File Sharing Lost after SP3 - Wireless

This is a discussion on File Sharing Lost after SP3 - Wireless ; I have a Lapptop with XP Home Edition communicating wireless to a Linksys Router. I used to be able to share file, print, and acces the internet. Since SP3, I can still do everything except File Sharing. My other 2 ...

  1. File Sharing Lost after SP3

    I have a Lapptop with XP Home Edition communicating wireless to a Linksys
    Router. I used to be able to share file, print, and acces the internet.
    Since SP3, I can still do everything except File Sharing. My other 2
    desktops are Xp Professional, also with SP3.

    I have removed and re-added File & Print Sharing, Changed Workgroup names,
    and re-joined workgroups. the Netbios over IP is seleced. The windows
    firewall has an exception for File and Print Sharing

    Suggestions?

  2. Re: File Sharing Lost after SP3

    What do you receive if using net view \\problematicpcipaddress from other
    computers? Also what's the result of net share in the problematic pc?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Dan" wrote in message
    >I have a Lapptop with XP Home Edition communicating wireless to a Linksys
    > Router. I used to be able to share file, print, and acces the internet.
    > Since SP3, I can still do everything except File Sharing. My other 2
    > desktops are Xp Professional, also with SP3.
    >
    > I have removed and re-added File & Print Sharing, Changed Workgroup names,
    > and re-joined workgroups. the Netbios over IP is seleced. The windows
    > firewall has an exception for File and Print Sharing
    >
    > Suggestions?

  3. Re: File Sharing Lost after SP3

    Net Use, Net View seem to show all shares as long as I use the IP address.
    If I use the computer name, I get an error
    Dan

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What do you receive if using net view \\problematicpcipaddress from other
    > computers? Also what's the result of net share in the problematic pc?
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Dan" wrote in message
    > >I have a Lapptop with XP Home Edition communicating wireless to a Linksys
    > > Router. I used to be able to share file, print, and acces the internet.
    > > Since SP3, I can still do everything except File Sharing. My other 2
    > > desktops are Xp Professional, also with SP3.
    > >
    > > I have removed and re-added File & Print Sharing, Changed Workgroup names,
    > > and re-joined workgroups. the Netbios over IP is seleced. The windows
    > > firewall has an exception for File and Print Sharing
    > >
    > > Suggestions?

  4. Re: File Sharing Lost after SP3

    I can map a drive to the other computer if I use the IP address rather than
    the computer name. Sounds like name resolution is not working
    Dan

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What do you receive if using net view \\problematicpcipaddress from other
    > computers? Also what's the result of net share in the problematic pc?
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Dan" wrote in message
    > >I have a Lapptop with XP Home Edition communicating wireless to a Linksys
    > > Router. I used to be able to share file, print, and acces the internet.
    > > Since SP3, I can still do everything except File Sharing. My other 2
    > > desktops are Xp Professional, also with SP3.
    > >
    > > I have removed and re-added File & Print Sharing, Changed Workgroup names,
    > > and re-joined workgroups. the Netbios over IP is seleced. The windows
    > > firewall has an exception for File and Print Sharing
    > >
    > > Suggestions?

  5. Re: File Sharing Lost after SP3

    Correct. This is name resolution issue. Have you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
    Or posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.

    --
    "Dan" wrote in message
    > Net Use, Net View seem to show all shares as long as I use the IP address.
    > If I use the computer name, I get an error
    > Dan
    >
    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> What do you receive if using net view \\problematicpcipaddress from other
    >> computers? Also what's the result of net share in the problematic pc?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Dan" wrote in message
    >> >I have a Lapptop with XP Home Edition communicating wireless to a
    >> >Linksys
    >> > Router. I used to be able to share file, print, and acces the
    >> > internet.
    >> > Since SP3, I can still do everything except File Sharing. My other 2
    >> > desktops are Xp Professional, also with SP3.
    >> >
    >> > I have removed and re-added File & Print Sharing, Changed Workgroup
    >> > names,
    >> > and re-joined workgroups. the Netbios over IP is seleced. The windows
    >> > firewall has an exception for File and Print Sharing
    >> >
    >> > Suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread