion on connecting a wilress router to a wired router - Wireless ; I have connected to the internet a wired router and I would like to connect my new linksys G wireless router to this network to make it work as an access point to have wireless access all over my house. ...

  1. connecting a wilress router to a wired router

    I have connected to the internet a wired router and I would like to connect
    my new linksys G wireless router to this network to make it work as an
    access point to have wireless access all over my house. I connected my
    wireless router to an OUT port of the wired router but no signal. What
    special adjustments do I have to do to connect both devises and get my
    wireless internet, so far no internet?
    Thanks

    Neo

  2. Re: connecting a wilress router to a wired router

    Mr. Leon wrote:
    > I have connected to the internet a wired router and I would like to connect
    > my new linksys G wireless router to this network to make it work as an
    > access point to have wireless access all over my house. I connected my
    > wireless router to an OUT port of the wired router but no signal. What
    > special adjustments do I have to do to connect both devises and get my
    > wireless internet, so far no internet?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Neo

    You have to connect one of the LAN ports of the wireless router to one
    of the LAN ports of the wired router. That is, you have to leave the
    WAN/Internet port of the wireless router open.

    You will also need to disable the DHCP server of the wireless router and
    (probably) set it's LAN-facing IP address to an IP address compatible
    with the settings of the wired router.

    For more detailed instructions, see MVP Jack's page at
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html (you will almost certainly *not*
    need a crossover cable; your new Linksys router's ports should have
    automatic MDI/MDI-X configuration).

    While you are configuring the second router to act as an access point,
    also configure its wireless settings: set a password to access its
    configuration utility, change the SSID from its default to something
    unique (but not your last name or address), and set the encryption mode
    and password. You should use WPA2-Personal (sometimes called WPA2-PSK)
    if all of your other wireless devices can support WPA2. If one or more
    of your other wireless devices can only support WPA-Personal, use that.
    If one or more of your other wireless devices can only support WEP,
    seriously consider upgrading them (if possible) or replacing them.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  3. Re: connecting a wilress router to a wired router

    Mr. Leon wrote:
    > I have connected to the internet a wired router and I would like to
    > connect my new linksys G wireless router to this network to make it
    > work as an access point to have wireless access all over my house. I
    > connected my wireless router to an OUT port of the wired router but
    > no signal. What special adjustments do I have to do to connect both
    > devises and get my wireless internet, so far no internet?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Neo

    My advice? Unless you have some compelling reason to separate these two
    networks (which is what you'll have, if you use this setup), don't use a
    wireless router; get a wireless access point instead. You'd just connect it
    to your wired router/ethernet switch, and you'd have one big network
    including wired and wireless clients, and can share files/printers between
    them. Or, get rid of the wired router you're using & replace it with the new
    Linksys, so you have the same effect. This would be a lot less complicated.

  4. Re: connecting a wilress router to a wired router

    Mr. Leon wrote:
    > I have connected to the internet a wired router and I would like to connect
    > my new linksys G wireless router to this network to make it work as an
    > access point to have wireless access all over my house. I connected my
    > wireless router to an OUT port of the wired router but no signal. What
    > special adjustments do I have to do to connect both devises and get my
    > wireless internet, so far no internet?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Neo

    P.S. For best results, do not configure *any* wireless security until
    *after* you have your wireless connection working satisfactorily. Just
    don't leave it on and unsecured if you have to stop working on it for a
    while.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: connecting a wilress router to a wired router

    Thank you for all the information. I will give it a try.

    Neo